Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stereophonics and the Enemy

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
....at the Brighton centre tonight. Anyone else going?

Personally i'm looking forward to the support band more than the Phonics! :drink:

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Seen The Enemy three times already this year and they're great but I aint really a fan of Stereophonics and the Brighton Centre is a rubbish venue so yeah I'm giving it a miss!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Kelly Jones is one of the coolest dudes around and Dakota was the best pop song of 2005 , thats all I wish to add to the matter.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Got tickets to the same event at the CIA in a couple of weeks. Been looking forward to it for ages. Should be good in front of the Welsh crowd too.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dakota was superb, I have a few of their albums and they are consistant in having 3 or 4 good songs per album and the rest is utter shite but they do come along with a classic pop song every now and again ala Dakota.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Dakota was superb, I have a few of their albums and they are consistant in having 3 or 4 good songs per album and the rest is utter shite but they do come along with a classic pop song every now and again ala Dakota.

Yes, Dakota was good but that was a fluke. As one reviewer said, even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

Kelly is an A1 cock producing dull bloke rock which has no place in 2007.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Yes, Dakota was good but that was a fluke. As one reviewer said, even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

Kelly is an A1 cock producing dull bloke rock which has no place in 2007.

Disagree.

Yes, Kelly's best work was pre JEETP. In my opinion - Performance and Cocktails is their best album. However, the guy DOES have songwriting talent. It just so happens that his style was more fashionable with the post britpop feel of the late 90s. It's not really a big player in the skinny-jean fake Indie world that dominates the music market at the moment. Kelly tries to adapt to the current trend, but sadly fails as his talent is more suited to the 90s stuff.

At the time that Dakota was released, many critics agreed that it was a successful fluke, purely because it was reminiscent of older 'phonics work that they suited. If he continued to write in this style, the work would be good, but it probably wouldn't sell.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can see how scoring from 20 yards with your arse might be considered a fluke, but how can writing and recording a popsong?

"Yep, Kelly, you were really lucky with that second verse and THAT BRIDGE! You jammy sod."

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Disagree.

Yes, Kelly's best work was pre JEETP. In my opinion - Performance and Cocktails is their best album. However, the guy DOES have songwriting talent. It just so happens that his style was more fashionable with the post britpop feel of the late 90s. It's not really a big player in the skinny-jean fake Indie world that dominates the music market at the moment. Kelly tries to adapt to the current trend, but sadly fails as his talent is more suited to the 90s stuff.

At the time that Dakota was released, many critics agreed that it was a successful fluke, purely because it was reminiscent of older 'phonics work that they suited. If he continued to write in this style, the work would be good, but it probably wouldn't sell.

That is BRILLIANTLY summed up! :)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Disagree.

So you think their best work was eight or nine years ago, and you admit their style (ha) of music isn't in fashion.

See, Kelly Jones, even your fans don't like you anymore!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Like many good bands - Oasis, Stone Roses - I believe the 'Phonics best album was their first but, importantly, an average Phoncs album by their standards is still miles better than most of the modern indie dross around now.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Like many good bands - Oasis, Stone Roses - I believe the 'Phonics best album was their first but, importantly, an average Phoncs album by their standards is still miles better than most of the modern indie dross around now.

You get your whole life to write your first album, whereas you're expected to better it in the 18 months or so between records. In the meantime, those 18 months are spent touring where its not always conducive to produce decent songs. I'm going tonight but only cos its free, and i'm interested to see the Enemy. Anyway for what its worth, I think the first album is their best - and of the better songs Kelly Jones has written, they've almost all been written on an electric guitar

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
So you think their best work was eight or nine years ago, and you admit their style (ha) of music isn't in fashion.

See, Kelly Jones, even your fans don't like you anymore!!

To be honest; I'm going to the gig to hopefully hear some of their older stuff which was (and still is) good music.

Kelly Jones was an icon to me whilst I was growing up. He still is looking very good for his age and I have a soft spot for him. There's something sexy, yet comforting about him that makes me melt inside. He's absolutely gorgeous.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shh love, the lads are talking about music, not his aura...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To be honest; I'm going to the gig to hopefully hear some of their older stuff which was (and still is) good music.

Kelly Jones was an icon to me whilst I was growing up. He still is looking very good for his age and I have a soft spot for him. There's something sexy, yet comforting about him that makes me melt inside. He's absolutely gorgeous.

If I turned Kelly would be near the top of my wish list

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007

Speaking of Oasis.
Anyone think that Oasis, The Hindu Times sounds just a tad similar to Same Size Feet by the Stereophonics?

So if even the Gallaghers are willing to pinch riffs off the 'phonics, then I think that is a testament to Kelly's writing ability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here