Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Two loanees out there last night - one went for the fifty fifties and put his all in, the other didn't seem to want to break sweat. Sidwell has got better and better, Wilson has got worse and worse.
Sign him up if he fancies it for sure. Towell could do a lot worse than having Stephens, Kayal and Sidwell to learn from.

If display was Wilson 'not breaking sweat', he must be some player if he tries. Like all of them, he was fantastic first half and had Wednesday terrified.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If display was Wilson 'not breaking sweat', he must be some player if he tries. Like all of them, he was fantastic first half and had Wednesday terrified.

I think it's very churlish to criticise any of the players last night. They gave their all and did us proud, even Wilson IMO, he's just not yet the superstar he was hyped to be, not convinced he ever will be.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Another one we need to hang on to is Mr Rosenior:

He said, “There is disappointment in not getting through after you’ve worked hard all season.

"The reaction from the crowd at the final whistle was brilliant and they have been absolutely unbelievable all season. I’ve only been here nine or ten months, but it feels like I’ve been here nine or ten years.

“It’s hard to look at the positives when you’ve given so much and don’t get what you quite deserve. But in saying that, what we have done is built a basis for this club going forward and to be successful in years to come. Hopefully I can play a part in that in the future.

“I have been involved in play-off defeats before, I’ve been involved in not winning on the last day to go up before and it stays with you. What it does do is motivate you to make sure that next time it’s you on the right end of the right result.

“Look at Leicester, they missed out on the play-offs, Anthony missed a penalty at Watford and the following season they won the league with nearly 100 points. That will be our aim next season, make no doubt about that. We want to go up next year and this will drive us on to be stronger and better.”

The defender recognised that the challenge to win promotion next season will be just as difficult, but believes the squad’s character will ensure they are there or thereabouts come May next year.

Every year is tough in the Championship. It doesn’t matter the size of the club, what matters is the size of the hearts of the players. Are they [the relegated sides] willing to come down to this league?

What we have shown this week is that we have the stomach for it and it’s going to be another long, difficult season, but I think we have a lot of good times to come.

“I’m delighted to be here and nights like this will stay with me and drive me to help push this club on to where it belongs. I know that when I came to this club, people might have laughed when I said I thought we could do it this year, but we were two goals away from being automatically promoted.

“I believe in all the people at the club, from the top all the way through the club, everyone works together. We’re the end product of that.

“The fans, the people, the board, the staff, everybody is pushing for the club to move in the right direction. We can’t lose that spirit. When we get knocked down, we’ve got to get back up and push on again."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I've just seen the interview on Seagull Player.

Really impressed with his commitment to the club, especially when you consider he was only here on loan. He talks about 'we' and 'us', and talks about how we get over this heartbreak next season. I can't actually remember when we've had a loan player who has shown so much dedication and was so invested in the plight of the club (he ran his socks off through the pain barrier last night). It is really refreshing, especially when you consider that he came here for game time and couldn't get a look in because of the form of Kayal and Stephens.
Well said.

He was asked about his contract with Stoke expiring at the end of June and said that he wanted to stay at BHAFC and fight for promotion next year. I think we could do a lot worse.
Excellent.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Would definitely like to keep Sidwell. Has been great in the last few games. We may well also lose a bit of experience this summer with Ankergren, Calderon, Greer, Crofts and Zamora all quite possibly leaving so a player like Sidwell would help to fill that void. Really hope we can agree a deal for next season and get Kayal and Stephens to extend their deals. With Ince and Towell, that should be central midfield sorted.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"The reaction from the crowd at the final whistle was brilliant
The least we could do Liam :bowdown:

Now I know some people had a long way to go home last night, so I don't blame them for getting away, but plenty of others left at or just before the final whistle. How the hell can you not stay behind to show the players your appreciation?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Another one we need to hang on to is Mr Rosenior:

He said, “There is disappointment in not getting through after you’ve worked hard all season.

"The reaction from the crowd at the final whistle was brilliant and they have been absolutely unbelievable all season. I’ve only been here nine or ten months, but it feels like I’ve been here nine or ten years.

“It’s hard to look at the positives when you’ve given so much and don’t get what you quite deserve. But in saying that, what we have done is built a basis for this club going forward and to be successful in years to come. Hopefully I can play a part in that in the future.

“I have been involved in play-off defeats before, I’ve been involved in not winning on the last day to go up before and it stays with you. What it does do is motivate you to make sure that next time it’s you on the right end of the right result.

“Look at Leicester, they missed out on the play-offs, Anthony missed a penalty at Watford and the following season they won the league with nearly 100 points. That will be our aim next season, make no doubt about that. We want to go up next year and this will drive us on to be stronger and better.”

The defender recognised that the challenge to win promotion next season will be just as difficult, but believes the squad’s character will ensure they are there or thereabouts come May next year.

Every year is tough in the Championship. It doesn’t matter the size of the club, what matters is the size of the hearts of the players. Are they [the relegated sides] willing to come down to this league?

What we have shown this week is that we have the stomach for it and it’s going to be another long, difficult season, but I think we have a lot of good times to come.

“I’m delighted to be here and nights like this will stay with me and drive me to help push this club on to where it belongs. I know that when I came to this club, people might have laughed when I said I thought we could do it this year, but we were two goals away from being automatically promoted.

“I believe in all the people at the club, from the top all the way through the club, everyone works together. We’re the end product of that.

“The fans, the people, the board, the staff, everybody is pushing for the club to move in the right direction. We can’t lose that spirit. When we get knocked down, we’ve got to get back up and push on again."

Love that man

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think it's very churlish to criticise any of the players last night. They gave their all and did us proud, even Wilson IMO, he's just not yet the superstar he was hyped to be, not convinced he ever will be.

Agree completely. Thought we were superb last night, especially the first half, and could have been 3 up at half time. Just seen a replay again of Wednesday's goal and I can't believe the referee and linesman both missed such a blatant push from Hooper. That is what cost us in the end although we do need to be more clinical in front of goal too.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The fact of the matter is that he's not had the desired effect since signing, in the main because he simply wasn't fit when he arrived, and a good performance last night shouldn't be used to overlook that there have been a lot of very poor performances from him. However, he is a good player and with a full pre-season under his belt, if his wages are sensible, then he should be kept on for sure as you'd expect him to improve from a lot of what we've seen since he rejoined.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The fact of the matter is that he's not had the desired effect since signing, in the main because he simply wasn't fit when he arrived, and a good performance last night shouldn't be used to overlook that there have been a lot of very poor performances from him. However, he is a good player and with a full pre-season under his belt, if his wages are sensible, then he should be kept on for sure as you'd expect him to improve from a lot of what we've seen since he rejoined.

I love the fact fans are using the fact he was poor on his debut when he had no match fitness or sharpness against him, when almost every game after he's been decent. Many choosing to rewrite history.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
He was rubbish until he scored at Forest and then he was great. It was definitely that magical moment that turned him from crap to good, that one swing of a boot. :jester:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I love the fact fans are using the fact he was poor on his debut when he had no match fitness or sharpness against him, when almost every game after he's been decent. Many choosing to rewrite history.

I'm not rewriting history. He's been poor almost every game I've seen him this year (and I am a ST holder), with the exception of the Forest game and yesterday. He also did quite well when he came on for, what, 15 minutes against QPR and got an assist.

But Cardiff away he was awful, Wednesday at home in the league he was anonymous, I didn't think he was great against Birmingham, he didn't play well in the first leg of the play-offs and the rest of the time he's barely played more than 20 minutes max, making almost no impact in those substitute performances.

Now as I said, there are reasons for that, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's been brilliant or a revelation, as he quite simply hasn't.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not rewriting history. He's been poor almost every game I've seen him this year (and I am a ST holder), with the exception of the Forest game and yesterday. He also did quite well when he came on for, what, 15 minutes against QPR and got an assist.

But Cardiff away he was awful, Wednesday at home in the league he was anonymous, I didn't think he was great against Birmingham, he didn't play well in the first leg of the play-offs and the rest of the time he's barely played more than 20 minutes max, making almost no impact in those substitute performances.

Now as I said, there are reasons for that, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's been brilliant or a revelation, as he quite simply hasn't.

Ok that is your opinion. I'd disagree about Birmingham, Friday & Boro though

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I hope he stays, he was magnificent last night. Reminded me of watching Kante for Leicester which for someone of his age is quite impressive.

He won't play every game next season but would be a great option to have. Plus we'll need his experience as I think we will be losing a lot of that this summer.

He's a top bloke too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here