Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statements that come back to bite you.......

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Following Dougie's ill judged team talk for Cardiff yesterday, what other comments uttered by the great and the good have come back to bite them. For example:

- Nigel Adkins and his keeping up comment

- Alan Pardew after the 3-1 defeat of Reading by us 'I see us top'

- Graham Taylor 'tell the people back home to sit back tonight and watch a sparkling England performance' just ahead of the 2-0 defeat to the USA

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
"Please keep off the pitch, so Sam and the boyos can do a lap of honour"

That's a classic. We could also include [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION]'s comment when we signed Revell

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Nothing quite beats David Steel in 1983 telling his Liberal party MPs during the election campaign to "go back to their constituencies and prepare for Government".

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nothing quite beats David Steel in 1983 telling his Liberal party MPs during the election campaign to "go back to their constituencies and prepare for Government".

Wasn't that Kinnock?

Edit: evidently not. I always thought it was Kinnock. Not that he was immune to such gaffes of course.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

It was at their 1982 winter conference, and they were riding high in the polls, in fact the highest they'd been since Lloyd George's time, its was a few months before Maggie had the Malvinas situation(As Gleen Hoddle would say) drop into her lap, and that was that.

And on a Sporting note, David Haye and the decapation t shirt of the Klitschko brothers, then made a right c*** of himself in Hamburg.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
"The Polish keeper [insert name here... Tomasecski?] is a clown" - Cloughie in 1973 before the Polish keeper probably gave the best goalkeeping display ever witnessed at Wembley and England crashed out of the World Cup.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Scotland thinking they were gonna win the world cup in 197-something comes to mind, although it's a bit before my time (weren't they knocked out by Peru or someone?)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Scotland thinking they were gonna win the world cup in 197-something comes to mind, although it's a bit before my time (weren't they knocked out by Peru or someone?)

78, they had a farewell do at Hampden Park packed full of excited sweaties, and Ally MCleod seriously predicted they could bring the World Cup back. Peru beat them in the first game, and then they drew with the mighty Iran 1-1 before salvaging some pride with 3-2 win against Holland.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted journalism in our country with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against falsehood and those who peddle it. My fight begins today. Thank you and good afternoon." Jonathan Aitken.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
On a local Non League Level: Some six years or so ago, then Worthing Manager Alan Pook stating after relegation "He could 99% guarantee promotion the following season."

As of today, they are still in the same division. ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And Smith must......................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here