Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steven Gerrard to announce that he's leaving Liverpool

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
A true legend of the game - football is desperately missing more one club men like him. Would love for one day Albion to have a player like him, a local lad who bleeds blue & white and spends his entire career here.

Of course, if they spent their entire career here then they'd actually be doing something that Gerrard didn't do, seeing as he's off elsewhere.

I do feel a little bit for Jamie Carragher when everyone talks about Gerrard as being the quintessential 'old school' player as JC really did spend his whole career there, from debut to retirement, whilst performing (non-goalscoring) heroics. If memory serves, he could barely walk by the end of the Milan final but was still diving in front of everything/everyone.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Of course, if they spent their entire career here then they'd actually be doing something that Gerrard didn't do, seeing as he's off elsewhere.

I do feel a little bit for Jamie Carragher when everyone talks about Gerrard as being the quintessential 'old school' player as JC really did spend his whole career there, from debut to retirement, whilst performing (non-goalscoring) heroics. If memory serves, he could barely walk by the end of the Milan final but was still diving in front of everything/everyone.

Agree with that and if my memory serves me correct, didn't Gerrard flirt with joining Chelsea a while back?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Agree with that and if my memory serves me correct, didn't Gerrard flirt with joining Chelsea a while back?
I don't remember whether he openly suggested a move could be on but, at the same time, I don't recall him ruling it out either...at least, not for a while.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Credit to him in one sense for staying there so long, but says a lot for his lack of real ambition that he never seriously persued a move to a real top club which was going to win trophies year after year.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Great player in some poor Liverpool sides ,but best Liverpool player ever?I'd give that accolade to Dalglish followed by Rush.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Credit to him in one sense for staying there so long, but says a lot for his lack of real ambition that he never seriously persued a move to a real top club which was going to win trophies year after year.

Felt comfortable at Liverpool? Bigger fish in a slightly smaller swim than say Chelsea.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

I think that credit would have been in his bank account.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah.Because Chelsea is a much bigger club than Liverpool.

Hopefully Wenger will now take the lead and quit Arsenal.
I don't understand what Wenger has to do with Gerrard? Or is it just a hope that he leaves? Personally I'd like him to go, if only for Arsenal fans to realise in a few months that he's been doing a good job for years, they just don't appreciate it.

Also, I can't tell whether you're sarcastically calling Chelsea bigger than Liverpool or not...

SAC

May 21, 2014
One, possibly two seasons too late.

A good player, great at times. Annoying whiny voice.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Truly great player who has shown immense loyalty to the club. On his day still good but no longer great. Don't exoect to see him loaned back to another club like Lampard. Firstly he's too loyal to do that and secondly he is no
Longer as good as Lampard.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Can't see him doing a Lampard and playing for a different English side tbh. even on loan etc.

Probably about the right time though to move, not been as good last 18 months but still had flashes. Don't overstay and as long as abroad then can't see bin dippers being too angry

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A great player. I truly felt for him with that slip. You kind of knew that was his last chance to win the premiership with that mistake.

A loyal club servant - no angel I know - but a better role model than many.

His highlight will still be that second half in Istanbul. He fired that team up.

I hope he does what players of old did and joins tranmere. Go have fun.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Two of my favourite non-Albion football moments came from Gerrard in two of the best finals of all time. The Champions League final against Milan & FA Cup final against West Ham.

A true legend of the game - football is desperately missing more one club men like him. Would love for one day Albion to have a player like him, a local lad who bleeds blue & white and spends his entire career here.

And not forgetting one of my favourite Amex moments when he came on as a sub against us.

Announcer: "And coming on, Steven Gerrard"

Crowd: "WHO ?"

Childish and puerile yes, but still very funny :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here