Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] starting on ADs

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I've been struggling with life for the last two years. a lot due to circumstances (long-term secret affair, very little freelance work in my sector, and a sideline business folded during covid). I have a gf I love (but many complications) and a wife who is fantastic person but we are v distant obv and in separate rooms.

On the positive side I exercise almost every day which really perks up my mood, walk dog daily, and I am a v social animal and have some amazing friends, and can talk to them deeply about my MH concerns.

I made the decision to go on ADs, I'm on Sertaline 20mg after consulting GP. Only two weeks now, but no real change in mood, apart from tiredness. I will continue. But last night I had a social/work related event and drank a fair bit and it really span me out, I've been listless all day and really spaced out. Clearly the booze and meds clashed.

My Q for those on ADs, particularly Sertaline, is how did you find it reacted? I do like a couple of glasses of wine a night, and can binge on a night out (once a fortnight/three weeks). I do realise that ADs an booze are not a harmonious combo so am moderating my intake.

Have put the affair on 'pause' which has reduced my stress levels to a degree. I am experiencing 'brain zaps', which come and go.

Is this fairly typical response to starting ADs? When did others see benefits kick in?

All advice v much appreciated.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I took sertraline for a couple of years to help with stress/anxiety. For me, the effect was very subtle - there was no specific point where it "kicked in", but after a few weeks I just sort of became aware that I was feeling better without really noticing it. I didn't suffer any of the side effects they warn you about, thankfully.

Alcohol massively amplifies my anxiety, so I was trying to cut that out at the time anyway, but after a while I found I was able to have a beer or two on a Friday night without any problems. Certainly lowered my tolerance for alcohol while I was taking it though, and the odd time I had more than a couple I would certainly know about it.

It really worked for me, I've been off it for about 8 months now but would have no qualms about taking it again if symptoms ever return.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I take 100mg of sertraline a day, have done for a few years. Can't say I really know what the differences are anymore but some observations:

Drink a decent amount of water with it- if you don't, it can sit there burning your throat for hours which is not fun at all.

I usually take them with/after food, seems to interact badly with my stomach sometimes otherwise. Can't say I've ever noticed any effects from drinking booze with them tbh, though I used to feel very drunk very quickly when I took Citalopram years ago.

You probably won't be able to 'achieve satisfaction' at times... can get a bit irritating.

Don't miss a day, you'll really notice it and feel crap. Maybe not so much on a smaller dosage but you do need to taper off it if and when you want to come off it. It's meant to take something like 3 months to really start making an impact, so stick with it for a while and you'll be able to tell if it's right for you, as obviously SSRIs aren't one size fits all.

Don't expect it to work miracles though. My GP explained the sertraline as 'the ladder' but I still 'have to do the climbing'; keeping good habits, exercising etc, sounds like you're on the right path in that regard.

I say this but the lowest dosage I've been on was 50mg so these may not apply, and of course it's going to effect everyone differently, but hopefully useful insight at least!

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
many thanks for the input chaps. I'm approaching three weeks on it now, and the last two days have been much better: more energy and more optimistic. still getting odd sensations of brain fizzling but thankfully getting some deep sleep which is really helping.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Been off and on them all my life. Got to a point at the minute where i was getting an anxious response on them, so came off them as I might as well have that drug free.

Don't miss doses as it will f*** with your head. Obviously alcohol is a depressant and it's not amazing with it but i ended up dping both anyway. Interestingly I found that other less legal drugs didn't really work and thats because the chemical composition is similar to Sertraline. I I rarely did this stuff anyway so no big loss.

The truth is no-one really knows how they work. Also over time you get used to them and they are less effective.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
20mg is a very low dose, most people start on 50 or 100 mg a day. I was on 100 mg for 5 + years although at one point I went up to 150. When coming off, my GP told me the smallest tablet was 50mg which I then broke in half and then thirds in my last few months as I came off.

When starting I experienced occasional weird trippy like dreams and some migraine flashes which GP assured me was not uncommon when starting and indeed coming off Sertraline. Try not to miss any meds as it can mess with you. My GP said moderate alcohol intake is ok. It can take a few weeks for benefits to fully kick in but Sertraline helped me.

