Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - Albion unwilling to match salary

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If we don't sign him, then it will be because someone else has offered him more. Whether they're in the PL or not isn't really relevant. We have a wage limit that some other clubs don't have.

Choice of words here. ie. disappointed. I would be disappointed in Stephen Ward if he signs for another Championship side. I can't really blame him for taking up a good offer from the Premier League side. That's why I put the bit in about promotion bonuses. I nearly included Championship sides with parachute payments, which is quite a lot of them. I would be disappointed then.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The worry for Wolves is that there are no other takers for Ward. Chicksen could impress Hyypia, he could wash his hands of Ward and Wolves are then exposed to £676,000 cost for a player their manager has said he doesn't want. If they are looking for a fee for the player when he only has one year on his contract but at a wage they can't afford then they are taking the piss.

Ward is about to go into the final year of his contract so will want a new deal shortly anyway. Wolves will not give him another deal, if 2014/15 turns out to be a one-year loan he could get injured, then risks having no deal in a year's time. He won't want that.

We should persuade Wolves to let him go for free and offer him a 2-year £10K a week deal with an option for a third year. He'd then have the security and certainty of £1,040,000 salary plus the chance of more here in Year 3.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The worry for Wolves is that there are no other takers for Ward. Chicksen could impress Hyypia, he could wash his hands of Ward and Wolves are then exposed to £676,000 cost for a player their manager has said he doesn't want. If they are looking for a fee for the player when he only has one year on his contract but at a wage they can't afford then they are taking the piss.

Ward is about to go into the final year of his contract so will want a new deal shortly anyway. Wolves will not give him another deal, if 2014/15 turns out to be a one-year loan he could get injured, then risks having no deal in a year's time. He won't want that.

We should persuade Wolves to let him go for free and offer him a 2-year £10K a week deal with an option for a third year. He'd then have the security and certainty of £1,040,000 salary plus the chance of more here in Year 3.

Regular first team football at the Albion.

SweBHAFC

Nov 16, 2009

This

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It makes sense to most but I suspect that that fact he hasn't asked for a transfer will mean his agent will expect Wolves to pay the last year of his contract. That's a nice wedge for Ward and, say 10% for the agent!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Choice of words here. ie. disappointed.
I agree with 'disappointed'. I'll be disappointed if he's not here. But I wouldn't say it's a 'failure' on our part.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Ward is solid but not class. He nicely compliments Bruno who can be very skillful going forward but erratic defensively. I do not think there are going to be many takers at £13k a week over 2/3 years plus a fee for the selling club and agent's fee (whatever that may be) for a full back aged 28 who is not going to improve.

It is true he had a good first year with us but so did Lopez and look what happened there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Chicksen is ready I'll eat my own head.
I don't think he's week in week out first choice ready, why should he be?

But I wouldn't like to see his path to the first team blocked by any old player with a 3 year contract and a massive financial commitment.

The optimum deal for Chicksen is another year of Ward on loan, sadly the least likely prospect.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Couldn't we have naming rights for players? Stephen American Express ward has quite a ring to it.

And while we're at it, how about Kazenga Nando's Lua-Lua

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Shirley,we signed Upson,PIG,and Ward,short term whilst waiting for Walton,Chicksen and Masikimeko (spelling ) . I also believe Dickenson is still with us .

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
With reportedly on here 2k plus less season tickets sold the club will need to tighten the purse strings somewhere and releasing the big earners was a start so hardly think they will replace them with another earning around the same amount. A potential fee being required is also a game stopper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here