Star Wars 7 - don't feck it up, Disney..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm not overly excited by this new one but I'd like to see it. The problem is finding a cinema that isn't rammed with nerds and doesn't reek of teenage jizz and blathering 14 year olds.

You have got the demographic wrong it will be 40 and 50 year old men waiting 32 years for the true follow on after The Return of the Jedi

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You have got the demographic wrong it will be 40 and 50 year old men waiting 32 years for the true follow on after The Return of the Jedi

They will be there too but I think you underestimate the amount that kids are into Star Wars. I had no idea until I visited some friends with kids. They are massively into it. There this whole wider Star Wars universe they are into. It's huge.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Can't wait to see this. Even the music alone sounds enhanced to an awesome level.

Personally I don't dislike the prequels, but I understand why there is much angst about them.
534261 is my preference, and much of the beauty of it all is that many, many disagree... I blogged about it a short while ago:

http://berrylogberry.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/star-wars-uptown-ranking.html

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You have got the demographic wrong it will be 40 and 50 year old men waiting 33 years for the true follow on after The Return of the Jedi

This.

The franchise urgently needed a reboot after they made such an almighty horlicks of the prequels. The dialogue was toe-curlingly bad, the acting appallingly stilted, the characters completely cardboard (or just annoying), the Trade Federation and Senate gobblygook truly stupefying, and they even managed to cheaply bin off the ONE decent and interesting villain they'd created in the entire trilogy (Darth Maul) before he'd really got going.

Now that Disney have got it, I hope to CHRIST that George Lucas has had absolutely MINIMAL input on (a) the script, and (b) the casting. I hope he's been nowhere near it, because whatever it was he had, he clearly lost it completely some time between 1983 and the mid-90's.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looks amazing, and looks like an actual movie, not some cobbled together CGI mess, with me character development or plot.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am a somewhat sneerer over the over-popular, and I shouldn't be. I don't feel the Star Wars hook, but that isn't to say that others shouldn't. Alright, at present, I feel a bit bebothered by about 27% of adverts having a ruddy Bond reference, and might well again in the next few weeks with excessive Star Wars paraphernalia up for grabs, but I wouldn't like a world filled of snobby inferiority complexed bigheads like I - probably mainly because of the deafeningness of our collective huffery and cocky sniggering and for having to tackle so many more of my type to get tickets for things. I'll see the film within its first few days of release, I'd say, or over Christmas, and it'll probably be fun.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not overly excited by this new one but I'd like to see it. The problem is finding a cinema that isn't rammed with nerds and doesn't reek of teenage jizz and blathering 14 year olds.

Once its released give it a couple of days and go to the Duke of Yorks. Get a balcony seat. Bliss.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Now that Disney have got it, I hope to CHRIST that George Lucas has had absolutely MINIMAL input on (a) the script, and (b) the casting. I hope he's been nowhere near it, because whatever it was he had, he clearly lost it completely some time between 1983 and the mid-90's.

He was involved as a "consultant"...but barely had any involvement from what I heard. I read an interview with Kathleen Kennedy who said he was finding it incredibly hard to let go of the Star Wars Universe, but my understanding is that he has been kept well away from anything!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was involved as a "consultant"...but barely had any involvement from what I heard. I read an interview with Kathleen Kennedy who said he was finding it incredibly hard to let go of the Star Wars Universe, but my understanding is that he has been kept well away from anything!

That's very reassuring.

Lets face it, this film could be a complete TURKEY and it'll still be the biggest grossing film of all time. Its inevitable. However, I hope that now they've had the benefit of seeing exactly how NOT to do it, that they have used that knowledge to give us something amazing this time. Something worthy.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd heard George had made some suggetions re plot, which were all rejected :)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lucas did the screenplay for ij and the kingdom of the cs

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lukas sold all rights to Disney for about £ 2 billion so he can do one

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'd heard George had made some suggetions re plot, which were all rejected :)
Also what I'd read in a book I was reading recently and that George was looking forward to being able to watch a Star Wars film as an 'outsider'.

Got my tickets anyway (athough not for opening day :) )

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
They won't **** it up. Disney are far too clever to not understand what makes money, they just need to make sure that Star Wars is good enough that it justifies making more movies.

the behind the scenes trailer they've made is really telling of what they're doing. The prequels got a lot of criticism because of how much green screen and CGI was used in them. JJ Abrams has done a U-turn and gone back to Practical effects and animatronics. This isn't a bad thing, as its one of the reasons why the original Star Wars movies were great.

I guess I'm just worried about another Indiana Jones like scenario where beloved characters just wont be the same. Luke might do alright because he could just become a new wise Obi Wan like character, but Han Solo might just come off as a confused old man who still hangs around with the princess who looked hot in that Slave Bikini thirty years ago.

Still, excited for Ridley and Boyega, they look promising and I think they'll do a grand job as the new heroes.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Got my tickets for Mrs Oscar, mini-Oscar and myself for the afternoon of the 17th in glorious iMax 3D. Can't wait as I'm sure at least this one of all the new Star Wars films planned is going to be good.

The only downside is having to go to Crawley to see it. Surely it's about time Brighton got a decent new cinema with iMax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports