Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Staplefield Cricket Club - Need YOUR Help....Please Sign

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Done ....

Played there several times between 1988 and 2001 - always was a happy hunting ground for me.
Just looked at my playing notes - Ave 68 with the bat in 6 innings and took 17 scalps @ 8.4 with the ball on your green ......

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Thanks everyone for your support today. about 420 signatures in little over a day. Hopefully some good will come of it.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Done. Never played at Staplefield, but played for Rodmell, village cricket at its best for 25 years. Village cricket is the heartbeat of rural life.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Council tax, revenue from chargeable services and central government grants pay for all local councils at from county/city down to parish.

If money can be clawed back from non essential services to fund essential ones then that's what councils need to do.

I really think getting the community and business involved I'd the way forward to fund this situation.

If you want to support a needy cause, how about petitioning to prevent the closure of 4 children's centres in Brighton and Hove.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
My brother played for Wallington CC.

In fact even I GRACED your ground, for your 6-a-side.
I've also played several times at Wallington for Caterham CC. Good ground and club house / bar.

Back to Staplefield CC, I have every sympathy, we had the same issues at Caterham CC with the Council, cash is in short supply with the local authorities and they need to get increased funds from all users. The cricket club run a tea shop on behalf of the council to keep playing costs down.

I'm sure the ECB or County won't be able to assist and really you will need to raise all funds internally or from local business. Advertising and sponsorship is great as you will gain funds from outside the club, lots of little things like match ball sponsors, fixture card sponsors, shirt sponsor (we got £1k per annum).

It makes me sad to see so many clubs struggling or going to the wall, sometimes the only way forward is by merging with another club and gain increased membership, the only problem with this is keeping your own clubs identity.

Good luck Staplefield CC

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Done. I played there many times for Crawley Colts and was one of my favourite grounds. I think I hit my first ever six there, unsurprisingly!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Signed
Have you thought of advertising banners around your ground. We did this successfully at Wallington CC. Banners cost in the region of £60 and we charged £200 for the season. They also brightened up the place! Also with 20 members its tough but try a 40 club. £5 each member paid by Standing Order each month nets £100. £50 to club funds and £50 to the winner. Will net you £600 each year and the prospect of members buying more than one set of numbers? Also, try a good old fashioned jumble sale, we raised £250 doing one which was a lot of hard work but also a lot of fun.
Longer term I think you should look at lottery funding to buy equipment and send a few members on courses. We bought an old Volvo estate for £80 at a car auction and picked up some second hand gang mowers for £200 and they lasted for years before we had the money to buy a proper outfield mower.

A Race Night is also a good money spinner. Sell horses £10 each, eight horses each race = £80 per race x 8 races =£480 less £240 prize money. Get sponsors for each race at £30 a race = £240.Less £120 prize money. Then you have the betting on the night which usually brings in another £300 or so. Race night firms run the night for you and charge in the region of £200. You can even auction the horses for the last race which brings in a bit extra. You can easily raise £800 - £1000 with a bit of hard work with a Race Night.

Thanks

We do Race Nights every year as part of our presentation night, the club does well considering it only has 2 sides, our outgoings per season are just shy of £4k and that is all raised by Match Fees and fund raising amongst 15 to 20 hardy soles.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
551 signatures now which is great.

The council have heard about it and called a meeting for later in the week.
Fingers crossed.

thanks for everyone's support

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here