Stephens

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Comparisons have been drawn to Baldock's injury last season.
#lesspositivespin

In what way? Baldock did his knee and had to be helped off the pitch. Stephens has a thigh strain which didn't even prevent him from completing the 90 mins.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think he would go for O'Hara......................... Is it definite that it is long term injury. I heard Monday morning it wasn't that bad. When did diagnosis get worse ?
Well I wasn't being serious, it's just that it is often repeated on NSC that we should sign O'Hara, and Jed Wallace.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
If no Stephens andBong can personally see a change of shape for next 2 away games. Rosenier to LB and as I don t think CH will play 2 out and out wingers away at reading and Wednesday I think he will go
4-3-3

DS
Bruno
Greer
Use
LR

Crofts
Ince
Kayal

Murphy
Hamed
Baldock

Testing times for the squad.
The starting 11 has looked pretty decent so far but now we shall see how good the squad depth is.

I think you might see Holla rather than Once in that line up?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Stephens is not fit I dont mind who we go with as long as its not Crofts.

Ince or JFC have to be ahead of him, what is the point of them being at our club otherwise.

They are already as good as Crofts if not better and will only improve the more games they get.

We have to look forward with our younger players, if Crofts was significantly better I would go with him, but he simply isnt.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not confident JFC can play in a 4-4-2. Do we change our system to accommodate him. Holla & JFC provide the creativity that Ince & Crofts just don't have but both of them need to be in a three man midfield rather than a two I believe.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I think the harsh reality is, we have not got a player who can slot in for Stephens/Kayal without seriously weakening us. Ince/Crofts showed on Saturday that they are just not up to it. It was like watching us last season. I would like to see some movement in this area in January. I know Sam Morsy from Chesterfield was looked at. Could we go back for him?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I would not write off Crofts. It was not long ago that he offered our main goal threat from midfield. It remains to be seen how badly his two injuries have affected his game.

As for JFC, I cannot fathom how or why the dynamic attack-minded midfielder that once he was has been turned into a sideways-passing plodder. Surely, the instinct to attack is still in him. However, if the change in his game is terminal then he can still do a job holding the midfield from a deeper position. Perhaps he and Kayal could interchange, alternately attacking and dropping deep.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I would not write off Crofts. It was not long ago that he offered our main goal threat from midfield. It remains to be seen how badly his two injuries have affected his game.

As for JFC, I cannot fathom how or why the dynamic attack-minded midfielder that once he was has been turned into a sideways-passing plodder. Surely, the instinct to attack is still in him. However, if the change in his game is terminal then he can still do a job holding the midfield from a deeper position. Perhaps he and Kayal could interchange, alternately attacking and dropping deep.

Judging by the pass to LuaLua leading to the penalty at Fulham, I'd suggest it's not terminal.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We clearly are not letting on about injuries and duration this season - keep Reading guessing on what sort of team may turn up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We clearly are not letting on about injuries and duration this season - keep Reading guessing on what sort of team may turn up.

This does seem to be the case and you are right about keeping the opposition guessing but it's very frustrating for fans who want to know. I suppose results are what matter though and if secrecy helps......

No. 25

Aug 25, 2012
I think the harsh reality is, we have not got a player who can slot in for Stephens/Kayal without seriously weakening us. Ince/Crofts showed on Saturday that they are just not up to it. It was like watching us last season. I would like to see some movement in this area in January. I know Sam Morsy from Chesterfield was looked at. Could we go back for him?

I think a Crofts playing alongside Kayal will be a very different player to a Crofts playing alongside Ince.

...and when I say different, I mean better. Much better.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I think a Crofts playing alongside Kayal will be a very different player to a Crofts playing alongside Ince.

...and when I say different, I mean better. Much better.

I hope you are right but his passing was woeful on Saturday. He has just came back from a long lay off so i suppose we can expect some rust.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

It would be a damning indictment if we had to get a midfielder in on loan when we have JFC, Ince, Holla and Crofts!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would be a damning indictment if we had to get a midfielder in on loan when we have JFC, Ince, Holla and Crofts!!!

Yes, you are right, but...

Crofts is in the last year of his contract and may not be given another one.

Ince, and JFC are still young and ( hopefully ) will get better.

So the only indictment would really be on Holla, who being 6th choice is halfway out of the door anyway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Why ?

Don't you want to see your team have perhaps better players in their line up than all of them are ?

I certainly would. I think what durrington gull is getting at is more the, ahem, "quality" in that position that CH inherited. Of those named JFC is getting some much needed game time at the DINS in a position that suits him better than the deep one Sami played him in, Crofts is really an off the bench option since his two injuries. Ince is best at sitting in at CDM and Holla just isn't anywhere near good enough. If we're going to go up then upgrades on as many as possible of these will be needed as Preston showed on Saturday,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports