[Music] Steve Albini RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Sorry that I started a thread without adequate background - I was a bit shocked. It all unfolded though, as tends to happen.
Posting an Albini produced song that changed music, no exaggeration.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Listened to this on my walk home from a curry last night. It’s 20 minutes of total joy. Recorded live, like everything he did.

Barry Burns used to own an amazing old school bar in Berlin with his wife. Juke box was amazing and had mix CDs from his various muso mates in it. Sadly they sold up and the new owners though what we really needed was white walls, nice furniture and toilets which worked and were not covered in graffiti and stickers.

I miss this place.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Away camping and just got a signal. What terrible news. Produced the best albums for a lot of my favourite bands and Shellac were awesome.
“Kill him” …what a tune. I know that’s not the title of the song, but that’s what I always called it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He engineered/recorded Walking into Clarksdale by Page and Plant.
Otherwise his studio work was mainly indie, alternative, punk, including some big names, eg Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Breeders. He also rejected working for Depeche Mode.
Do share if he provided an explanation for the rejection

Somethingdean

May 18, 2019
Listening to Kerosene is like being stabbed repeatedly in the ears with a million serrated blades. I love it! This is devastating. Check out Shellac if you haven't and then basically every album he produced. He knows quality musicians when he hears them. R.I.P. Steve.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
“Kill him” …what a tune. I know that’s not the title of the song, but that’s what I always called it.
It's the song i play to people to get a feel of him/Shellac. Anthem of dark justice that shouldn't be warmly received, but the rejoicement of suggests a romantic smirk to a horror inside. It makes me want to crush and decry popular music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports