Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Standing up at football

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
How thoughtful of you to give so much consideration to those in seats behind you who are not able to stand for an entire match. My wife and I have been supporting the Albion for thirty years having season tickets at the Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and now.

Until recently we went to most away matches. We now go to few unless we can be assured of a seat near the front because those who could see perfectly well if sitting, for some reason think it more important that they stand than that we can watch the match. I would prefer all away seating to be unreserved so that those who wish to stand take the rear seats, and those who wish to sit can be at the front.

I am all for safe standing, but until it is introduced, please consider those unable to stand for 90 minutes, or indeed those only 5ft tall who cannot see over a 6ft man when standing
I hear ya, but I stand on the back row of north so there's no one behind me, just saying[emoji106] [emoji111]

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
How thoughtful of you to give so much consideration to those in seats behind you who are not able to stand for an entire match. My wife and I have been supporting the Albion for thirty years having season tickets at the Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and now.

Until recently we went to most away matches. We now go to few unless we can be assured of a seat near the front because those who could see perfectly well if sitting, for some reason think it more important that they stand than that we can watch the match. I would prefer all away seating to be unreserved so that those who wish to stand take the rear seats, and those who wish to sit can be at the front.

I am all for safe standing, but until it is introduced, please consider those unable to stand for 90 minutes, or indeed those only 5ft tall who cannot see over a 6ft man when standing

Best way to get seats at the front is either book via the phone or actually in person at the ticket office, you'll notice at away games that Liz Costa and her friends always have front row seats so it can be arranged

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Best way to get seats at the front is either book via the phone or actually in person at the ticket office, you'll notice at away games that Liz Costa and her friends always have front row seats so it can be arranged

Only because she has as sense of entitlement and is able to dictate where she sits, us mere mortals don't have that luxury, we get stuck behind inconsiderate people like you.
So we don't go. Our away support would be so much greater if they accommodated guaranteed seating in an all seater ground.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Of course, this isn't an issue till the North Stand is full to capacity every week with standing fans. Until that time, the club knows there is insufficient demand for further standing capacity.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Only because she has as sense of entitlement and is able to dictate where she sits, us mere mortals don't have that luxury, we get stuck behind inconsiderate people like you.
So we don't go. Our away support would be so much greater if they accommodated guaranteed seating in an all seater ground.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Just call the ticket office, and ask for a seat at the front, and you'll get one. That's presumably what Liz Costa does, and what anybody else could do, too.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, but this is nonsense. Just call the ticket office, and ask for a seat at the front, and you'll get one. That's presumably what Liz Costa does, and what anybody else could do, too.

That not correct, my father was the longest serving employee at the club until last year and they could not even guarantee him seating at the front for away games, he has a life seat at the amex so is not a problem at home, At 88 he just can't stand that long any more so he don't go away anymore They get issued/sold in order, you can't pick and chose in the same way you cant specify you want then at the back so you can stand.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Newport League Cup tie is the only game I have ever sat down at & that was because the North Stand was almost empty. Every other game I have stood for the duration.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006

I wouldn't say that I was inconsiderate at all, you'll find that at the number of games I attend that I will always stand towards the back of the stand and will be one of the few fans who start chants and try to get the atmosphere going, regardless of the ticket that I have been allocated. If people behind wanted to sit, then myself and my mates would move further back rather than inconvenience them.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I wouldn't say that I was inconsiderate at all, you'll find that at the number of games I attend that I will always stand towards the back of the stand and will be one of the few fans who start chants and try to get the atmosphere going, regardless of the ticket that I have been allocated. If people behind wanted to sit, then myself and my mates would move further back rather than inconvenience them.
For away games I think this is my point, if seating is unallocated there shouldn't be a problem as most will behave as you do. It is when we are told to sit in our numbered seat that the problem arises. I believe that the official stand capacity has to be reduced if allocated seating is not adopted, so for popular matches clubs won't permit it.

As for requesting seats near the front, the Club are very good at selecting those when they can. Many clubs now allow our ticket office to select seats online, and generally that does work reasonably well. For popular matches, seats are often released in batches so there is less control over subsequent sales.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Game after game I see on TV large sections of the ground stand up, away fans stand up at the Amex. Why can't we do this ?

When you say "WE" I am in Upper West and I don't want to stand up. And I don't want people in front of me standing either. I'm all in favour of safe standing in certain parts of the ground but I don't think you have thought your opening statement through ( and yes we both know this subject has been covered about 100 times before on NSC)

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Excitement gets most fans on their feet. Why on earth would anybody want to go back to the days of terracing. I for one don't miss being pushed, crushed and only have a view of 50% of the pitch.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Excitement gets most fans on their feet. Why on earth would anybody want to go back to the days of terracing. I for one don't miss being pushed, crushed and only have a view of 50% of the pitch.

I don't think I miss it either, but if I was 20 I'd love to go through it all again.

All for safe standing areas.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Some away clubs do allow you to choose your seats, but when we can't, then we ask a steward, on arrival, if there are spare seats near the front, if we can move. As other fans generally prefer to stand nearer the back, it works out.
It's nothing to do with a sense of entitlement, but age and medical issues.

I support safe standing. Let there be a choice.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think the case has been made over and over for safe standing / unallocated seating fort hose that wish to stand. But Barber has consistently refused to associate the club with the Safe Standing campaign. To be fair, however, there has been a vast improvement in North Stand stewarding this season; they seem to have given up making anybody sit in the NS and that's how it should be.

As to away games, I don't go to them all but there is usually a lot of space at the front of our allocation for those that wish to sit (as we always seem to gravitate towards the back of the stand). Ask the club to ensure that you are allocated a ticket at the front or ask a steward to seat you where your view won't be obstructed.

Trying to sit in your "allocated seat" at an away game just isn't going to happen!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north

This is exactly the kind of terraces I DO want back.... massive goal surges, swaying etc.

Football now is absolute shithouse in comparison. even safe standing, albeit an improvement over the soulless all seater ground, will still be shit compared to a packed terrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here