Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Tuesday 4th June​

Sir Keir Starmer v Rishi Sunak (8pm) - ITV1

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 07.44.29.png

I think most people will have already decided who won this, so feel free to post your match report ahead of time if it's more convenient for you.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s all to lose for Starmer tonight.

Does he go with a defensive strategy or go for broke by slam dunking the Prime Minature and trying to increase the majority?

There are so many areas of attack he use but I’m interested in how he is going to dismiss the culture war attacks that seem to only be landing with about 15% of the electorate currently?

Rishi will want to emphasis the following:

1. Labour has no plan.
2. Starmer does not know what a women is.
3. Labour will raise taxes.
4. Labour will give the vote to children.
5. Labour is a woke party.

Will any of these punches land?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m sure the natural bonhomie and relaxed ease with the public of Rishi Sunak will shine through

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's so tough isn't it? Just look at Google when you type in "Labour policies". How is anyone expected to find them?

View attachment 183438
View attachment 183439
Ok these have just been released then I take it .....

Not bad but pie in the sky for the NHS and GP promises..... How are they going to make already worn out doctors and nurses work more hours , they are burnt out.

Private education VAT loophole very random, how can that be a top 10 issue?!

Sorting the railways is something I can get behind.

But would have been nice if they had a pledge to tax the super rich more and/or looked at lowering taxation for the middle classes, moving bands in line with inflation etc.

Last edited:

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Majority of that size is going to be incredibly unhealthy……
As a Tory hater, and very happy for them to lose power, I'm no lover of the current Labour incarnation. I actually hate the idea of such a big majority as Ive seen in our local coucil area what an over confident Labour party behaves like. The state of the Lib Dems is depressing as would be great if they were taking more share and forcing some balance. In fact I think we'd have much better government if there more hung parliaments and sensible power share agreements.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Does he go with a defensive strategy or go for broke by slam dunking the Prime Minature
This got me thinking, the PM is short isn’t he, i checked and it seems he’s 5 ft 7inch’s, then i was was surprised to learn the Starmer is only 5ft 8 inch’s, he looks taller on tv 🤷

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think CON UTD, after several seasons of staying at the top of the League (largely by bending the rules around FFP) are struggling now to stay in the top flight - They could drop out of the League all together imo when they face a massive trial for breach of PSR later in the summer. After months of a toxic dressing room atmosphere and with the finances of the Club in deep water, performances have clearly been affected.

Richy Sunak, who was promoted from Head of Accounting to Head Coach in the 2022/23 season , has failed to turn the team around. The team’s Right Wing still causing problems in the Central Midfield areas - with Braverman out on long term injury and Truss failing to get a start all season, Richie’s team face a difficult task tonight and will be hoping, despite a run of losses, they can change things round and hang onto key players over the summer window.

In Starmer FC, the Blues face a team who came under new management towards the end of the 2021/22 season after years a failing to deal with difficulties on their Left Wing and strategies in Defence. Coach Starmer’s 4,3,3, gives them strong defensive line up at the back but SFC play a risky, high possession system - they could find themselves struggling if Con UTD score early on the counterattack. However with Abbott recently back from a long term ban to boost their back line and with wingers, Rayner and Cooper the breakout players this season providing width and speed, I predict CON UTD will get a trouncing tonight.

It has 422-140 to Starmer FC written all over it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think CON UTD, after several seasons of staying at the top of the League (largely by bending the rules around FFP) are struggling now to stay in the top flight - They could drop out of the League all together imo when they face a massive trial for breach of PSR later in the summer. After months of a toxic dressing room atmosphere and with the finances of the Club in deep water, performances have clearly been affected.

Richy Sunak, who was promoted from Head of Accounting to Head Coach in the 2022/23 season , has failed to turn the team around. The team’s Right Wing still causing problems in the Central Midfield areas - with Braverman out on long term injury and Truss failing to get a start all season, Richie’s team face a difficult task tonight and will be hoping, despite a run of losses, they can change things round and hang onto key players over the summer window.

In Starmer FC, the Blues face a team who came under new management towards the end of the 2021/22 season after years a failing to deal with difficulties on their Left Wing and strategies in Defence. Coach Starmer’s 4,3,3, gives them strong defensive line up at the back but SFC play a risky, high possession system - they could find themselves struggling if Con UTD score early on the counterattack. However with Abbott recently back from a long term ban to boost their back line and with wingers, Rayner and Cooper the breakout players this season providing width and speed, I predict CON UTD will get a trouncing tonight.

It has 422-140 to Starmer FC written all over it.
Are you CON UTD’s version of Swansman/Han Solo?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Majority of that size is going to be incredibly unhealthy……
I know this is quite a common view, but is there any particular connection between how good/bad a government is and the size of its majority?

It doesn't seem to have made a vast amount of difference to how the Conservatives behave whether they had a small majority, no majority or a big majority over the last 10years or so. And it felt like Labour got gradually worse as their majority got smaller (although most governments get worse after 10years or so for all sorts of reasons).

Not sure I can think of any particular cases before that either.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Ok these have just been released then I take it .....

Private education VAT loophole very random, how can that be a top 10 issue?!

Apparently they've calculated that it generates £1.6billion, take away the estimated cost of some private school kids priced out and then going to state school (approx £200/300 million). So a decent chunk of change to employ a few more teachers in state education!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Does he go with a defensive strategy or go for broke by slam dunking the Prime Minature and trying to increase the majority?

There are so many areas of attack he use but I’m interested in how he is going to dismiss the culture war attacks that seem to only be landing with about 15% of the electorate currently?

Rishi will want to emphasis the following:

1. Labour has no plan.
2. Starmer does not know what a women is.
3. Labour will raise taxes.
4. Labour will give the vote to children.
5. Labour is a woke party.

Will any of these punches land?
Sunaks best attack should be to quote Starmers own words and policy ideas from a few years ago and what he now says today. He's flip flopped on pretty much everything, and use that to question if anyone can believe a word he says as his track record shows he never sticks to policy ideas or previous positions.

That would be more effective than simply parroting "he has no plan".

It won't change the grand scheme of events and auto cue Kier won't struggle to find multiple attack vectors on a useless PM nobody voted for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here