Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Steve Cooper now favourite to be next Crystal Palace manager

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
According to Oddschecker, the Swansea boss is 7/4 most places with odds shortening, while Lampard has drifted to 2nd favourite at 9/4. Dyche is still hovering around 7/2 third favourite.

I would be very happy if Cooper got the Palace job. He's done well in the Championship but this is a big step up. People might say that Graham Potter only took Swansea to tenth in the Championship but I would contend that Potter had the Unique Selling Point of superior psychological and tactical intelligence that convinced Bloom he was the man to overhaul personnel and playing style.

Has Cooper got a simialr USP, the ability and the tools to keep an ageing, largely out of contract Palace side competitive in the Prem?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I read that as Steve Coppell.

I'm now depressed.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Steve Cooper.jpg

Steve Lamacq.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
According to Oddschecker, the Swansea boss is 7/4 most places with odds shortening, while Lampard has drifted to 2nd favourite at 9/4. Dyche is still hovering around 7/2 third favourite.

I would be very happy if Cooper got the Palace job. He's done well in the Championship but this is a big step up. People might say that Graham Potter only took Swansea to tenth in the Championship but I would contend that Potter had the Unique Selling Point of superior psychological and tactical intelligence that convinced Bloom he was the man to overhaul personnel and playing style.

Has Cooper got a simialr USP, the ability and the tools to keep an ageing, largely out of contract Palace side competitive in the Prem?

Might be the perfect replacement. His football makes Roy Hodgson look like Royinho van der Hodgendorp. Absolutely dire to watch but difficult to beat.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] Swanny, what's the thinking on Cooper?

Some recent stuff from the Planet Swans forum:

"My personal beef has been about the quality of our play & seeming lack of progress in our style, I appreciate the club is in the results business rather than the entertainment version but we have become barely watchable recently - feels like the financial benefit in promotion is the target rather than the sporting/style/achievement, IF (& that’s a big one) we were to make it up I’d expect a minimal spend WBA style plan on coming straight back down & look to utilise the media money to establish financial security (maybe even a sale) rather than sporting success."

"Cooper is a hard guy to like. He's prickly, slow to learn and keen to allocate blame but not accept it. His team has consistently played slow, cautious, boring, largely direct football for his entire tenure. We've become a club that grinds points out via attrition rather than winning them in style. It's unustainable in the long run, and the idea of trying to do it in the Prem is frankly terrifying.

Whilst he deserves credit for two playoff finishes in a row, I don't see a massive disconnect between that and wishing that he'd go about his business in a different way, or hoping that someone who can bring a bit of fun back to watching the Swans gets the job instead."

"I don’t think anyone loves Steve Cooper.

His football isn’t the most aesthetic, we had a few bright spells during games earlier in the season, but they are few and far between. He’s a difficult guy to take to and as Dr W says further down the thread is great at deflecting blame but taking credit."

"I don't much like Cooper. I don't like the way he manages my side, I don't like the football he plays and I don't much like what I've seen of him as a person. I'll shed not a single tear on the day he departs. But it's frankly mad to suggest that we've achieved the playoffs in consecutive seasons despite him."

"I don’t know where you’re getting this ‘love’ for him from. No one on here likes the style of football, no one finds him engaging or charismatic, I doubt anyone is impressed by the way he blames players for defeats.

It’s pretty much split between those who give him credit for the results he’s got in spite of all the above and those who can’t wait for him to leave the club."

"He has fantastic contacts and we have players who would have been highly unlikely to come here without him and this has probably led to our league position which ultimately could lead to us winning the playoffs so for our club he has done a great job with the money that could potentially come in

As a fan however the football is basic and hard to watch and will only become harder next season should we go up"

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Cooper is a hard guy to like. He's prickly, slow to learn and keen to allocate blame but not accept it. His team has consistently played slow, cautious, boring, largely direct football for his entire tenure. We've become a club that grinds points out via attrition rather than winning them in style.

Perfect fit then. Won't need to change their style.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here