Steve Foster?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
Does anyone really think he was a good albion player? As in - technically good, not just a comedy mascot.

jeremy beadles hand

Jul 31, 2003
Hangleton
Good player. He is still doing well for himself! He started up a players insurance company and has big names Like Tiery Henry on his books.

Just thought i'd share that with you in case any one cares!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
He was great in the air, I remember when he was playing for Oxford at the Goldstone and our stikers didnt get a sniff all afternoon because of him. We lost 3-0 I think!

Not the greatest centre half ever, but a great servant to the club. His ability to get into position first for a high kick out from the opposing goalkeeper was as good as I´ve seen - time and time again he would head the ball straight back into their half. Lots of centre halves do this by fighting for the ball but Fozzie seemed to be able to judge very early where the ball was going to land, and once he got to that position he took some shifting!

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Fozzie had a certain stature about him. Was very solid in the air. Although i still beleive that had he not returned from suspension for the FA Cup replay, we may have done better that losing 4-0.
A brighton legend, not necessarily the best defender we have had.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Tend to agree with oatsy.
He was over rated, excellent in the air but little else, I think its that that gave him stature.

JordanGHarris

Aug 18, 2003
The bloke was as slow as my granny, but could anyone beat him in the air, NO!!!

The man lead the back well, what more could you ask for?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I only ever saw Steve Foster in his second spell with us. He was not the most gifted technically, and he was not blessed with pace. However, he was an excellent defender because of his ability to read the game and position himself effectively, couple this with good timing for headers and tackles, consistent performance, and you have a very solid player.

Fozzie is a legend for very good reasons.

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
Rambo said:
had he not returned from suspension for the FA Cup replay, we may have done better that losing 4-0.

Word!

Exactly, but hes still thought of as a 'legend'? I know these sour grapes are kinda old but I was talking about great albion players last night and his name popped up!

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
dont forget he got an england cap against Quwait!

he is my fave albion player of all time!

met him in whetherspoons a few years ago, good bloke

I'm sorry, but how is there any doubt that he was a good player?

We were in the top flight when he was at his best, remember. So therefore he must be better than Danny Cullip, Colin Pates, Paul McCarthy, and anyone else who has donned a centre back jersey over the last ten years. In fact I'd say only Mark Lawrenson was better and possibly Eric Young. Fozzie didn't just play top flight footie with us, either.

In his second spell he was also excellent despite getting on a bit. He wasn't just good in the air, he was brilliant - who could forget the way he marked thingy Francis the six foot eight forward at the Goldstone - beat him to every header. He was both a bone crunching and well timed tackler.

Fozzie is a legend. Will always be a legend. Also the only Albion player to p**s in the foyer of the Dog stadium squash courts whilst completely bladdered. A proper footballer.:drink: :drink: :drink:

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
apart from Tommy Cook Reporting i think most of you must be only reflecting on his second spell. in his first he was good enough to play for England 3 times with England not conceding any goals (0-0 against Netherlands included). the first time i saw him he was centre forward for Portsmouth so speed wasn't much of an issue. Having said that Mullery signed him and played him only at centre half ....

displayhero_club.asp

Thats how good he was.

top notch in my book:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Van der Gully

Jul 10, 2003
Brunssum, NL
He was a good servant of the Albion, pretty reliable, hard as nails and a no nonsence defender.

One aspect of his play that nobody has picked up on was his quality as a leader, particularly in his second spell at the club, by this time the quality of his team mates had already started to drift downwards, he could often be heard barking orders at less experienced members of the team. I am sure that our run into the downward spiral would have been more of a sprint without his presence in the team.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Fozzie was a god when at Brighton. Class player although not as good as Lawro, but he seemed to have an air about him. Strikers were always scared of him, even more so in his 2nd stint at the club. I always liken him to schmichael, as in everyone who played against him always thought that they were at a disadvantage even before the whistle went. Fozzie also called the back line in his 2nd stint down here, he always shouted " up to the stewards" when taking the defence out. I WAS THE STEWARD!!!!!:flameboun

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I lost count of the amount of games when we played a shocker...except Fozzie.
He almost took on teams single handed & bullied a response from his team-mates.
He loved a drink too :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports