Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think he's been superb.

The way Wayne Bridge struggled to stay fit at the back end of last season, I'd say overall we have the better left back now.

No doubt in his day Wayne Bridge was the better player, but in 2013, I'd have Ward in my squad over Bridge.

I think you might be right. Yes on his day Bridgey was a fantastic left-back, but l've a feeling that Ward might prove to be more consistent, fitter, and of course better value for money (salary wise). Only time will tell.

Dec 29, 2011
When his loan runs out, he'll have one year left one his contract. Hopefully we'll be the frontrunners to sign him if he likes it down here.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have we got Ward on a loan with an option to buy.

Season long I believe as his wages are massive so unless he wants a pay cut next season I doubt he would sign.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am not disputing this but do we REALLY know what his wages are and how much we are paying towards them

No we don't but I would expect at the very most £10K a week.

Wolves have some massive earners on their books which is totally unsustainable in League 1. On the plus side a mate of mine is a Wolves STH and he advised 13 new grounds to visit this season !

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's no coincidence we have not lost a game since Ward took up the left back spot. Experience performer at this level. If there is one loose link across the back line, it shows across the whole defence. This was evident in the first couple of games. Since Ward has turned up everyone seems to know what they are doing.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
It's no coincidence we have not lost a game since Ward took up the left back spot. Experience performer at this level. If there is one loose link across the back line, it shows across the whole defence. This was evident in the first couple of games. Since Ward has turned up everyone seems to know what they are doing.

I agree, I felt with Chicksen, Inigo or Maksi at left back, Upson felt he had to cover more. Which caused issues for everyone. Now it seems everyone has confidence in each other.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Prefer Bridge, however Ward is an excellent alternative and is also likely to play more games than Bridge.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
We were spoilt having Bridge last season but there is no doubt that Ward is getting better with each game he plays for us. The first few games he didn't seem to get forward too much but as he settles in he is obviously getting more comfortable and confident and that side of his game is improving. Yesterday, in the lead up to the free kick from which we equalised, Ward looked second favourite to Spearing to get to the ball first but was deceptively quick in that instance.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Getting better with every game,and will turn out to be a important signing for us.Solid defender and can play a bit aswell.Surely if Ipswich didnt have Cresswell,Mccarthy would have snapped him up!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bridge hasn't been missed all that much because Ward is a decent LB.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ward's no Wayne Bridge (who would have had far more England caps were it not for a certain Ashley Cole) but he's a pretty good replacement at this level. Shame we couldn't have kept Bridge, but the club has done a pretty good job in getting Ward in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here