Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The only way Sidwell will improve is with games, unfortunately whilst he is getting rid of the rust we'll have performances like last night. Shame we don't have a reserve team anymore.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only way Sidwell will improve is with games, unfortunately whilst he is getting rid of the rust we'll have performances like last night. Shame we don't have a reserve team anymore.

In the last eight years he has played in a total of 166 games which is not many. Appearing to be happy to be a bench warmer for a large part of that time doesn't inspire me to think he is going to be that committed to us. Certainly didn't appear that bothered last night, to me.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Agreed, apart from the Ince bit. Boy did we miss Kayal. Zamora looks increasingly past it too, and Knockaert is hit and miss - when he us good he us fantastic. Tonight he wasn't. Good to keep 4 clean sheets in a row though, well done back 5 - looking like an increasingly solid unit.

Have to agree about Zamora,
Yes I know he has scored some important goals but at the moment ( IMO) he dont look that interested/ fit, I thought he had crocked himself with his first sprint as he was holding his back and hobbling like an old man for a while.

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
The thing with Sidwell is he is no longer a 4-4-2 player. He looked good in the first 45 minutes up at Hull when he sat deep with 3 in midfield. He is a very defensive player and always looks lost when he crosses the half way line, but he is good in that deep-lying role. However I just don’t understand bringing him in on loan, I can understand Crofts being frustrated as he is still wants to get into the Wales side for the Euros this summer. Sidwell does come with experience of getting out of this division though and he does suggest that he is a leader, so he may be useful to us off the pitch.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
The thing with Sidwell is he is no longer a 4-4-2 player. He looked good in the first 45 minutes up at Hull when he sat deep with 3 in midfield. He is a very defensive player and always looks lost when he crosses the half way line, but he is good in that deep-lying role. However I just don’t understand bringing him in on loan, I can understand Crofts being frustrated as he is still wants to get into the Wales side for the Euros this summer. Sidwell does come with experience of getting out of this division though and he does suggest that he is a leader, so he may be useful to us off the pitch.
This post strikes Sidwell as a Bridcutt-ish defensive midfielder

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
This post strikes Sidwell as a Bridcutt-ish defensive midfielder

It just seems to be the way he has developed and changed as a player, in the same sense that Bobby has really. Sidwell used to be this box to box midfielder who could get forward and score goals in a 4-4-2 system, but it appears he hasn't got the legs to do that anymore. When he did play for Stoke, they played him in a deep role, in a 4-3-3 system.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Sidwell is getting unfair criticism as CH set out defensively to not lose and catch Wednesday on the counter when they were going forward. As a result he played in a Bridcutt type holding containing role rather than a marauding forward midfielder, which he did effectively. He was obviously playing to instructions and a team game plan.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think Sidwell is getting unfair criticism as CH set out defensively to not lose and catch Wednesday on the counter when they were going forward. As a result he played in a Bridcutt type holding containing role rather than a marauding forward midfielder, which he did effectively. He was obviously playing to instructions and a team game plan.

thats the impression I got from the commentary and he admitted it was not his best game
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

He made one interception and one tackle all game. If we set up to catch them on the counter attack, why did our defensive line spend most of the game on the half way line? The fact is, he no longer has the attributes to dominate a game at this level (possibly due to the fact that he's played so little football for the last two years), and the drop in quality from Kayal to Sidwell was scary.

I appreciate that you were a big advocate of us signing him based on his performances in his 20s in the Premier League, but he was atrocious. When he admits on radio that he's been rubbish, it's because he hasn't followed instructions!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Kayal was on the bench, so if he had a niggle it can't have been much. If CH simply wanted to rotate the squad, he got it wrong and possibly cost us the chance of automatic promotion. I am a big for of Chris's, but no manager is perfect, and I feel he's being too cautious and it's costing us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He made one interception and one tackle all game. If we set up to catch them on the counter attack, why did our defensive line spend most of the game on the half way line? The fact is, he no longer has the attributes to dominate a game at this level (possibly due to the fact that he's played so little football for the last two years), and the drop in quality from Kayal to Sidwell was scary.

I appreciate that you were a big advocate of us signing him based on his performances in his 20s in the Premier League, but he was atrocious. When he admits on radio that he's been rubbish, it's because he hasn't followed instructions!

I think you are being very harsh on him as he was far from atrocious he did the job expected of him as the holding midfielder and perhaps him saying that he thought he had a bad game was because he judged himself on what he knows he is capable of rather than playing to instructions.as he did.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think you are being very harsh on him as he was far from atrocious he did the job expected of him as the holding midfielder and perhaps him saying that he thought he had a bad game was because he judged himself on what he knows he is capable of rather than playing to instructions.as he did.

And I think you're protecting him because you advocated his signing when it happened, despite no proof that he was still up to the job. Unsurprisingly, he's not yet proven himself up to the job - and he most certainly didn't prove himself to be adequate last night.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I thought he was shocking last night and played most of the later stages of the second half behind the back four. That said it was only his second start in quite some time. He needs games, whether we can afford to give them to him is another question...

Kayal's passing between the lines getting the ball into the strikers was sorely missed last night. We looked pedestrian from start to finish and second half I could only see one winner and it wasn't us. We looked fatigued, the Tues/Sat grind is taking it's toll IMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here