[Albion] Steele and Webster

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Roberto DeZerbi is responsible for that result today. Anyone pointing the blame at individual players doesn’t understand football. Take out either Welbeck or Ferguson from the starting line up and put Dehoud or Beleba in front of Dunk and Webster and it’s a different game, with maybe a different result. A plan B, if you like, for when we play important games, that we’d like to win but we don’t want to lose. DeZerbiBall does not work when that’s all we do. Blaming Steele for losing 6:1 is embarrassing. Let’s pretend he pulls off three absolute world class saves, we’d still have lost comfortably. This is on Roberto.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Their second certainly, also their fifth and sixth. Third and fourth no, they were deflections. First certainly very hard to save.

Point is that no one is blaming him for not saving any of them them, well hit goals to the corners. But the best keepers pull out jaw-dropping saves that you can't believe they got to.

Can we turn the question round, can you name an amazing mind-blowing save from Steele?

The fifth one literally went in off the post :lolol: and the sixth one came after he had a made a good 1-on-1 save.

No I don't remember a 'mind-blowing' save from Steele. But as long as he's saving the ones he should, that's fine.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Okay, Steele conceded one more than that... but still, that's not the point.

We see it all the time with Steele, conceding goals that a better keeper would have saved. This is not an isolated game. It's just he's not a very good shot stopper at this level.

Don't mean to be harsh on him, because he's been a great servant and can still do a job as a back up... but keeper is such an important position. A decent shot stopper can so often be the difference between 0 and 3 points... or it could have saved us face on a day like today.

We need to go all in with Bart now.
Which goal should he have saved ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Ironic thing was . That was Webster not playing too badly for him . Standard giving ball away constantly though but didn’t actually cost us

Steele Amazing with feet but a lot of goals get scored down the middle and beat post don’t they

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Singling out Steele when he was behind that utter car crash of a midfield and defence shows that some people have zero understanding of football. Pervis looked like he won a competition to play in a prem football match, the centre backs left Watkins constantly unmarked, and the central and wide midfield was non existent and incapable of winning a tackle or making basic passes. But let’s blame the keeper. Lol.
That's not the point though is it. No, we didn't lose because of Steele, and that's generally true everytime we lose with him. But how many games have we won because of him? Can't think of any. We beat West Ham if they're keeper doesn't have a blinder. We beat Chelsea in the Carabao if their keeper doesn't make some crucial saves. Pope last year kept a completely one sided game 0-0.

Basically teams have a much better chance of prospering if their keepers can pull off brilliant saves. If its all about the footwork, heck play Lallana in goal, less chance of getting injured there.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Their second certainly, also their fifth and sixth. Third and fourth no, they were deflections. First certainly very hard to save.

Point is that no one is blaming him for not saving any of them them, well hit goals to the corners. But the best keepers pull out jaw-dropping saves that you can't believe they got to.

Can we turn the question round, can you name an amazing mind-blowing save from Steele?
No one saves the second, unless they anticipated / guessed to dive right, and he was possibly unsighted. The sixth was passed into the net, the fifth would have been a world class save. So maybe if Steele made a world class save, we’d have lost 5:1 but you want to blame him for the defeat instead of RDZ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No one saves the second, unless they anticipated / guessed to dive right, and he was possibly unsighted. The sixth was passed into the net, the fifth would have been a world class save. So maybe if Steele made a world class save, we’d have lost 5:1 but you want to blame him for the defeat instead of RDZ?
Steele was clearly not the reason for the defeat. I’m not sure blame would be right for RDZ either. If we back his style of play it encompasses days like today alongside the good days. Everton last year. Villa this year.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
The fifth one literally went in off the post :lolol: and the sixth one came after he had a made a good 1-on-1 save.

No I don't remember a 'mind-blowing' save from Steele. But as long as he's saving the ones he should, that's fine.
I was fairly drunk by the fifth, to be fair :)

But no, i don't think 'its fine' that he just saves the ones he should, because that just ends up with Everton scoring 5, Villa scoring 6, West ham scoring 3 off 20% possession, AEK scoring three the same way. Is it too much to ask for a keeper who can pick one out of the corner?

Our last memory of Sanchez is full length tipping a Rashford shot, bound for the bottom corner, around the post to preserve a clean sheet at Wembley. At least till we saw him keep a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge last week.

I have high hopes for Bart, let's leave it there.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
See above
Keepers do make worldies. I like Steele, but I'm not going to keep liking Everton scoring 5, Villa 6, or West ham and AEK scoring 3 each from next to no possession.

It's not his fault today, i totally blame RDZ's formation. But days like today are the only time we really get to discuss Steele's failings, so here we are.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
That's not the point though is it. No, we didn't lose because of Steele, and that's generally true everytime we lose with him. But how many games have we won because of him? Can't think of any. We beat West Ham if they're keeper doesn't have a blinder. We beat Chelsea in the Carabao if their keeper doesn't make some crucial saves. Pope last year kept a completely one sided game 0-0.

Basically teams have a much better chance of prospering if their keepers can pull off brilliant saves. If its all about the footwork, heck play Lallana in goal, less chance of getting injured there.

No shit Sherlock. Teams also have a much better chance of prospering if their attacking players take their chances, the midfield win their battles and the defense defends properly.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I was fairly drunk by the fifth, to be fair :)

But no, i don't think 'its fine' that he just saves the ones he should, because that just ends up with Everton scoring 5, Villa scoring 6, West ham scoring 3 off 20% possession, AEK scoring three the same way. Is it too much to ask for a keeper who can pick one out of the corner?

Our last memory of Sanchez is full length tipping a Rashford shot, bound for the bottom corner, around the post to preserve a clean sheet at Wembley. At least till we saw him keep a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge last week.

I have high hopes for Bart, let's leave it there.

Are you familiar with recency bias?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I think a lot of fans think it's enough for a keeper to only save the expected... if it's a decent finish against them, 'fair enough, not a lot he could have done about that one'.

No, that's absolutely the wrong way to see things at this level. Premier League keepers need to be expected to make incredible saves. They're not going to save every great finish - but they should be expected to save at least some of them. It's literally the difference between success and failure.

Having a quality shot stopper in goal is SO IMPORTANT at this level, where shots are so often so precise and clinical.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think a lot of fans think it's enough for a keeper to only save the expected... if it's a decent finish against them, 'fair enough, not a lot he could have done about that one'.

No, that's absolutely the wrong way to see things at this level. Premier League keepers need to be expected to make incredible saves. They're not going to save every great finish - but they should be expected to save at least some of them. It's literally the difference between success and failure.

Having a quality shot stopper in goal is SO IMPORTANT at this level, where shots are so often so precise and clinical.

And which goalkeeper that is a quality shot stopper and great with his feet could we afford?

Bart is hopefully going to turn into that player but otherwise, players like Alisson cost £60m.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
And which goalkeeper that is a quality shot stopper and great with his feet could we afford?

Bart is hopefully going to turn into that player but otherwise, players like Alisson cost £60m.

Bart is exactly that.

Needs to be starting every game.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Not sure I agree with that last sentence. It’s nice when a keeper makes no-right-to-save-that type of save. It’s as good as scoring a goal. Sanchez made one the other night and also in the FA Cup semi when he kept out Rashford’s deflected shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports