Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Bruce Criticises his Players

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I remember Alan Mullery criticising Graham Moseley back in the day, stating that he had cost us a few points that season with his mistakes. (We were in another relegation battle in the First Division at the time). A few of us wondered how such an outburst in the national papers, would instil confidence in our keeper.

Didn't Mark McGhee say Leon Knight was "Inept" on Harty's phone-in once? Seem to remember there were discussions as to actual word said.
Would have been more use if McGhee had acknowledged that Calamity Wayne Henderson was inept - and dropped him!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
bruce.jpg

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I can't believe Bruce actually plays Flabby Agbonlahore.

He strayed into Norwich's box last night, and the ref booked him for timewasting.

Agreed. I actually think they would have beaten us if they started with Ayew and/or Grealish. Both made a big impact off the bench while Agbonlahor did nothing for an hour.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Remember when Villa were a top premiership club ....a few years a go now; the way they are going they're going to be like Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday

When we played them in the cup, they had such a good team with players like Young, Delph, Sidwell, Downing and Milner. Since O'Neill left and Lerner lost interest they've been on a steady decline. I still think they'll make the play offs but it is going to require an exceptional run for them to make the top two.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed. I actually think they would have beaten us if they started with Ayew and/or Grealish. Both made a big impact off the bench while Agbonlahor did nothing for an hour.

Yup. Once Agbonlahore and Gary Gardner had been binned for Grealish and Ayew, it was like the Alamo. We barely got out of our penalty box, let alone our half.

Someone alluded on another thread about how teams seem cowed by facing us at the Amex, Huddersfield and Leeds being examples. Bruce showed us too much respect for an hour. Had he actually gone for it from the start with Ayew and Grealish instead of that fat useless washup Flabby, and the complete midfield nonentity that is Gardner, I think they'd have probably smashed us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yup. Once Agbonlahore and Gary Gardner had been binned for Grealish and Ayew, it was like the Alamo. We barely got out of our penalty box, let alone our half.

Someone alluded on another thread about how teams seem cowed by facing us at the Amex, Huddersfield and Leeds being examples. Bruce showed us too much respect for an hour. Had he actually gone for it from the start with Ayew and Grealish instead of that fat useless washup Flabby, and the complete midfield nonentity that is Gardner, I think they'd have probably smashed us.

If you look at the squad they have, they should be where we and Newcastle are at least. Their forward options are ridiculous (McCormack hardly seems to start). But there do seem to be a lot of egos there and Bruce may be beginning to find that out after the initial move up the table.

He won't last long though if he keeps putting his faith in Agbonlahor. And it's easy to forget that they needed a late goal to beat Wigan on Saturday too so they obviously weren't great then either!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you look at the squad they have, they should be where we and Newcastle are at least. Their forward options are ridiculous (McCormack hardly seems to start). But there do seem to be a lot of egos there and Bruce may be beginning to find that out after the initial move up the table.

He won't last long though if he keeps putting his faith in Agbonlahor. And it's easy to forget that they needed a late goal to beat Wigan on Saturday too so they obviously weren't great then either!

I'm baffled at Agbonlahore's inclusion, he played most of the game at Narch last night as well and predictably stunk the place out again.

I'm not surprised at where they are, and predicted no better than midtable at best when they were relegated. Its a squad packed to the rafters with kids from France, big egos and various wasters who greatly outnumber the sprinkling of talent they have with the likes of Ayew, Grealish and Gestede. Bruce has got a bit of a dead cat bounce out of them thus far, and he's far more likely to get a tune out of that dogs dinner of a squad than RDM was ever likely to. If Bruce is given the chequebook in January then they might have a chance of scraping playoffs, but no more than that. And that's more than I thought they'd get at the start of the season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What would Hughton have done in this situation? Probably tore into the players in the privacy of the dressing room, then faced the press and played it with a straight bat.

Before last night Bruce's first 9 matches in charge had yielded 18 points - that's promotion form. They looked excellent against us, and they're winning matches that they would previously have drawn. However, Bruce is an emotional manager and he will upset players - Jack Grealish's reaction last night telling Bruce to f*ck off after being subbed is typical of that. I think Bruce will get it right but he needs to ship a lot out before the squad starts to really believe. The window can't come soon enough for Villa.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Bruce is just making sure his chairman knows that he needs to be getting his cheque book ready.

Expect the Villa to be going large in January...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Remember when Villa were a top premiership club ....a few years a go now; the way they are going they're going to be like Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday

Except that as of 12/16 and unlike Villa, those two 'massive' clubs are 'possibly' beginning to look as though they have an inclination upwards !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you are the top dog you don't criticise everyone who works for whilst proclaiming you are the answer.

You can say 'we failed' but it's my responsibility.

If you want to build a team you kick people and build them up behind closed doors a bit like a certain chapionship manager. Never in public.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having watched the game last night Villa seem to have too many prima donnas ..and didn't match Norwich for effort ...arrogant bunch much as i found there fans who fail to realise that currently they are just a mid table Championship side
.....and now that Zola's arrived they're not even as flair as Birmingham City! :laugh:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
He's challenging his players. He's making it clear that just turning up being a passenger and taking your wages is unacceptable, least of all at a club with high expectations like Aston Villa.

And he's right. It's because Villa have been coasting like that for the last few years that they have ended up in the Championship. He's making sure the players know that if they don't roll their sleeves up and work, he will be bringing in players in the next couple of transfer windows who will.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With any luck Villa have had their "Dead Cat's Bounce" (apologies to Glasfryn) and will now settle back into mid-table inconsistency.
Who cares, Villa are done already. Yes we could drop down the table and finish below them, but in term of the race for top two, they're out of it now.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
TBH I think we should be supporting Villa for the rest of the season (obviously excluding the last game!). They are a side capable of taking points off our rivals and are out of the hunt for the automatic spots now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here