Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - Albion unwilling to match salary

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That's my point, I really don't think it would at all. You'd be surprised what some of them are on.

Suprise me then, what do you think our top players are on?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
13k a week, remember that is before tax. It's still over 30k a month, that's more than some people earn in two years. Here is the reality of wages. Much as I like the player I think the club are right.
The sooner clubs put the foot down on wages outside the Premier League, the sooner wages will become more realistic.

Without a doubt that is needed. Unfortunately, parachute payments plus the 'prize money' the relegated PL teams have 'won' has guaranteed that football clubs outside of that financial loop will always lose players because of wages. Factor in the likes of Forest, Leeds, and others willing to gamble everything on getting promoted the 'putting the foot down' option will only be applied by the liikes of The Albion.

We all want our clubs to be playing at the highest level but I'm not sure I like the PL business model which makes it extremely difficult/impossible for the majority of the 72 League clubs to reach their goal of top flight football. Apart from those relegated clubs with shit loads of cash that is.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Chicksen is 23 in September. He has had his 12 month settling in period at the club and should now be 1st choice.
We have Masimenko who is also 23 and should be our cover for left back/centre back.
These players are past the development squad stage and should be utilised or sold/let go to free up wages for not.

These two featured in the two most disastrous games of the season both against Derby. I have not got my season ticket yet. It all depends. I am not watching those two failures again: it was miserable.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
did'nt we have a similar conversation on here about Murray
and look what happened there
he was one of the best left backs in the division
he also scores goals
he knows the club
FFS sort it out

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is exactly the reason why we nearly lost our club first time around, money. I'm glad the club is not going to be pushed over, and I do beleive the way we are running the club will eventually benefit us in the long run because we need to become financially secure.

That message is lost on many Albion fans. Even if they aren't aware of why we ended up as the paupers of football for 14 years they only need look at Portsmouth's recent demise because of paying stupid money to mediocre players that exceeded their income by Millions per season.

I'd like Ward here but not for 13K a week. Even 6K a week is crazy money for a second tier club to be paying players.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'd tell Chicken it is time for him to step up to the plate. A player with immense potential and now should be his time, I fear for him if we bring in Ward and he will just get fed-up of being shunned by us and move on.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
did'nt we have a similar conversation on here about Murray
and look what happened there
he was one of the best left backs in the division
he also scores goals
he knows the club
FFS sort it out

He is NOT worth £676,000 a year.

staben94

Jun 11, 2012
Greenwich/Hastings
Not going to lie, if it came down to it, yeah I think Ward at 13k per week is a bit much, but considering the performances home and away that he put in week in week out, he was one, if not the best player in a Brighton shirt on the field. 110% committed to winning a football match and trying his hardest. If we missed out on Ward, then we've missed a huge treat. I'd still pay the 13k, but I'd be happier if Ward was offered say 9k at the start and providing where we are come January, put a clause in his contract that puts him on 13k. I wouldn't mind that, I just want him back next season.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He is NOT worth £676,000 a year.

then stop going after him and tell Chicksen its his time
lets hope he is ready to step up to the plate though

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
This is exactly what the government was talking about when they say we need to pay a living wage! How can a man be expected to survive with a family on around £400,000 a year after tax? Very rough estimate mind.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Suprise me then, what do you think our top players are on?

I'm not getting into "sources" etc, but I do know what a couple of our players are on, and they had considerably less game time than Ward last season, and were paid considerably more than he is asking for.

All I'm saying is that the numbers we are shocked at, are not exceptional in the insane World football lives in. That is why the game is some completely fvkkdd financially.

If we don't pay Ward that, someone will .... Wolves for a start as that is his contracted earnings for the next 12 months.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
13K a week is £676K a year. This in turn equates to 1500 X £450 season tickets.

You can see the clubs issues but then someone with parachute payments or a PL club will pay it. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

The cost to the Albion would be greater than that. NI and Pension contributions would need to be added as well as any other benefits

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is the key point. He's only on £13k for another year. We should play hard ball and offer him something like £10k on a three year contract. If some other club step in with something higher and he'd prefer to go there, then so be it. If we do sign him on a three-year deal, then we're effectively waving goodbye to Chicksen who impressed with his first team performances last season. Calde can play at left back too.

If Wolves do not charge a fee for his transfer, then we have more money for a signing on fee for the player. So for example a 3 year deal at 8k a week with a review should we be promoted, plus a 250k signing on fee, could be very attractive when compared to a one year deal at 13k. This helps us to maintain our wage structure, offers the player a decent deal, but the only benefit to Wolves, is they get the player off their wage bill early. You can't blame them for not jumping at this deal, when there is the chance, that someone will be prepared to pay them a transfer fee.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm not getting into "sources" etc, but I do know what a couple of our players are on, and they had considerably less game time than Ward last season, and were paid considerably more than he is asking for.

All I'm saying is that the numbers we are shocked at, are not exceptional in the insane World football lives in. That is why the game is some completely fvkkdd financially.

If we don't pay Ward that, someone will .... Wolves for a start as that is his contracted earnings for the next 12 months.

I imagine this is Orlandi and Kemy both who are in the process of being sacked off.

Lua Lua and Buckley as well who have been in and out with injury so not a comment on their quality.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Give Chicksen a go, 13k is too much.

AAAAArrgh !!!!

Stephen Ward was quite clearly the "Player of the Season" from me last season. He even showed he is a better striker than some others on our books.

Premier youngsters may be on £10K a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here