Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steele is a legend

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Just watching the penalty shootout back on iPlayer. Don't ask me why. Catharsis? Anyway, seeing Steele continuing to console Solly for long after all the other players had just made me love that man even more. What a team player.

As an aside, not afraid to say I shed a tear for Solly watching that back. I feel worse for him as a person than I did that we lost.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Also good to see that ref didn't jobsworthly enforce the rule that players can't leave the semi-circle and let Dunk go up to Solly early on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just watching the penalty shootout back on iPlayer. Don't ask me why. Catharsis? Anyway, seeing Steele continuing to console Solly for long after all the other players had just made me love that man even more. What a team player.

As an aside, not afraid to say I shed a tear for Solly watching that back. I feel worse for him as a person than I did that we lost.
Yeah, his face on that long walk back towards the halfway line. He's clearly in absolute agony fearing what is going to happen next.

And reading more about Weghort's shithousery hasn't helped...

Asked if he was determined to speak to March, Weghorst told reporters: "Yeah, I already said it actually before we started to some of the guys but nobody did it. I scored and then I saw the ball and tried to get a few advantages which could maybe help us win it.​
"I walked to him and said some things, but at the end [of the match] I went to him because I felt also a little bit sorry because obviously this was the one that they missed. I just tried everything and normally it doesn't make a difference but maybe it did."​

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure it is probably mentioned elsewhere but there is a video out there showing that when the winning penalty went in, while all the rest of the United players ran towards Lindelof, Luke Shaw went along the line of Albion players to shake their hands before going off to join them - very classy unlike some of his team mates.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm sure it is probably mentioned elsewhere but there is a video out there showing that when the winning penalty went in, while all the rest of the United players ran towards Lindelof, Luke Shaw went along the line of Albion players to shake their hands before going off to join them - very classy unlike some of his team mates.
Yep very classy from Shaw.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Similar to Glen Murray at Millwall. Whilst the team rushed off to celebrate he turned to the Millwall team

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think we're doing a disservice to March's mental toughness by suggesting a few words from Weghorse in anyway impacted his taking of the penalty.

He missed because it was a huge moment, whatever Weghorse might have said didn't change that.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Scuffing the penalty spot by the keeper should be instant Red card in a shoot out. Equally, Sanchez should also have recovered the ball from the previous pen and given it to Solly rather than let Weghorst get hold of it. Fine margins.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I’m not convinced that Solly missed because of Sanchez or De Gea or Weghorst.

I think he missed because he’s not a very good penalty taker.

In saying this, I want to emphasise that I think he’s terrific in most aspects of the game.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I said that leaving the stadium, we lost, it is what it is, it hurt more seeing how much it hurt Lewis and Solly particularly.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I feel we missed a trick. You could see the Man Utd players doing everything possible to put off our penalty takers, whereas Sanchez did none of it. De Gea did the whole thing of going up to the penalty spot delaying the kicker etc. Sanchez stood on his line, arms up, and barely moved. I feel Steele would have done a lot more.

Sanchez had a great game by the way but just doesn't look up for penalties in any way at all. I'd have subbed him and brought Steele on. Assuming we still had subs to make?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I feel we missed a trick. You could see the Man Utd players doing everything possible to put off our penalty takers, whereas Sanchez did none of it. De Gea did the whole thing of going up to the penalty spot delaying the kicker etc. Sanchez stood on his line, arms up, and barely moved. I feel Steele would have done a lot more.

Sanchez had a great game by the way but just doesn't look up for penalties in any way at all. I'd have subbed him and brought Steele on. Assuming we still had subs to make?
I think people are making too much of it. We scored 6 pens and De Gea didn't get near any of them. Solly missed because he missed. Sanchez was the closest of both keeps to making a save.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Scuffing the penalty spot by the keeper should be instant Red card in a shoot out.

Yep, WTF was that about. No keeper has any reason or right to go near that spot.

Equally, Sanchez should also have recovered the ball from the previous pen and given it to Solly rather than let Weghorst get hold of it.
Yes he should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here