Stephen Dobbie - signed on 3 year deal from Swansea (merged)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

spacey

Jan 9, 2007
West Sussex
swans fan here based in Sussex, glad to see stephen dobbie sign for brighton along with orlandi, both should do well at the club and push it nearer to the premiership

dobbie has been involved in the past three play off finals, with blackpool this year, swans last year and blackpool the year before.

a goalscorer but not in the sense of a poacher around the box, he just passes the ball into the net.

shame he could not play regular in the premier league for the swans, but i hope he does well for brighton.

ps when orlandi is fit, he is beckham like the way he runs, crosses and scores. both good signings for brighton or any championship club.

good luck to both of them and brighton for the rest of the season, i would bet on you making play off final now

Forkbeard

Aug 30, 2012
What's he like as a player then? Quick? Strong? Skillful?

Pros

Definitely skilful. Good touch, excellent vision and awareness and a knack for scoring important goals. Easily capable of 10/15 a season from the advanced midfield position that suits him best. Will chip in with a goodly supply of assists too.

Cons
Expect him to get caught in possession a lot. He's not quite quick enough on the ball against the very best defenders you'll come up against, and it's probably the main reason why he lost his place in our plans.

Pros

Definitely skilful. Good touch, excellent vision and awareness and a knack for scoring important goals. Easily capable of 10/15 a season from the advanced midfield position that suits him best. Will chip in with a goodly supply of assists too.

Cons
Expect him to get caught in possession a lot. He's not quite quick enough on the ball against the very best defenders you'll come up against, and it's probably the main reason why he lost his place in our plans.

He didn't have much game-time in the Premier League, after a tentative start he didn't really feature in Brendan Rodgers plans. Now, after Laudrup has come in he has found it even more difficult to force his way in due to the arrival of Michu - hence his departure.

I know he'll be a cult hero in Sussex and I honestly believe his goals will take Brighton to at least a play-off place. Championship defenders can't handle him

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Great signing for The Albion. Seriously overjoyed at this - his goals and flair play will have Brighton fans on the edge of their padded seats

That's good enough for me. Great to see you posting again, especially now we're Swansea B team.

Forkbeard

Aug 30, 2012
He didn't have much game-time in the Premier League, after a tentative start he didn't really feature in Brendan Rodgers plans. Now, after Laudrup has come in he has found it enev more difficult to force his way in due to the arrival of Michu - hence his departure.

I know he'll be a cult hero in Sussex and I honestly believe his goals will take Brighton to at least a play-off place. Championship defenders can't handle him

Championship defenders can't handle him it's true. Problem is Premier League ones could. He didn't have much game time because it was obvious from the off that it was all too quick for him. He's at a good club now though. He should do well.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Great signing for The Albion. Seriously overjoyed at this - his goals and flair play will have Brighton fans on the edge of their padded seats

Did you think our new stadium would be filled with your ex-players when you were working on it? Have you been telling everyone in Swansea how great it is? lol

Did you think our new stadium would be filled with your ex-players when you were working on it? Have you been telling everyone in Swansea how great it is? lol

Can't take any credit for our new found allegiance I'm afraid, although I think it's great. Swansea and Brighton play a very similar game, so it makes sense to use players known to thrive in the continental system. Just keep your hands off Leon Britton, he's not for sale at any price!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Finally someone who understands what an amazing signing this is, thanks.

SwanseaCityNo10

Aug 31, 2012
Swansea, Wales.
Swans fan here, good luck to Dobbie & Brighton next season.

Fantastic player in the Championship, creative, can take a man on & gets goals.

He was the catalyst for our promotion when Rodgers started playing him every game the season before last in the final third of that season.

Good luck. :clap2:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

He was the catalyst for our promotion when Rodgers started playing him every game the season before last in the final third of that season.

Looks like a white Leon Knight (forget the issues). Just the type of player we had hoped CMS could be!

I see our next cult hero - someone with the passion to replace Nooney.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
He looks a class act tbh, very composed in front of goal, good from range and excellent control on the ball. Cool

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Magnificent post, you are the absolute MAN. :bowdown:

Thanks for dispensing with him, but from the look of that video, he looks better than Danny Graham! Why was he surplus to requirements at Swansea? Just out of intertest, I think he looks exactly what we need.

SwanseaCityNo10

Aug 31, 2012
Swansea, Wales.
Magnificent post, you are the absolute MAN. :bowdown:

Thanks for dispensing with him, but from the look of that video, he looks better than Danny Graham! Why was he surplus to requirements at Swansea? Just out of intertest, I think he looks exactly what we need.

He's not a striker, he's been playing in an attacking midfield role in a 4-2-3-1 formation at the Swans & Blackpool. Last year we had Gylfi Sigurdsson in that position now we've got Michu.

People say that he needs too much time on the ball to make it in the Premiership but IMO he was never given a real chance, top Championship player nonetheless.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Incidentally, his name is pronounced Doh-bie, as if there was just one 'b' in it. But as we still sing Poyet wrong, no hope on that!

Scott_C

Aug 31, 2012
Just registered here last night to post a couple of vids for you. But I see I've been beaten to it.
Anyway good luck for the season and if he can fit in like at Blackpool then you have someone who will score a good few goals, but more importantly link to set up a lot more.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Thank you. He should do well for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports