Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Starting a sentence with ' Look or Listen '

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I occasionally do (the Swedish versions, "kolla här..", "lyssna nu..") it if someone is panicking about something and I really need to reach to them and calm down but its sort of like the case with exclamations marks, you can use them a handful of times in a lifetime or you've overdone it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Dec 29, 2011
My mate says "right" after every sentence when arguing a point. Almost a Monty Python style "am i right?"

He's looking for affirmation, people who do this have low self confidence and need their beliefs validated. It's the same as people who say 'eh' (ey) after their sentence in Aus, NZ, America etc

'that was cool eh', 'itd be fun to do that again eh'

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
This was always something i associated with Australians but since the pandemic i have subconsciously started to do it quite frequently whilst answering someone.

I seems to have crept in over here now, unless i've not really noticed it before :shrug:

It was started by Ricky Ponting who used it after every word containing a vowel - FACT

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This was always something i associated with Australians but since the pandemic i have subconsciously started to do it quite frequently whilst answering someone.

I seems to have crept in over here now, unless i've not really noticed it before :shrug:

Very true, had crept in over the last few years, started with Aussie cricketers and pundits " Aw, look mate......"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was started by Ricky Ponting who used it after every word containing a vowel - FACT

David Beckham was famous for always saying " You Know " every few words.... a post match interview would go along the lines of ... " well, you know West Ham were always going to come at us but you know we have the players, you know, to hurt them, you know and you know that you know we always had something in reserve you know to be better than them you know. "

saintquin

Apr 13, 2010
Another one I find strange is when people start a sentence with Yeah no.
I'm sure there are going to be more new ones to annoy in years to come but, I don't understand why because the English language has been evolving since it began!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"To be honest" can give the impression that the person using it generally isn't.

Steve Macmanamanamanaman uses 'To be very honest' a great deal. I think that may be scouse for 'This is the first thing I've said for a while that isn't a total lie'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another one I find strange is when people start a sentence with Yeah no.
I'm sure there are going to be more new ones to annoy in years to come but, I don't understand why because the English language has been evolving since it began!

Yes that's a shitter :lolol:

Something I have noticed creep in during the last 10 years is people reply to a question of the sort 'how was your journey home' with 'yeah....the traffic wasn't too bad'.

Why the 'yeah'? FFS.

(Mrs T does it :facepalm:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here