Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stay Another Day

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The lyrics don't relate to Christmas so I don't see how it can? A bit like Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Power of Love... it has the nativity as the video but how does it relate to Christmas, it's a love song

It depends how you interpret the lyrics though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its not a xmas song.

It was actually writtten by Tony Mortimer of East 17 about his brother I think who commited suicide.

Originally yes. But then when the record label got hold of the song they turned it into an Xmas song by demanding Xmas bells be put on it. If a song has Xmas bells on it and is released at Xmas it is an Xmas song. Simple.

If it was released any other time of the year you'd all be saying "this is a bit odd, why has a song with Xmas bells on it and a band dressed in white parkas with snow all over the shop been released in the summer?" It's an Xmas song!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No, but it is a fantastically tedious song.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I once saw Terry from East 17 buying D&G underpants in a fancy shop in Dublin one new year.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Conversely, I think Seals Kiss from a rose , sounds like it should be a Christmas song, and that came out mid summer i think

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Toughie. Like saying whether Die Hard is a Christmas film or not.

Stay Another Day was just "dressed" as a Christmas song by East 17's record company so "no".

Die Hard on the other hand is most definitely a Christmas film being set during the Christmas holidays with actual Christmas music featuring heavily.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Me and my mate Raul were having a discussion about the best Christmas songs in the Dog and Duck last night. Raul mentioned Stay Another Day as a classic, for me it's not a Christmas song though and it ended up in quite a heated exchange.

So for you is Stay Another Day classed as a Christmas song or not? #confused

???

Ask your mate if he use to work at Eagle Star in brighton

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ask your mate if he use to work at Eagle Star in brighton

No, he's never heard of it.

Just heard Stay Another Day on the wireless on the way from home. First Yuletide song I've heard this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here