Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Star Trek or Star Wars

Star Trek or Star Wars?

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Star Wars was and is magical. I was lucky to see them from the beginning in the cinema. The first three were as good it gets … the personalities including the droids, special effects, scary element, you lose yourself.

Star Trek on TV before that in the 70’s was really good.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Another Treckie, have no idea about Star Wars now.
I watched the first 5 or so and then it just lost it for me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Star Wars was and is magical. I was lucky to see them from the beginning in the cinema. The first three were as good it gets … the personalities including the droids, special effects, scary element, you lose yourself.

Me too (I think), I definitely remember being taken to Leicester Square to see the Empire Strikes back so I can only presume I watched the other originals at the cinema too, probably Tunbridge Wells.

Basically "westerns in space" but everything after completely ruins it. I was never into the spiritual / fantasy element of Star Wars anyway.

I enjoyed the early Star Trek movies because they were based on a reality of a future. Star Wars has always had this parallel universe / 4th dimension element which I've never really taken to.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Trek, but DS9 was my favourite

The Dominion Wars seasons in DS9 were, and still are, some of the best sci-fi to have graced the screen. I was gripped!

As to the big question. I actually like them both, thoroughly enjoying all the recent Star Wars spin offs on Disney+, and still happily watch the Original, TNG, Voyager and DS9.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Me too (I think), I definitely remember being taken to Leicester Square to see the Empire Strikes back so I can only presume I watched the other originals at the cinema too, probably Tunbridge Wells.

Basically "westerns in space" but everything after completely ruins it. I was never into the spiritual / fantasy element of Star Wars anyway.

I enjoyed the early Star Trek movies because they were based on a reality of a future. Star Wars has always had this parallel universe / 4th dimension element which I've never really taken to.

Obviously a personal thing. I can be taken to other (impossible?) worlds and immerse myself. Harry Potter too, amazing.

Probably starting with Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, my joint first childhood movie.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Star Trek star Next Generation was brilliant, it still holds up today. With Star Wars the original 3 films were good after that it was awful imo.
The shows Star Trek spawned were good as well. shows like Babylon 5, Star Trek deep space. I've never enjoyed the Hollywood Star Trek films though.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Star wars just for DS9. Garak is my favourite
"You'd shoot a man in the back?"
"Well it's the safest way, isn't it?"

Trek - Star Wars is for kids, grow up FFS

Did Star Trek get cancelled after the 3rd series?

Or did they quit whilst they were ahead?
Cancelled - it wasn’t killing it in the ratings

Third season a bit of a curates egg, was probs due a rest so it could come back bigger and better

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I prefer Star Man!

1712472594664.jpeg

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Did Star Trek get cancelled after the 3rd series?

Or did they quit whilst they were ahead?
It was cancelled after season 3. Reasons are complex, however, it was expensive to produce and the ratings were good - but not high enough for NBC. This was in the days before demographics and the producers didn't appreciate how popular it was with the key 18-34 group.

For season 3, the shows budget was slashed and it was shoved out to a graveyard time slot (Friday night 22:00 EST). Its cancellation became almost a self fulfilling prophecy. The quality is inconsistent. Some gems like 'The Tholian Web' and 'All our yesterdays'. Some ludicrous pish like 'Spock's brain' and downright weird: "The way to Eden', 'Plato's Stepchildren'.

It thrived in syndication, spawned the movie series and eventually, the excellent (imo) The Next Generation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here