Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Step forward Andy Burnham, British prime minister in May 2020

pot-kettle-black.jpg

You really are a clown. But yes, it's getting boring so let's draw a line under this.

I hope you feel better now :)

They are on the scrapheap although the extent to which that is down to their personal failings versus the extent to which that was down to sheer unadulterated Scottish Nationalism is a matter for debate.

In fact, I think I'm being too kind there. How the hell can anyone think that a 20 year-old university student can represent their constituents better than an experienced, well-respected politician like Douglas Alexander? The girl speaks sense but has virtually no life experience to draw on and no political experience. I'm not being ageist here - late 20s / 30-odd then yes it's possible, but not 20. There's a reason it hasn't happened since 1667, and I think even that was down to The Great Fire of London the previous year.

Well it's the Blairites who always say listen to the voters, right? I guess Jim and Dougie got a bit "out of touch". Maybe they should be more "positive." Perhaps more "aspirational".

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I agree with [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] here

Irrespective of policies, the leader has to be electable by swathes of the population. That can be derived from having a calm safe approach such as John Smith, or a charismatic hope message such as Tony Blair

You can't always rely on being up against a poor leader

The underlying policies need to be knitted together in such a way as being able to be clearly understood as a strategy. Not a series of knee jerks

Background in itself isn't a barrier - let's face it, ukip took many votes off labour and the public school educated, southern ex banker is hardly representative of the northern coalfields or milltowns. What he was however was charismatic and responded to a feeling that people didn't think was being addressed by anybody else

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Personally I think they need a leader without the baggage of being a strong part of the Blair/Brown Government. Going for Burnham feels too much like the Tories going for IDS after Hague had failed. I think it's more than that though. They need as a party to convince the country that they are ready for Government. They had 5 years and came up with diddly squat. Take the next 3 years to think properly about what needs to change, come up with policy, test it then test it some more and then announce it and stand by it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The perfect man to make mincemeat of the Cameron/Buffoon Boris reign of incompetence and elitist spite over the next five years.

The NHS will be the No1 issue for the British public and there is not a man in Parliament better equipped and with more passion to lead the fight to save Britain's best loved institution.

Andy will sail through the Labour leadership campaign given all the Tony Blair soundalikes will end up acheiving backing from the Tory press but from sod all else.

Best footballer in Parliament too so shitty rags like the Sun are going to have to think up new lines other than too geeky, too nerdy etc

To my fellow NSC lefties, we've had a few days licking our wounds but enough of that - the fightback starts now and we never give up!!!

The days of the NHS privatising, fox hunt restoring, human rights abolishing shower are numbered :thumbsup:

yep best man for the job to ensure labour dont have a prayer of re-election..... old labour, lied about the health service being sold off... yes please

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well it's the Blairites who always say listen to the voters, right? I guess Jim and Dougie got a bit "out of touch". Maybe they should be more "positive." Perhaps more "aspirational".

You can take the phrase "listen to the voters" a bit too literally when the electoral system is First Past The Post. As we've just seen, the SNP got a 50% share of the vote in Scotland but won 95% of the seats.

Indeed, it feels as though Scotland is united as one under Nicola Sturgeon when the reality is 50% of the Scottish 2015 GE voters did NOT vote SNP and 55% of the Scottish electorate voted against independence.

yep best man for the job to ensure labour dont have a prayer of re-election..... old labour, lied about the health service being sold off... yes please

A Tory at last - we forgot that you were here

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Don't forget he oversaw the commencement of backdoor privatisation (with diagnostic tests being done by private providers - which incidentally remains the correct thing to do when there are capacity issues) and then there was Mid Staffs........

However, have seen him speak and he has a lot more credibility than the vast majority of Labour candidates and handles himself impeccably compared to some of the others.

Don't forget he oversaw the commencement of backdoor privatisation

Absolutely - that's why it was so pleasing to see him say New Labour got it wrong - it has now put clear water between the Labour Party and the Tories.

You want to slide towards a fully marketised NHS of which the final stage will be us "marketised" with insurance - and remember this is what the Daily Telegraph is now arguing for - you vote Tory. Or if you want to keep a free health service, you have to vote for one of the other parties - of which Burnham's will be the biggest.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...You want to slide towards a fully marketised NHS of which the final stage will be us "marketised" with insurance - and remember this is what the Daily Telegraph is now arguing for - you vote Tory. Or if you want to keep a free health service, you have to vote for one of the other parties - of which Burnham's will be the biggest.

Do you believe this sort of drivel when you write it?

Do you believe this sort of drivel when you write it?

Want to read the Daily Telegraph article or just stick your head in the sand? Your choice

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You want to slide towards a fully marketised NHS of which the final stage will be us "marketised" with insurance - and remember this is what the Daily Telegraph is now arguing for - you vote Tory. Or if you want to keep a free health service, you have to vote for one of the other parties - of which Burnham's will be the biggest.

That really will not be enough to win an election.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Absolutely - that's why it was so pleasing to see him say New Labour got it wrong - it has now put clear water between the Labour Party and the Tories.

Free? FREE health service. I think you may believe you own rubbish but really, FREE!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But they didn't, that's the point, is it better to make cancer patients wait for a diagnostic test or go to a private provider who has the capacity?

He'd actually do better to highlight the rationale behind it and lack of funding etc.....

I absolutely agree that the NHS should not be privatised, but there are examples where help is required. Daily Telegraph is clueless, it would be political suicide for the Tories to go with full blown privatisation or alternatively any insurance based approach (though of course individuals may make that decision in their own right).

As I said I do like Burnham though........

That really will not be enough to win an election.

Of course not but it's going to become an increasingly strong factor, the two others will be strong credible leadership which Burnham gives and the economy, and I think the Tory excuses of why people won't have got a pay rise will have worn threadbare by 2020 (remember Major got the boot with GDP growth at 4%).

Happy to hear what else you think will be needed.

Selling out to Murdoch as Blair did is not an option, if that's people's definition of being "aspirational" they can stick it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yep you've kinda given up on your heavyweight intellectual interventions into Labour's future, right? I think everyone can see that.

What now, 8 or 9 more posts of this kind of playground drivel? Any chance you can just roll into one big post so you don't end up totally boring the arse off an interesting thread?

I can guarantee the only part of this thread that's interesting is Simster v London Childish.

I can guarantee the only part of this thread that's interesting is Simster v London Childish.

Can't wait until the euro referendum, you Tories will be SLAUGHTERING each other :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here