Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - Albion unwilling to match salary

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
As solid as Ward was, I think we need someone with more attacking intent.
We were far more potent the previous year when Bridge was marauding down the left wing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We were far more potent the previous year when Bridge was marauding down the left wing.

I think it is foolish to compare any full back we get with Bridge. That was an exceptional loan and we will not sign anyone of his calibre except on loan. Perhaps you should ask yourself how Ward compares to previous left backs such as Painter or Joe Mattock!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I think it is foolish to compare any full back we get with Bridge. That was an exceptional loan and we will not sign anyone of his calibre except on loan. Perhaps you should ask yourself how Ward compares to previous left backs such as Painter or Joe Mattock!

Or Kerry Mayo

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I guess that's it. Are we paying slightly over the odds because we know the player and his ability? The thing is, he is a sure thing in our team. We know he's a good player, we know he fits (loosely) into the type of system we play, we know he has a good rapport with the players and staff. Is that worth 10% over the odds? Possibly...

We don't really know what a comparable plyer would cost. I'd be delighted if he came back though.

Fair point. Conversely however, Ward knows he would be happy back here etc etc. Maybe he should compromise on that basis?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Ward scored more goals for us, and claimed more asissts than Bridge did. (Ward 4 goals 4 assists, Bridge 3 goals 1 assist)

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
If this deal is to work it maybe the clubs are expecting the player to contribute on his wage expectations.
I am sure the clubs can each give and take on fee but if the player thinks he can continue to pick up his current premiership wage without any reduction then let him stay there.
I certainly would not pay him anywhere near the £10,000 we contributed last year even if it was another season loan.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It's amazing how difficult we have found it to find and secure a steady left back. Painter, Mattock, Reyes, Bridge, Maksimenko, Ward, Chicksen, Calderon.....anymore for anymore?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ward scored more goals for us, and claimed more asissts than Bridge did. (Ward 4 goals 4 assists, Bridge 3 goals 1 assist)

The Wayne Bridge assist was a brilliancy though!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Dharmesheth Sheth

Andy Burton and Dharmesheth Sheth from SSN both reporting Aaron Cresswell having a medical with West H'aaaaa'm as we speak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here