Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - Albion unwilling to match salary

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'd check through just how important the goals he scored were, I think you might be surprised

I'm aware he scored some important goals, he also set up a few. He was one of my favourite players last season

However, the long and short of it is he wants 30% more than we are prepared to pay. If other players see us roll over on this any "wage structure" is fecked.

Situations like this are the reality of where we are at without parachute payments in this league. We can start accusing the club of being tight when we are turning a profit. As of yet, we aren't even close to that, Tony's still susidising a large portion of our ticket!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd sign him and if Chicksen's good enough play Ward as a winger, he's a better crosser than any of our wingers.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'd sign him and if Chicksen's good enough play Ward as a winger, he's a better crosser than any of our wingers.

I don't think this post is as ridiculous as it first sounds.

Ward was signed as a striker by Wolves, before being moved to left wing and then left back. That explains why is eye for goal is very good (his attempts to goals scored ratio is probably better than several Championship strikers).

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Funny, I think he is quality but seem to have it in my head that his crosses were usually actually pretty poor, and ended a lot of great breaks down the left!

Dec 29, 2011
People keep talking about his wage "demands", but if he's already on £13k, they're not really "demands" are they? He's already guaranteed to be paid that for the next year, so he's hardly going to take a lower wage than that... Or am I missing something?

Well it is a demand isn't it.. he's not going to move unless he's paid £13k/week, hence he's demanding £13k/week to move.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Well it is a demand isn't it.. he's not going to move unless he's paid £13k/week, hence he's demanding £13k/week to move.

He will be paid £13k next Season whatever happens!

He played for us last Season, we paid him £10k, Wolves paid him the other £3k.

It's up to Wolves, not the player.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Our playing budget in 2012/13 for which the last accounts were published was £22m. This, says @elpresidente puts as "about 8th-10th in the wage table of the Championship'
http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/200-million-reasons-to-love-tony-bloom.html

It was 7m in last season at Withdean and 14m in that first year at Amex. All the indications are that its risen for 2013/14 and will still be competitive for 14/15.
We have, even without parachute payments, highly competitive playing budgets thanks to Tony Bloom of course and to a certain extent 21K season ticket holders who buy a lot of pies.

Yes indeed. But if the average wage in the Champs is 6k, I do not believe for one second that we have 20 players all earning 13.5k a week, which is the point to which I was replying. So we are slightly above average budget wise which is competitive, so I deduce from this that our wage per player would not be twice the average.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He will be paid £13k next Season whatever happens!

He played for us last Season, we paid him £10k, Wolves paid him the other £3k.

It's up to Wolves, not the player.

Not necessarily , Wolves may want to offload him to reduce the wages bill. Another club might come along and offer £10k a week on a 3 year deal if there is no transfer fee involved.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
£3k per week
£150k per year
£300k on a 2 year contract (£350k if you include overheads)
£450k (£520k with o/h's) over a three year deal).

On top of the half million plus per annum that people seem to think acceptable.

Give or take that is a £2m committment for ONE player from a squad of around 24

.......at Championship level.

Football is insane!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

A very interesting prospect, I'd like to see this though I can't imagine Kaz will be too happy!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Jesus there is some shite written on here!

Firstly, ignore anyone ignorant to claim that a footballer isn't worth £13k a week just because Joe Bloggs down the street doesn't earn in a year what Ward would earn in two weeks. That argument would suggest we should employ a host of Joe Bloggs from down the road to play in the team. Cheaper option but would it help fill the Amex?

Secondly, Ward is already earning £13k a week and has a year of that contract left. He is not going to go for less if he can help it. Wolves may well agree to let him go free but wouldn't do so if they had to pay off his contract.

And there is the rub. Ward would like to maximise his earnings, Wolves would like to minimise their losses and Brighton want to control their costs. It's called negotiation and I suspect that there may well be a resolution somewhere in the middle ground between the three parties.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Do I want to sign him? YES.
Should we pay him £13k a week? No concern of mine so not worth me discussing it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our playing budget in 2012/13 for which the last accounts were published was £22m. This, says @elpresidente puts as "about 8th-10th in the wage table of the Championship'
http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/200-million-reasons-to-love-tony-bloom.html

It was 7m in last season at Withdean and 14m in that first year at Amex. All the indications are that its risen for 2013/14 and will still be competitive for 14/15.
We have, even without parachute payments, highly competitive playing budgets thanks to Tony Bloom of course and to a certain extent 21K season ticket holders who buy a lot of pies.

Weren't total club payroll costs including employers national insurance c.£15m for 2012/13? And that would include paid directors, stewards, catering staff, retail, admin, football management and ground-staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here