Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stanmer Secondary/Falmer High

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Graham Nye (Maths teacher and school Heathcliff-a-like) took me and my friend Lorraine Callow to a Brighton/Palace game at Selhurst, with another teacher (Dave Beresford?) Not sure it would be allowed these days.

Also remember Mr Crossley-Holland (History), Mrs Plumley (English - loathed with a passion) and Mrs Malkin (German - harsh but fair).

Dave Beresford...wanst he the ginger pe teacher? Mrs malkin was really great...when the Mrs and I were first courting, we used to sit and chat ( yes we did ) in the little room next to the 6th Form common room as she wasnt allowed in there, and Mrs malking would patrol and we were the only ones she wouldnt throw out of the room. aaah!

Crossley -Holland....blimey there is a blast from the past

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for the memories.

Carefree days from 67 to 74, at Westlain and the 1st year of Falmer.

Has anybody mentioned Mr Rutherford, Dr Ewells Mr Spellman or Mr Matthews (Uncle Matt of PE who was rumoured to have a thing with Miss Teppitt)?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Thanks for the memories.

Has anybody mentioned Mr Rutherford, Dr Ewells Mr Spellman or Mr Matthews (Uncle Matt of PE who was rumoured to have a thing with Miss Teppitt)?

I'd forgotten Mr Rutherford but a quick story about him. Many years after leaving I was on the cross-channel ferry to Dieppe and happened to visit the urinal. I was conscious of someone next to me when a voice said "Hello Brown". I looked and meekly said "Hello Mr Rutherford" We passed the time of day for a couple of minutes and that was the last time I saw him.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I imagine quite a few of these teachers have long left this Earth.

Actually, I spoke to somebody in the Middle East a few years back and his name was Gloyn. Yes, his dad was Mr Gloyn, a language teacher at Westlain. he was still alive when I had this phone call and in his 80's.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for the memories.

Uncle Matt did indeed have a thing with Miss Tippett, I believe it started whilst on a skiing trip they took us on, along with Mr Sears (although it wasn't a threesome!) Unfortunately, a year or so later Uncle Matt died of a heart attack whilst on another holiday with her.

I also remember Mr & Mrs Goldsmith, he of the amazing comb over and she of the sexy figure & short skirts who knew exactly what affect they had on her young male chemistry students!

There was also the v. strict history teacher Miss Ritson.

We had Mr Adkins for RE and Nobby Clark for physics. They both were stalwarts of the Channel Islands camping holidays and in the summer holidays at the end of the second year we wildly cheered on England to victory in the World cup semi-final & final, watching a television in a harbourside cafe in St. Sampsons bay in Guernsey.

Happy, happy days:smile:

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
91-96

I loved Falmer... I won't have a bad word said about the teaching and place itself as I've done alright.

As a memory...

Mr Schildkamp sent me off after 2 minutes in the inter-form football final... in 1994.

Slightly shameful as my mum and stepdad had taken the afternoon off to come and watch :s

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
91-96

I loved Falmer... I won't have a bad word said about the teaching and place itself as I've done alright.

As a memory...

Mr Schildkamp sent me off after 2 minutes in the inter-form football final... in 1994.

Slightly shameful as my mum and stepdad had taken the afternoon off to come and watch :s

I think I was there 91-96 so might of been in the same year as you.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Doesn't ring a bell...

When did you finish? What teachers do you remember?

Actually, I think I was there 92-97.

As for teachers:

Mr Bloor - Maths?
Mr Clayton - Science
Mr Spicer - History?
Mr Cunliffe - Art
Mrs Lord - English?

I can picture a lot of the teachers faces but can no longer remember their names! Have great memories from the place.

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
Haha... that's funny. Yeah I must have been in the year above you.

Clayton yes... with his ruler
Spicer yes... with him and Strickland I set up a year fantasy football league!
Cunliffe yes... strange man
Miss Lord... taught me a lot of what I know now :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here