Feb 16, 2017
The foot hills of Norfolk
1683624122577.png

So which team lost 5-1???

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It was a classic Dyche smash and grab raid. Their counter attacking was excellent, our defending wasn't.
Surely it's a smash, smash, smash, smash, smash and grab?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Such stats are quantative not qualitative data. Their five shots were taken in vast open spaces and ours were through a packed penalty box. This kind of openness to counterattacks was a frequent flaw under Potter, but yesterday was the first time it has really been obvious under RDZ.

Smug though he will be feeling over stuffing the flavour of the month foreign tactical genius, I don't buy that Dyche's tactics were the main issue. Everton's team executed their plan very well but the low block, quick attack is not something that we haven't faced and beaten this season. For me it was our tiredness and poor passing that gave them the opportunities. We started terribly and as the lead increased, our risk taking also increased and we frequently left ourselves massively open. I worry that last night was the result of a small, depleted and relatively inexperienced squad playing 5 games in 15 days. I worry because starting next weekend the same squad now has to play 5 in 14 days.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Proves statistics are irrelevant 😴
Stats are not irrelevant. They are just data. They will tell you about the measurement of one thing. They will tell you no more than that. Expecting a dynamic game like football to be governed by individual metrics is a mistake, but dismissing measurement because it doesn't always lead to an expected result is also a mistake. A lot of our lauded recruitment is based on good data and good analysis. It's what has made Tony Bloom's businesses so successful, including Brighton & Hove Albion.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Next time I write 'how can the opposition hurt you if they can't get the ball?', just give me a slap.
They did get the ball and were very very efficient in their use of it.

Possession is meaning less if you don't use it properly. We were slow, ponderous and making too many passes. When it works its brilliant to watch , but when we over elaborate it gets us nowhere as their defence just packed the box making it harder to shoot let alone score.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
5 shots on target each. They scored every shot past our keeper (according to these stats but I thought Steele had a couple saves?). Who do you think had the better quality chances? Generally a team on the fast break has higher xG per shot than a team trying to break down a low block.

The little raptor armed one made some amazing stops and our keeper kicked it nicely to our players, to then pause.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
5 shots on target each. They scored every shot past our keeper (according to these stats but I thought Steele had a couple saves?).
Not quite.

Their third probably wasn't even a shot and, if it was, it wasn't on target. It was Steele himself who diverted that on target.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
There were a lot of things yesterday that were just down to a quirk of fate. Everton, who've struggled to score all season suddenly were finishing like Barcelona. You'd normally expect them to have fluffed half of those goal chances. Solly pulling a hammy gifted their fifth. Pickford had the game of his life. We hit the bar twice and the post once. On another day we'd have won 3-2.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
5 shots on target each. They scored every shot past our keeper (according to these stats but I thought Steele had a couple saves?). Who do you think had the better quality chances? Generally a team on the fast break has higher xG per shot than a team trying to break down a low block.

The little raptor armed one made some amazing stops and our keeper kicked it nicely to our players, to then pause.
They had 5 shots on target, 4 shots went in and one was blocked by Dunk. The OG wouldn't have counted as a shot on target.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here