Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starting XI for Charlton

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Desperate to see Wilson and Zamora together from the start. Their attributes should complement each other perfectly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What is this obsession with dropping Bobby? Him and Wilson to start for me and they will rip Charlton apart.

Obsession? What are you talking about? :lolol:

We're debating the merits of resting probably our best but aged striker against relatively weak opposition. If Hughton can secure three points without needing more than a cameo from Zamora then I hope he does it. Apart from anything else, this sort of game might be a good chance to get Hemed firing again, and Wilson looks proper lively. It's not a major risk to leave out Zamora, IMO.

Last edited:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Stockdale

Bruno
Greer
Dunk
Calderon (hes scored a couple v charlton)

March
Kayal
Stephens
Murphy

Hemed
Wilson

bench

Niki
Goldson (german if fit)
Ince (crofts if fit)
JFC
Manu
Parra
Zamora (needs a rest)

Charlton have dismal away record and only scored four goals in nine away games.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Stockdale

Bruno
Greer
Dunk
Calderon (hes scored a couple v charlton)

March
Kayal
Stephens
Murphy

Hemed
Wilson

bench

Niki
Goldson (german if fit)
Ince (crofts if fit)
JFC
Manu
Parra
Zamora (needs a rest)

Zamora needs a rest !! Hasn't played for a week .look he is fine playing 60 mins every Saturday what he cant do is Saturday and then Tuesday.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's going to be a really difficult game on Saturday to be mentally prepared. The players have been built up for big games against form teams such as away to Reading, TV game away to Burnley, home to Birmingham. If we even drop off for a fraction because it's 'Charlton' and we look at away records and their form, we'll be in for a shock.

I would say our performances against MK Dons, Preston, Bristol City, Rotherham all lacked the intensity we have applied in other fixtures. This for me will be as tough to get right as the 3 after it. You would hope they're brimming with confidence after Saturday and need little help in being up for it, but I'm nervous all the same...but have faith they'll do the business.

Stumpy Tim

The team certainly doesn't pick itself that's for sure. Calderon will play left-back and rightly so - he's never let anyone down. Personally I would start with Hemed and Zamora. One on form, one needing to find form. Wilson's time will come

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

We're debating the merits of resting probably our best but aged striker against relatively weak opposition. If Hughton can secure three points without needing more than a cameo from Zamora then I hope he does it. Apart from anything else, this sort of game might be a good chance to get Hemed firing again, and Wilson looks proper lively. It's not a major risk to leave out Zamora, IMO.

I've seen at least 3 people mention dropping him, so that is an obsession!! :)

Do you see Bobby and Wilson as our main strike threat, or Hemed and Wilson? I think the former, therefore they should start. Hemed is a very good back-up and has been rather unlucky recently, but Bobby's guile and Wilson's young, raw but undoubted talent is the partnership I would like to see us getting up to speed asap, so they have to play imo.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The problem with starting Bobby is you're pretty much committed to substituting him after 60 minutes which isn't ideal as you never know what the game may throw up. A defender getting sent off, an injury etc. Wouldn't be grumbling at all if he didn't start but can understand the thinking in him not starting. Hemed has to start for me, needs a goal to hopefully give his confidence a nice boost.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

100% this

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
I've seen at least 3 people mention dropping him, so that is an obsession!! :)

Do you see Bobby and Wilson as our main strike threat, or Hemed and Wilson? I think the former, therefore they should start. Hemed is a very good back-up and has been rather unlucky recently, but Bobby's guile and Wilson's young, raw but undoubted talent is the partnership I would like to see us getting up to speed asap, so they have to play imo.

Agreed Bobby and Wilson sounds great, but would save Bob for Derby and QPR.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Stockdale

Bruno
Greer
Dunk
Calderon

March
Kayal
Stephens
Murphy

Zamora
Wilson

Subs : Maenpaa, Goldson, Hunemeier, JFC, Van La Parra, Elvis, Hemed

Starting 11 looks fine.
Too many defenders on the bench?

Just the two, and both are primarily centre backs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chicksen on the bench instead of VLP or Elvis.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale
Bruno..Greer...Hunemier/Dunk Calderon
March..Kayal...Stephens....Crofts,
Hemed....Wilson.

Subs: Maenpaa, Dunk/Hunemier, Goldson Murphy, BZ, Van La Parre, Inc

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
do you think houghton might play 5-4-1 against derby and boro with greer in front of dunk+ heunemier and bruno and calde acting as wing backs........kayal , stephens, crofts, lua lua ....mid ......wilson up front......two games we definitely wont want to loose but still plenty of options on the bench.....towell , bobby , solly....to try and pinch a win in the last 10-15 minutes..???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
do you think houghton might play 5-4-1 against derby and boro with greer in front of dunk+ heunemier and bruno and calde acting as wing backs........kayal , stephens, crofts, lua lua ....mid ......wilson up front......two games we definitely wont want to loose but still plenty of options on the bench.....towell , bobby , solly....to try and pinch a win in the last 10-15 minutes..???

Isnt Towell not available till January?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Caldy in for Rosenior, obvs, but other than that the only issue is whether or not Wilson starts instead of Hemed, but after last Saturday, the team picks itself surely? I think he'll start with Sir Bobby and Hemed again. God he needs a goal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale
Bruno..Greer...Hunemier/Dunk Calderon
March..Kayal...Stephens....Crofts,
Hemed....Wilson.

Subs: Maenpaa, Dunk/Hunemier, Goldson Murphy, BZ, Van La Parre, Inc

I have suggested this team to see how Crofts can back up Calderon with Derby in mind and it can always be changed at half time after CH has had the chance to look at it. We do not have a left footed defensive midfielder to back up Calderon so I think Crofts is the best option if fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here