Good luck.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
many thanks for the input chaps. I'm approaching three weeks on it now, and the last two days have been much better: more energy and more optimistic. still getting odd sensations of brain fizzling but thankfully getting some deep sleep which is really helping.
The wiki page is decent. I probably know the person who wrote it. :lolol: (It wasn't me - wrong organ)

Any technical Qs, fire away.

It is of the same class as Prozac (Fluoxetine) but does not have the same risk of extreme dependence (which is idiosyncratic meaning it happens in a cohort of susceptible people, and is thus a property of that person and supposedly not a ubiquitous property of the drug).

My advice, which is worth nothing, is that it may be best to try to sort out your life. Having a wife and GF on the go is great for psychopaths, but for the rest of us it quickly becomes hell. I was there many years ago and it became the second worst time of my life.

Best wishes :thumbsup:

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
20mg is a very low dose, most people start on 50 or 100 mg a day. I was on 100 mg for 5 + years although at one point I went up to 150. When coming off, my GP told me the smallest tablet was 50mg which I then broke in half and then thirds in my last few months as I came off.

When starting I experienced occasional weird trippy like dreams and some migraine flashes which GP assured me was not uncommon when starting and indeed coming off Sertraline. Try not to miss any meds as it can mess with you. My GP said moderate alcohol intake is ok. It can take a few weeks for benefits to fully kick in but Sertraline helped me.

Good luck.
my mistake...on 50mg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Talk to a proffesional, get of tablets, they're just a crutch...
He certainly has. Prescriptions are written by professionals (medics).

Learn to spell.
Get off your high horse
(etc. etc.)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Taking sertraline spiked my anxiety x 1000 but made me generally happier. The increased anxiety never really went away but it doesn't seem to be a common complaint with it.

I am not a very social person and have minor social anxiety issues. They definitely made me more talkative to the point I would just yammer on at anyone, which I actually miss now that I'm off them.

They also desensitised my dick so it took me ages to orgasm and made me feel like a king in bed.

Both the above led me to having the best few months worth of dating I've had before or since.

Came off them but feel like I need to go back on something, but not sertraline again, as I found the increased anxiety to be horrible, with continual jaw clenching etc etc. It seems like most people don't get this though so must be my specific brain issues.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Shagging another woman when you are married and living with the Mrs is going to get all kinds of guilty feelings and other emtions.

Shit, or get off the potty (you are either married or not). Be faithful.

Being a child of a 'broken home' and having been thru a marriage with a cheating bitch as well as helping a mate go thru the same I can state with some certainty that this behaviour creates a toxic environment which is not going to help your mental state.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Give it time will take at least a month for it to get into your body and do what its meant to do . Im 99% off the same AD now after a 2 year treatment. Hope it helps you as much as it has me to get you through this

Good luck and welcome to PM if it helps

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've just started taking Sertraline on Monday at a low dose, although not at a good time. My anxiety attacks are heightened by chemical changes in my body, so things such as headaches, stomach aches etc, spark attacks. I've developed a tooth problem this week which will be around for a while until I can get treatment, so this week is hell.

I'm sleeping a lot and sleeping well, but I've gone off my food and barely eaten in the last two days (since the tooth problem kicked in) and am in a constant state of anxiety (although in my mind my thoughts are rational and fine). It's hard to know whether just to stop taking the Setraline while it's unlikely withdrawal symptoms set in or just to reassure myself the side effects may not be around for much longer.

I just seem to sleep well but within a couple of minutes of getting up get gripped with angst for no reason. At least I'm losing that extra weight I wanted to...

Any thoughts are helpful. NSC does this well. My life has been crippled with anxiety for 15 years, it's why I don't attend games. That and a bit of the black dog (Tries to avoid the word 'depression' but yes I do get depressed)

Last edited:

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I've just started taking Sertraline on Monday at a low dose, although not at a good time. My anxiety attacks are heightened by chemical changes in my body, so things such as headaches, stomach aches etc, spark attacks. I've developed a tooth problem this week which will be around for a while until I can get treatment, so this week is hell.

