Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Burtenshaw has died aged 86

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I hope they will too - he was a great servant of the club and respected through the football world.

Minutes applause tomorrow, very fitting, younger supporters might not know he was effectively the Lewis Dunk of his generation, Portslade born and bred.

I will post up the funeral arrangements as soon as I know them.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Same here. Can still remember all or at least nearly all the names of the first team regulars back then.

Me too. Maybe it's because I was 10 years old and my first season as a supporter, but it was as exciting for me as this current PL season...weird, I know! Scenes at the final game, 3-1 vs Darlington....or my memory is all over the place?! Was Bobby Smith with us then or a year later?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Minutes applause tomorrow, very fitting, younger supporters might not know he was effectively the Lewis Dunk of his generation, Portslade born and bred.
Well said. Before my time but very obviously one of our own and a proper Albion legend.

For Albion fans this should be a much more important minutes applause than many of them recently.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Me too. Maybe it's because I was 10 years old and my first season as a supporter, but it was as exciting for me as this current PL season...weird, I know! Scenes at the final game, 3-1 vs Darlington....or my memory is all over the place?! Was Bobby Smith with us then or a year later?

I think it was 1964 when he came to us. At one point, there were three Smiths in the first team including two Bobby Smiths!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Also a tribute to the Late Jeff Watts in the programme tomorrow, lifelong fan, and long time friend President Dick, who I know put his hand in his pocket, with others, when times were tough at Withdean and lent the club money.

Steve and Jeff, both people we should never forget when it comes to the Albion.

RIP

Steve was such an important part of the Albion team in the early nineteen-sixties, and a crucial part of the 1964-65 Fourth Division Championship winning side. His career was one of real distinction. I admired him, as I did so many of his wonderful team-mates: Powney, Bertolini, McGonigal, Collins, Gould, Gall, Jack Smith, and Bobby Smith. Nothing but the fondest memories.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
And Jack!
I thought the other Bobby Smith came rather later than his famous namesake.

Googled it this time, and you're right. I was right about the legendary Bobby Smith joining us in 1964 and well remember him and Jack playing in the same team but wrong about the other one playing in the same team as in fact he joined us in 1968. That was three years after the first one left us.

Last edited:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Yes, I remember that now! Jack Smith was also good, wasn't he - there were some strong characters in that promotion team:albion2:

He was, yeah. Wilf Trantor above mentions a few more. The two wingers Wally Gould on the right wing and Johnny Goodchild on the left were exciting and Dave Turner and the wiry Stewart Henderson behind them were both difficult to pass. Jimmy Collins was also a fine, Hortonesque captain.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He was, yeah. Wilf Trantor above mentions a few more. The two wingers Wally Gould on the right wing and Johnny Goodchild on the left were exciting and Dave Turner and the wiry Stewart Henderson behind them were both difficult to pass. Jimmy Collins was also a fine, Hortonesque captain.

I started watching in'67. Stewart Henderson was a very solid fullback. When we had him and Willie Bell we were difficult to get past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here