Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steele and Webster

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
And all of this is relevant because we’ve stopped scoring more than 1 goal.

Through all of RDZs career his teams have shipped goals and he’s relied on out scoring. Our defensive record here is about par - but goals scored has declined dramatically.
It makes a difference though. Knowing your goalkeeper won’t make saves puts an incredible pressure on the forwards to always out score the opposition and the defence to ensure as few shots are faced as possible. But this is the PL and we’re Brighton - something will give. The fact that we have so many forward injuries means you’re less likely to score as many goals, which means you have to adapt to concede less. It’s arrogant otherwise.

And, whether people on here like it or not, we always concede more with Steele in goal because he’s just not great at goalkeeping. And no amount of him being nice or being good with his feet will change that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It does to some people!!

First goal, Webster's fault as he allowed Wilson onto his favoured left foot.
Second goal, I really don't see that Steel is at fault. Player gets ahead of Dunk for the header. I suggest most keepers will concede there.
Third goal, I'm not sure what Sussex_Guy_2K2 is actually watching as Steele does stand up to him and it's only at the last moment that Traore passes it past into the net. When the keeper is that close it's almost impossible to react in time.

Absolute garbage to suggest it was amateurish goalkeeping.
You can call it garbage if you want. I disagree, personally. And the stats over a long period of time back me up rather than you.

I’ll always support Steele when he’s playing for us, but I’ve seen nothing from him to make me believe he’s more than an average Championship keeper that’s excellent with the ball at his feet. But we need more than that now, unfortunately.

Also, I’m not saying others shouldn’t share the blame. Of course they should. It’s obvious Webster was responsible for the initial mistake for the first, for example.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The problem is, when goals go in then there's often a comment, "nothing the goalkeeper could have done there". But that's not true. A top quality GK is able to make saves that a lower level goalkeeper can't make. It's just that simple. The goals Steele concedes might not always be directly and obviously goalkeeping errors, he makes very few howlers, but he is regularly beaten by many, many shots. A better goalkeeper just simply wouldn't be beaten as often as Steele is. The Aston Villa game is the classic example of that, even if we'd had Bobby Sanchez in goal we wouldn't have let in 6 because he wouldn't have been waving away shots on target.

People can debate it all day long but the reality is that he's not going to make saves and we're going to let in a lot of goals. Like when John Sullivan was in goal and we were shipping in 4 goals per game, then Michel Kuipers came back in and we stopped conceding in every game. As it was with that awful Wayne Henderson, and so on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
According to fbref.com, Bart is the better keeper on every metric. But both have terrible stats for PSxG. Which is the metric on how likely the goalkeeper is to save the shot.

Positive numbers suggest better luck or an above average ability to stop shots. Zero is average and +0.23 is the current best in the league. (Vicario)

Per 90 minutes played, Jason Steele is -0.22 and Bart is -0.20.

Combined Verbruggen and Steele are comfortably in the Premier League bottom four statistically.

No wonder we're busy buying up the best young keepers in the land.
We've developed young keepers on the past - and sold off one who is arguably better than the two we have at the moment - or possibly even two.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Regardless of the quality or otherwise of our two goalies, call me old fashioned, but I just cannot see how continual rotation is beneficial to either of them or their fellow defenders, especially given that de Zerbi Ball is said to be a high risk method of playing. All the more important then to have a settled defence, but to quote Manuel, ‘ I know nothing.’😳😁

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
We have conceded more than 2 goals in six games - Fulham (3), Luton (4), Chelsea (3), Villa (6), AEK Athens (3) & West Ham (3).

Verbruggen was in goal for the West Ham match and Steele the other five. I think it is time to give Bart an extended run in goal.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The problem is, when goals go in then there's often a comment, "nothing the goalkeeper could have done there". But that's not true. A top quality GK is able to make saves that a lower level goalkeeper can't make. It's just that simple. The goals Steele concedes might not always be directly and obviously goalkeeping errors, he makes very few howlers, but he is regularly beaten by many, many shots. A better goalkeeper just simply wouldn't be beaten as often as Steele is. The Aston Villa game is the classic example of that, even if we'd had Bobby Sanchez in goal we wouldn't have let in 6 because he wouldn't have been waving away shots on target.

People can debate it all day long but the reality is that he's not going to make saves and we're going to let in a lot of goals. Like when John Sullivan was in goal and we were shipping in 4 goals per game, then Michel Kuipers came back in and we stopped conceding in every game. As it was with that awful Wayne Henderson, and so on.
People are looking back on Sanchez with massively rose tinted glasses here, he was average and is being shown up as such. What Sanchez was very good at was high claims (which he still made massive errors with). Verbruggen should however be starting every game from now on.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Steele was not at fault for the 1st or 2nd on Saturday and we could have had Ederson in goal and they are still goals.

Webster was at fault TWICE for the 1st goal. He can add that to his collection this season which includes 2 assists for West Ham. The man costs us points. He's worse than Duffy ever was.

Pervis badly at fault for the 2nd but it was the 1st which changed the game, we had been untroubled until that hopeful punt up field fell to Webster to deal with....

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Steele was not at fault for the 1st or 2nd on Saturday and we could have had Ederson in goal and they are still goals.

Webster was at fault TWICE for the 1st goal. He can add that to his collection this season which includes 2 assists for West Ham. The man costs us points. He's worse than Duffy ever was.

Pervis badly at fault for the 2nd but it was the 1st which changed the game, we had been untroubled until that hopeful punt up field fell to Webster to deal with....
Theres a common theme here, who is in the back 4 when we concede two to Sheffield United? I just don't think Webster is good enough for this team anymore, get a good price in the summer and get a replacement.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Theres a common theme here, who is in the back 4 when we concede two to Sheffield United? I just don't think Webster is good enough for this team anymore, get a good price in the summer and get a replacement.

I'm curious what a good price for Webster might be?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Webster has to go in the summer, I don't want to see him playing for this club again.

For whatever reason/s, injuries, loss of confidence etc. after being a regular in GPs team and playing well enough to be talked of as an England player, he has failed to flourish under RDZ.
He does have a contract until 2026 but I am pretty certain he will move on in the summer and hopefully revive his career.

Last edited:

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
It makes a difference though. Knowing your goalkeeper won’t make saves puts an incredible pressure on the forwards to always out score the opposition and the defence to ensure as few shots are faced as possible. But this is the PL and we’re Brighton - something will give. The fact that we have so many forward injuries means you’re less likely to score as many goals, which means you have to adapt to concede less. It’s arrogant otherwise.

And, whether people on here like it or not, we always concede more with Steele in goal because he’s just not great at goalkeeping. And no amount of him being nice or being good with his feet will change that.
Good post

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Webster has to go in the summer, I don't want to see him playing for this club again.
The last part of your sentence is a little bit childish. I'm fully expecting him to start v Forest and to get other starts if we get past Roma because he's in the squad and we will need to use the full squad, especially if RDZ continues with 3 at the back. Come the summer I would like him to be upgraded, as he offers nothing to the team apart from game changing mistakes. Duffy made errors but weighed in with goals, Webster does the first but not the second.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That would be good. Surely Lamptey will be off too, as he'll be in the last year of his contract come Summer.
Some inside info from me

Lamptey hired a new agent to find him a move this summer.

That was pre coming back into the team though, so who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here