Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

Southseagull

Apr 19, 2009
Surprised that hardly been involved in the squad this season, hopefully he will get an opportunity with the suspensions of Elphick and Hawkins coming up!

Hopefully he will along with the other first year pro’s get opportunities at some stage as otherwise it seems strange that we develop them at the club for 8/9 years and then don’t give them further chances to develop.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
To be honest though if we cant get our 'A' team winning games why would you chuck in some youngsters? I dont expect them to now either because we need victories

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Surprised that hardly been involved in the squad this season, hopefully he will get an opportunity with the suspensions of Elphick and Hawkins coming up!

Hopefully he will along with the other first year pro’s get opportunities at some stage as otherwise it seems strange that we develop them at the club for 8/9 years and then don’t give them further chances to develop.

Players rarely get a go as first year pros unless they are really good. Players like Hammond and Virgo didn't become first team regulars until their third or fourth year as pro so Cook not playing does not mean he is not regarded as potentially a good player for the future.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'd like to see him get a chance, shirley his defending can't be any worse than Whing or bombscare.

Southseagull

Apr 19, 2009
Players rarely get a go as first year pros unless they are really good. Players like Hammond and Virgo didn't become first team regulars until their third or fourth year as pro so Cook not playing does not mean he is not regarded as potentially a good player for the future.

Fair point I just hope that him and Brinkhurst are developed and given opportunites in the future.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Fair point I just hope that him and Brinkhurst are developed and given opportunites in the future.

I agree. Cook looked a really good prospect when I saw him last year and I was slightly surprised he didn't get a two year deal in the summer. Hopefully he will get a chance at some point but he is still very young so is bound to make mistakes if chucked in when we are struggling. Probably is better to loan him out initially.

Haven't seen Brinkhurst but he too seems to be highly rated at the club.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I agree. Cook looked a really good prospect when I saw him last year and I was slightly surprised he didn't get a two year deal in the summer. Hopefully he will get a chance at some point but he is still very young so is bound to make mistakes if chucked in when we are struggling.

I dunno, you could say he'd be more inclined to make a mistake if dropped in against premier league opposition but he more than held his own against man city last year

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He might get a chance now as Virgo probably will replace the banned Elphick and, assuming Jake Wright isn't fit, Whing will stay at left back.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
The premiership bloods it's youngsters at 18,19. If a player is good enough then they should play. I saw Cook a couple of times last season - he looked competant. i don't get the idea of not playing them until they are 20 or 21.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Wasnt that because the respective managers at the time didnt rate them. It was rumoured that SC was prepared to let Virgo join Exeter for nothing.

To be fair Virgo is an average Div 1 player - he had one good season and we got a very good deal from celtic. We were lucky there.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont but if you dont give them a chance you'll never know, Joel Lynch didnt do too bad when thrown in to cover injuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here