I'm sleeping a lot and sleeping well, but I've gone off my food and barely eaten in the last two days (since the tooth problem kicked in) and am in a constant state of anxiety (although in my mind my thoughts are rational and fine). It's hard to know whether just to stop taking the Setraline while it's unlikely withdrawal symptoms set in or just to reassure myself the side effects may not be around for much longer.

I just seem to sleep well but within a couple of minutes of getting up get gripped with angst for no reason. At least I'm losing that extra weight I wanted too...

Any thoughts are helpful. NSC does this well. My life has been crippled with anxiety for 15 years, it's why I don't attend games. That and a bit of the black dog (Tries to avoid the word 'depression' but yes I do get depressed)
I was on Sertraline for a few months late last year into early this year. I found actually cutting down / cutting out the drinking had more of an impact on my anxiety and depression. It's amazing how linked alcohol and depression are. So I came off the Sertraline after 3 months. Once the booze was gone.

In terms of the OP: of course you're depressed. You're cheating on your wife. Stop the cheating or stop the marriage. Don't use taxpayer money to try and get rid of your guilt. Man up and make a choice. If your wife is "fantastic" why do you need to have an affair?

Man up, sort your personal life out and then if there is still an anxiety issue, get help and I'm sure we will all be a little more supportive.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was on Sertraline for a few months late last year into early this year. I found actually cutting down / cutting out the drinking had more of an impact on my anxiety and depression. It's amazing how linked alcohol and depression are. So I came off the Sertraline after 3 months. Once the booze was gone.

In terms of the OP: of course you're depressed. You're cheating on your wife. Stop the cheating or stop the marriage. Don't use taxpayer money to try and get rid of your guilt. Man up and make a choice. If your wife is "fantastic" why do you need to have an affair?

Man up, sort your personal life out and then if there is still an anxiety issue, get help and I'm sure we will all be a little more supportive.
I don't drink alcohol thankfully, so that's not an issue. This is because of other meds I have to take.

I was wondering how long the side effects of starting Setraline normally last really and what folk have experienced.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I don't drink alcohol thankfully, so that's not an issue. This is because of other meds I have to take.

I was wondering how long the side effects of starting Setraline normally last really and what folk have experienced.
The only side effect I had was a huge lack of interest in sex. Sex drive plummeted within a few days. So halfway through those 3 months I changed to Mirtazepine (I think that's what it's called) and all was good. Otherwise, didn't really notice anything else personally

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've been struggling with life for the last two years. a lot due to circumstances (long-term secret affair, very little freelance work in my sector, and a sideline business folded during covid). I have a gf I love (but many complications) and a wife who is fantastic person but we are v distant obv and in separate rooms.

On the positive side I exercise almost every day which really perks up my mood, walk dog daily, and I am a v social animal and have some amazing friends, and can talk to them deeply about my MH concerns.

I made the decision to go on ADs, I'm on Sertaline 20mg after consulting GP. Only two weeks now, but no real change in mood, apart from tiredness. I will continue. But last night I had a social/work related event and drank a fair bit and it really span me out, I've been listless all day and really spaced out. Clearly the booze and meds clashed.

My Q for those on ADs, particularly Sertaline, is how did you find it reacted? I do like a couple of glasses of wine a night, and can binge on a night out (once a fortnight/three weeks). I do realise that ADs an booze are not a harmonious combo so am moderating my intake.

Have put the affair on 'pause' which has reduced my stress levels to a degree. I am experiencing 'brain zaps', which come and go.

Is this fairly typical response to starting ADs? When did others see benefits kick in?

All advice v much appreciated.
Your life is very complicated. Maybe best to tackle the root causes of your anxiety rather than try to control the symptoms? Doctors over prescribe these types of drugs when therapies may be more effective. I think you should investigate the ‘brain zaps.’ I’m not sure what you mean but it could be a way of describing epilepsy and believe me you need that under control.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here