Steve Coppell:: From Victor Chandler

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Milkybar Kid

Feb 22, 2009
Now the nuts of Steve Coppell coming to you is about two things:

Firstly Coppell has to accept that for the next 2 years he will be managing a League 1 side. There is no way that Brighton will be promoted this year. There are too many strong sides in the mix at the top......and you cannot cover the ground....well you might.....just get in the top 6. So for Steve Coppell he has to think this. I'm going to be a League 1 manager for at least 2 years......and even then I'm not guaranteed to get out of the league (The Championship is so competative that you could see another 3 "Big Clubs" come down next year). Now do I want to be with a club that.......alright has a good long term future with the new stadium, and maybe Blooms money, but hang on here. Steve Coppell is a very saleable product.

I would put it like this: Any Championship side worth their salt will want Coppelll....if he wants it. I would even go on to say that there would be at least 8 Premier League sides that would happpily have him at the helm.

Now if Coppell wants the Brighton job then it's a no brainer. Bloom should pay whatever he asks. The problem is that Coppell does not need to commit himself just yet. Time is on his side.....and I may be wrong....but I suspect Coppell will turn it down.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
I think you are missing the point of where he lives and where geographically he wants to work. I hear Brighton is a great spot for him.

Milkybar Kid

Feb 22, 2009
I will admit that is a big plus in your favour. Coppell could see this as a long term project. I get that. And that's why we went short on him. I just don't see him committing now. We don't care either way. I'll be a great coup for you if he does come. Brighton are a club that will be going places. You are in some ways a sleeping giant.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Hey. Vic why have you taken to calling Tony by his surname. :bigwave:

Milkybar Kid

Feb 22, 2009
Not really....just a reality check. We do every next manager market in the football league. Everyone wants Fabio Capello to be the next manager. Any person that thinks that Alan Curbishley will go back to Brighton is deluded. It is just not going to happen. If you get Steve Coppell it will be a tremendous coup. But the odds are against it. I'm just being realistic.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Not really....just a reality check. We do every next manager market in the football league. Everyone wants Fabio Capello to be the next manager. Any person that thinks that Alan Curbishley will go back to Brighton is deluded. It is just not going to happen. If you get Steve Coppell it will be a tremendous coup. But the odds are against it. I'm just being realistic.

When was curbishley last here?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I actually think Coppell would relish a bit of time out of the limelight in league one. My concern would be whether he would crack when we get into the premiership. A nice concern to have though!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He played for you between 1987 to 1990. Obviously not old enough to remember....

Best penalty taker we ever had.

By the way is it common practice to take down the betting over night and put it back up in the morning?

Milkybar Kid

Feb 22, 2009
Yep it is.....it's not great but you can get caught unawares.....we are cautious animals by nature....it'll be up first thing. :D

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I will admit that is a big plus in your favour. Coppell could see this as a long term project. I get that. And that's why we went short on him. I just don't see him committing now. We don't care either way. I'll be a great coup for you if he does come. Brighton are a club that will be going places. You are in some ways a sleeping giant.
In that case tell Vic to stop being such a tight ****, and put his price back up!!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
A very good, clear headed, summarisation of the situation. Still doesn't mean that Coppell won't join us, but he's made a good case for backing someone else at much better odds. I still feel that SC regards us as unfinished business and I think he has a soft spot for us - so I believe he will join us.

Now, what's the prognosis for the big race in Oz tonight?

Milkybar Kid

Feb 22, 2009
The gambling process is just that really. We have to react to money. If punters want to back a selection....exclusively to others we have to cut the price. It doesn't neccesarily mean that Coppell has got the job (it might....often manager markets are all too often dictated by money put down....so there is hope that Coppell will be announced).

The odds shortening is a reaction to money placed on him....not that he has got the job. They are two different things...

Milkybar Kid

Feb 22, 2009
A very good, clear headed, summarisation of the situation. Still doesn't mean that Coppell won't join us, but he's made a good case for backing someone else at much better odds. I still feel that SC regards us as unfinished business and I think he has a soft spot for us - so I believe he will join us.

Now, what's the prognosis for the big race in Oz tonight?

Haven't a clue....but as a football fan who has a soft spot for Brighton...I loved the Goldstone Ground, and you are a very decent club who should be in better shape....I hope Coppell comes. In fact I'd be jealous....it would be some appointment.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
SC gets 18 month contract with a brief to get us into The Championship and to mentor the successor to take on us to the promised land!

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I do remember reading an article about coppell and talking about his previous time here, he said it was the best job he`d ever had with regards to the day to day running, he loved training in bton/falmer/withdean, he loved the club and the chairman and thoroughly enjoyed himself. Lets face it, the brighton managers job is a great job to have, you could certainly be living and working in alot worse places.

Whatever your aspirations, your conditions of work and area do have a bearing on your choice of job and its that memory i`m hoping swings it for Coppell as much as our future promise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports