Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Starting 11 for first match of next season?:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were going on about buying multi-million pound strikers.

But yes, I think we will have to be looking to get in a couple of £30-£40M players in this window to progress, or even to stand still - we do have a lot to attract them. Progressive well run club, lovely stadium, top class training facilities, a lovely area to live in, a manager who is widely respected in the footballing word - and scraping by on £40 or £50K a week (£2M plus a year) is hardly condemning your family to a life of poverty, is it. And although I'm pretty sure we won't burst open our wage structure, we may well increase our maximum wages a bit (need to deal with 'highest earner' clauses though).

I'm not sure that we can satisfy what I assume will be 2 of the key selling points, wages and prospects. I'd imagine players of that calibre will be looking to the likes of Everton, Leics etc where it's not The Alamo week in week out. It must be totally draining and not a lot of satisfaction either.

The only way I see us getting a player for that money is to do what Fulham did and pay £30M for a player worth no more than £10M

We'll have to wait and see ... at least it appears there's a common consensus that we're desperately lacking in MF

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure that we can satisfy what I assume will be 2 of the key selling points, wages and prospects. I'd imagine players of that calibre will be looking to the likes of Everton, Leics etc where it's not The Alamo week in week out. It must be totally draining and not a lot of satisfaction either.

The only way I see us getting a player for that money is to do what Fulham did and pay £30M for a player worth no more than £10M

We'll have to wait and see ... at least it appears there's a common consensus that we're desperately lacking in MF
Surely the whole point of getting in a couple of players like that is so that it won't be like defending the Alamo week in week out. The ball wouldn't nearly always come straight back whenever it was cleared, and the opposition CBs wouldn't be able to spend the match on deck chairs, with an occasional stroll into our penalty area when they get bored..
Completely agree that it's definitely midfield where the recruitment team needs to concentrate their efforts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here