Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Harper on Poyet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given how much Gus talked about how much he'd like to manage other clubs, and named them, I do not doubt that he imagined a scenario where he would be offered a Premier League job and wouldn't have been too good at hiding it. We were not big enough for Gus, you must have been a little blind not to realise this within a year of him joining us. As far as Gus was concerned he was only here until something better turned up. He did a fine job but he never seemed, to me, to see us as long term once it became clear he was going to be unable to buy the players he really wanted.

His choice and good luck to him. The way things are at the moment I'd rather have Oscar. Who knows he may have wandering eyes within a year or two as well, but at the moment I get the impression that he is relishing what he can achieve with the Albion. :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I offer you a small insight here as a one off, prior to Gus' Thursday press call he would often grab a coffee and watch SSN with myself and who ever else was there early. Once or twice the main news was a PL manger getting fired , I can't remember who. Gus would clap his hands and rub them together and say something like ' here we go' but always in jest , only ever in jest .

As someone once said to me "Behind every joke is an element of truth" :moo:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
was he here long enough to form an opinion? maybe he was just bitter we made him play all the way down here as he usually gets a nosebleed everytime he leaves Newcastle! he's a solid keeper, who, if he pushed himself, woulda been playing regular first team football at an earlier age

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just saying what I heard fellas. I would imagine that SSN is quite popular at training ground canteens by the way.

But we're talking about the University of Sussex here. I've been in there a few times and I can't remember whether there's a TV or not, but I certainly can't see a bunch of cost-cutters like the UoS administrators shelling out for a Sky subscription.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I offer you a small insight here as a one off, prior to Gus' Thursday press call he would often grab a coffee and watch SSN with myself and who ever else was there early. Once or twice the main news was a PL manger getting fired , I can't remember who. Gus would clap his hands and rub them together and say something like ' here we go' but always in jest , only ever in jest .

Noted, thanks.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Steve Harper in a professional career spanning 20 years has made just over 200 appearances. Loyal or a lack of ambition?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cant help think this sounds like an in-joke. he gained a rep as someone looking for a premiership job very early.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure Mr Harper on Gus can be relied on. Vicente certainly couldn't.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It may well be the case that Poyet's attitude was well known amongst the players and that was what they talked about, hence Harper knew of it.

While he's a Newcastle fan, I can't really see what he stands to gain from slating Poyet or making something like that up. So there is probably a grain of truth in it somewhere, even if the specifics don't quite stack up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ooh, something else for the Gus-haters to latch onto. I wish everyone could just wish Gus the best and move on with no vitriol, would be so much easier to get behind Oscar and the team if so.

Agreed. Plus of course it would make it easier for Oscar to do his job too. He must get well and truly pissed off when he hears peopse saying, Gus this, and Gus that. all the time.

As much as l liked Gus as a person, and thought him to be a great manager, (l still do by the way), the bottom line is he has gone, and it's time for all of us to move on now.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But we're talking about the University of Sussex here. I've been in there a few times and I can't remember whether there's a TV or not, but I certainly can't see a bunch of cost-cutters like the UoS administrators shelling out for a Sky subscription.

Have definitely seen Sky Sports News on in the canteen at the training ground.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Harper may be talking cr*p but I much prefer (so far) the way Oscar doesn't moan or make excuses with all the injuries he's had to contend with, I bet Gus would have been on about it all the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do chuckle when I see fans going on about managers, players and loyalty. The only loyal ones are the fans as it's their team. To nearly all the others it's just a job. I know some of my colleagues, past & present, have talked about getting a better job, whilst at work.
Anyone who really thought that we would have a manager for decades is very deluded. People like Gradi or Ferguson are extremely rare. The average span of any manager is 18 months so 3.5 years in one place is good going. Who knows where Oscar will be in two years time. Hopefully still with us, but who knows?
The analogies of broken relationships, whoring and ex partners when talking of managerial moves is just so much tosh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here