Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] starting on ADs

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’ve been on all of them at some point (all the SSRI’s I mean) since the age of 16. Had a spell off them in my 20’s and it severely impaired my decision making; I’ll put it that way.

I found they all have different side effects, ranging from excessive tiredness, to insomnia, to bowel problems, to increased anxiety. They also can “stop working” without a trigger event; doctors know this too and will offer to change when this happens. I last changed about three years from Sertraline to Citalopram, but this increased my anxiety while improving my mood. So the GP prescribed Propanalol which is a beta blocker I take twice daily to help offset this and minimise chances of an anxiety attack.

The most useful treatment is medication side by side with CBT - cognitive behaviour therapy. The problem is the waitlists are extraordinary and you only get out what you put in.

In my experience, and it’s stating the obvious, but the antidepressants are there to give a nudge, not cure the illness. Healing comes from within and a holistic approach is the only true way to work towards maintaining mental wellness. Therapy, medication, regular exercise (30 minutes walking a day), fresh air, sunshine (seasonal affective disorder is a huge issue and very underrated in Britain), light therapy, a good diet, positive affirmations… every “treatment” works hand in hand.

Antidepressants aren’t magic but for many people, including myself, they provide crucial support for healthy brain function. They are also wrongly prescribed frequently as replacements for mood stabilisers and in place of therapy, instead of an addition to it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve been on all of them at some point (all the SSRI’s I mean) since the age of 16. Had a spell off them in my 20’s and it severely impaired my decision making; I’ll put it that way.

I found they all have different side effects, ranging from excessive tiredness, to insomnia, to bowel problems, to increased anxiety. They also can “stop working” without a trigger event; doctors know this too and will offer to change when this happens. I last changed about three years from Sertraline to Citalopram, but this increased my anxiety while improving my mood. So the GP prescribed Propanalol which is a beta blocker I take twice daily to help offset this and minimise chances of an anxiety attack.

The most useful treatment is medication side by side with CBT - cognitive behaviour therapy. The problem is the waitlists are extraordinary and you only get out what you put in.

In my experience, and it’s stating the obvious, but the antidepressants are there to give a nudge, not cure the illness. Healing comes from within and a holistic approach is the only true way to work towards maintaining mental wellness. Therapy, medication, regular exercise (30 minutes walking a day), fresh air, sunshine (seasonal affective disorder is a huge issue and very underrated in Britain), light therapy, a good diet, positive affirmations… every “treatment” works hand in hand.

Antidepressants aren’t magic but for many people, including myself, they provide crucial support for healthy brain function. They are also wrongly prescribed frequently as replacements for mood stabilisers and in place of therapy, instead of an addition to it.
Thank you. I found reading this useful.

The last couple of days of Setraline have been hell and I am in a constant state of anxiety. This was caused by an ongoing tooth problem. My anxiety kicks off when there is any chemical change in my body from toothache to just a mild stomach ache. It just triggers. I think the Setraline has amplified it.

I do have mild depression, which comes and goes, but the biggest thing in my life is anxiety. I'm trying to work out whether to stop the Setraline now, before I get any withdrawal symptoms, and just use the beta blockers (although Propranalol can cause stomach issues which trigger anxiety).

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Mrs Corner has been on ADs for much of her adult life. I never have. When we first became a permanent item, well over 20 years ago, I believed I could help wean her off them with support/positivity etc. Whilst we did make some inroads it was not significant, even though we both wanted to reduce any ‘dependence’.

Her GP, wisely and correctly, explained that whatever chemical balance she had in her brain meant that she NEEDED some help from meds to rebalance her system. And this would probably be for a lifetime.

She has had a variety of different meds over the years including fluoxetine but for many years now has been on a low ish dose of venlafaxine for ‘anxiety’.

In my view GP’s do usually give sensible advice and need to be listened to. I would also support the view that you need to sort out your love life!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thank you. I found reading this useful.

The last couple of days of Setraline have been hell and I am in a constant state of anxiety. This was caused by an ongoing tooth problem. My anxiety kicks off when there is any chemical change in my body from toothache to just a mild stomach ache. It just triggers. I think the Setraline has amplified it.

I do have mild depression, which comes and goes, but the biggest thing in my life is anxiety. I'm trying to work out whether to stop the Setraline now, before I get any withdrawal symptoms, and just use the beta blockers (although Propranalol can cause stomach issues which trigger anxiety).
In a month or so when you finish your starter course, explain your anxiety is an issue for you when you see your GP. They will do a checklist/questionnaire and score you based on your answers (The GAD-7 test). You will likely be prescribed Propanalol and they may suggest switching to a different SSRI. This comes down to your medical record and the doctor’s preference.

But I really cannot emphasise enough the need for a holistic approach. Things like breathing exercises, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and a healthy lifestyle are crucial to “turning the corner” hand in hand with medicine.

Good luck. Any questions if you want anecdotal advice - not qualified medical advice - feel free to DM me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In a month or so when you finish your starter course, explain your anxiety is an issue for you when you see your GP. They will do a checklist/questionnaire and score you based on your answers (The GAD-7 test). You will likely be prescribed Propanalol and they may suggest switching to a different SSRI. This comes down to your medical record and the doctor’s preference.

But I really cannot emphasise enough the need for a holistic approach. Things like breathing exercises, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and a healthy lifestyle are crucial to “turning the corner” hand in hand with medicine.

Good luck. Any questions if you want anecdotal advice - not qualified medical advice - feel free to DM me.
Thank you, very much appreciated.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I've just started taking Sertraline on Monday at a low dose, although not at a good time. My anxiety attacks are heightened by chemical changes in my body, so things such as headaches, stomach aches etc, spark attacks. I've developed a tooth problem this week which will be around for a while until I can get treatment, so this week is hell.

I'm sleeping a lot and sleeping well, but I've gone off my food and barely eaten in the last two days (since the tooth problem kicked in) and am in a constant state of anxiety (although in my mind my thoughts are rational and fine). It's hard to know whether just to stop taking the Setraline while it's unlikely withdrawal symptoms set in or just to reassure myself the side effects may not be around for much longer.

I just seem to sleep well but within a couple of minutes of getting up get gripped with angst for no reason. At least I'm losing that extra weight I wanted to...

Any thoughts are helpful. NSC does this well. My life has been crippled with anxiety for 15 years, it's why I don't attend games. That and a bit of the black dog (Tries to avoid the word 'depression' but yes I do get depressed)
Sending you love.

I have been affected my entire life.

Remember that it does pass. i find the following things work:

regular exercise.
limit alcohol intake.
going to games really helps me as it completely takes my mind off everything else.
Social helps too. Being amongst people.
Find some people who 'just get it'. I have a few of these. Other anxiety heads that have no problem and do no judging when you just say it's shit. They don't solve it, but they can listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here