Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Clarke

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
There was a decent amount of applause for Murray from the West stand when he was subbed after picking up an injury.

D

Deleted member 2719

Been on the sauce again, Mouldy?
He's shown nothing but class each time he has scored against us.
It's not his fault that we make it so easy for him.

Yes cranberry 😀 Never said he wasn't class Slicker boy, just think he has taken it so personally against the Albion .
So far he has cost us a promotion and now he may have cost us a relegation.
So sorry I don't like him much.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He probably has some justification to feel a little disappointed at the way he was treated at the end of his time with us. Had we given him a couple of quid more, we'd probably have reached the premier league, not palace. He hasn't ever celebrated a goal he's scored against us either. I like Murray, great player for us.

Come off it, he wanted a lot more than a couple of quid. He wanted double what we were offering him, and a signing on fee as well. We had a wages cap at the time which was nothing to do with transfer fees before the anti Gus brigade jump on the fee for CMS.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Only issue i would have with Murray is he went to Palace. I understand the reasons to a point and i wish he had stayed. He never celebrates against us. But Palace....why?

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Yes cranberry 😀 Never said he wasn't class Slicker boy, just think he has taken it so personally against the Albion .
So far he has cost us a promotion and now he may have cost us a relegation.
So sorry I don't like him much.

He was trying to get the best deal for himself (annoying as that may be, but I guess we would all try to do the same). The rest is just him doing his job. He hasn't cost us anything in terms of promotion and potential relegation. The club made a lot of choices for him.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Come off it, he wanted a lot more than a couple of quid. He wanted double what we were offering him, and a signing on fee as well. We had a wages cap at the time which was nothing to do with transfer fees before the anti Gus brigade jump on the fee for CMS.
Of course he did. But doesn't our decision look bad now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
True, but 90% of us knew we should have done all we could to keep him.

is there really that many people who forget how mediocre he was in his first season in the Championship?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
is there really that many people who forget how mediocre he was in his first season in the Championship?
He was mediocre. But he's a moody one isn't he? He took time to settle with us, the same thing happened with palace. We will never know, but I believe it was a huge mistake to not renew his contact.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

That's a good post apart from the bits that are bollox, which is all of it. He was on just over 3k a week here and after leading us to the Championship with a hatful of goals the Albion offerered him 6k over two years. His agent thought that too low and after speaking with more than one other club they settled on Palaces 8.5 k a week over 3 years. We replaced him with a 2.5 million pound player who is on 12.5 k a week over his 3 year deal.
Of course it's easy in hindsight and it must be remembered that Murray didn't pull up any trees in his first Palace season but if you want to do the maths ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's a good post apart from the bits that are bollox, which is all of it. He was on just over 3k a week here and after leading us to the Championship with a hatful of goals the Albion offerered him 6k over two years. His agent thought that too low and after speaking with more than one other club they settled on Palaces 8.5 k a week over 3 years. We replaced him with a 2.5 million pound player who is on 12.5 k a week over his 3 year deal.
Of course it's easy in hindsight and it must be remembered that Murray didn't pull up any trees in his first Palace season but if you want to do the maths ?

There is no way that CMS was on £12K. Look at how much we spent on wages for everyone at the Amex. £624K a year on one player?
CMS said that West Ham & Leicester offered him more money but he chose Brighton.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
There is no way that CMS was on £12K. Look at how much we spent on wages for everyone at the Amex. £624K a year on one player?
CMS said that West Ham & Leicester offered him more money but he chose Brighton.
When Leeds were after cms it was rumoured it fell through due to his 30k per week wages. Seemed highly unlikely but so did prizing him away from the clutches of Leicester and West Ham, both of which would pay such wages.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Only issue i would have with Murray is he went to Palace. I understand the reasons to a point and i wish he had stayed. He never celebrates against us. But Palace....why?

Because they offered him the money.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I thought it was described as two budgets, one for signings and one for wages rather than a salary cap.

Seemed a really stupid idea and I put it down to poyet storey telling at the time. If true then Barber should be crucified for implementing or supporting such a crazy and pointless idea.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought it was described as two budgets, one for signings and one for wages rather than a salary cap.

Seemed a really stupid idea and I put it down to poyet storey telling at the time. If true then Barber should be crucified for implementing or supporting such a crazy and pointless idea.

It was Ken Brown as Barber wasn't here then. He didn't last much longer at the Amex. There was a salary cap within the wages budget.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I'm not sure that WHU and Leicester offering him more proves anything about what we were/are paying him? What was the total wage bill for our first season back at The Amex ? I'm sure it's somewhere on here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure that WHU and Leicester offering him more proves anything about what we were/are paying him? What was the total wage bill for our first season back at The Amex ? I'm sure it's somewhere on here.

I've already mentioned it. £21million which includes ALL staff and payouts to the 18 people made redundant some of whom had been at the club for decades.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here