Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward on verge of permanent deal??!!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Andrews signing for Wolverhampton according to the Sun.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We have offered a contract according to Express & Star. Middlesboro also offered a contract.

Interesting that we paid his £12k weekly wage in full last season.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...stephen-ward-is-edging-closer-to-wolves-exit/

Stephen Ward is edging closer to Wolves exit
Stephen Ward's exit from Wolves today moved a step closer after it emerged he has contract offers from Brighton and Middlesbrough.

The Seagulls and Boro are the first clubs to make contact to indicate they are prepared to sign the 28-year-old left-back on a permanent basis.

But Premier League duo Burnley and Sunderland also have him on their radar and are waiting in the wings if a move to the south coast or Teesside falls through.

The next step is a meeting between Ward’s representative and Wolves which is expected to come shortly to thrash out the Ireland international’s ‘exit strategy’.

But the indications are all parties want a quick resolution.

Ward has a year left on his £12,000-a-week contract which Brighton paid all of last season as he made 44 Championship appearances, scoring four goals and helping them to the play-off semi-finals, where they were beaten by Derby 6-2 on aggregate.

His consistency and success at the Amex Stadium means there may be some negotiating to be done over the fee.

Either way, Brighton would appear to be in the driving seat, although Ward may want reassuring over his place after manager Oscar Garcia walked out at the end of the season.

Boro currently have former Wolves man George Friend at left-back, but they have no cover for the one-time Exeter defender, who has a year left on his contract.

Ward has made 239 appearances for Wolves since his bargain signing for £100,000 in January 2007.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Unless Boro are keen to waste a lot of money I can't see why they'd sign Ward on big money when Friend is one of their best players

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Unless Boro are keen to waste a lot of money I can't see why they'd sign Ward on big money when Friend is one of their best players

Agreed. Friend is decent and I can't believe they would use him or Ward as a backup. Only scenario I can think of is that Friend is off elsewhere.

PG

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Losing our manager can't be helping the negotiations. On one hand we have players who have been playing here and may have been happy to sign for Oscar not having a clue what is happening and players who may want to sign for us not having a clue who will manage them. It's a bit of a feck up really isn't it, however you dress it up?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Losing our manager can't be helping the negotiations. On one hand we have players who have been playing here and may have been happy to sign for Oscar not having a clue what is happening and players who may want to sign for us not having a clue who will manage them. It's a bit of a feck up really isn't it, however you dress it up?

But he knows more about us, and the ethos of our club, than he does about Boro, Burnley, or Sunderland. It was only just before they all went on holiday that he was saying how much he wanted to stay, so I feel quite hopeful he will

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But he knows more about us, and the ethos of our club, than he does about Boro, Burnley, or Sunderland. It was only just before they all went on holiday that he was saying how much he wanted to stay, so I feel quite hopeful he will

Yeah I was quite confident but I'm not anymore :down:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
He's a very good player at our level, but I'm not sure he could cut it in the prem still, also the interest from the mackems and Burnley is very speculative on the part of the papers. As someone said in a previous post, Boro have Friend, who is as good if not better, and arent we a better bet for a successful season than them? I had no confidence last season that Bridge would stay, but I feel that Ward will.

And if not , I'll get my Mum, who is a witch, to put an injury spell on him, like she did Bridge

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Tbf George Friend was one of the opposition players that impressed me most at the Amex last season. Would like to see us move for him if Boro beat us to Ward.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Wouldn't it be great, just as an oasis of certainty in a desert of rumour, speculation and press b0ll0cks, to just have one, solid, clear, definite, without a doubt, nailed-on, absolute confirmation of something, anything, by anyone, at any time in the next week or so?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wouldn't it be great, just as an oasis of certainty in a desert of rumour, speculation and press b0ll0cks, to just have one, solid, clear, definite, without a doubt, nailed-on, absolute confirmation of something, anything, by anyone, at any time in the next week or so?

Toko?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I just went for a poo.

That's official. No rumours at all. Just smells..lots of unpleasant smells.

Jan 10, 2014
I think that you can rule Burnley out (if we were even in) as our second choice left back has signed a new 3 year deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here