Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve McMahon Is The Future Of Football In Australia?

From www.theworldgame.com.au

"Perth Glory has announced that former England international and Liverpool midfielder Steve McMahon will be its head coach for the inaugural A-League season.

"I see a move to Australia as a tremendous challenge for me," 43-year-old McMahon said on Tuesday.

"Australia is highly regarded around the world in so many different sports, and I have no doubt that this can also be achieved in football."

"The potential is limitless and I'm confident I can play a role in this."

During a glittering career McMahon played over 600 games for Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa and Manchester City and has been coaching for the past years in the English lower leagues with Swindon Town (1994-1998) and Blackpool (2000-2004).

"Steve will bring a wealth of international coaching exposure to the club from an illustrious and long playing career," Perth Glory chairman Nick Tana said.

McMahon won three League Championships, a League and Cup Double, and two FA Cups as a player and played 18 times for England, which included the 1988 European Championship and 1990 World Cup.

"He has an extensive global network of football contacts of the highest pedigree and Steve will be reporting to the club's technical manager, Mich D'Avray," Tana added.

McMahon has beaten a short-list of overseas coaches - including former Chelsea manager John Hollins - for the job."

Hmmmmmm......

Will never forget his bald pate getting redder and redder in a game at Withdean against Blackpool when he got sent off from the bench....

I for one know exactly what I will be chanting when Perth come to play Melbourne;

Steve McMahon is a w@nker, is a w@nker... :tosser:

Even if you have no interest in foreign football, the new A-League soon to start in Oz is an exciting opportunity for this country to get the greates game in the world right at last, BUT is Steve McMahon the answer? I think not.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
McMahon will be looking forward to lying on the beach.

Are Perth still the daddies over there?

What's the story with this new league South Yarra Seagull? Do South Melbourne still exist. I went to watch a few games at their ground in Albert Park. Full of poms eating pistachio's!

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
8 teams in the A league are:

Adelaide United
Auckland Kingz (Token New Zealand team)
Central Coast Mariners
Melbourne Victory
Newcastle United
Perth Glory
Queensland Lions
Sydney FC

Hope I didn't steal anyones thunder!

I'm looking forward to McMahon pitting his wits against the very best in Oceania football in the Oceania Champions Cup. A 2 week festival of football in Tahiti, going toe to toe with the likes of Stickland Brothers (Samoa Champions), AS Magenta (New Caledonia) and Nikao Sokattack (Cook Islands). That's one hell of a challenge!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here