Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stand or Fall

Mobilising the fans won't reverse the result or change the decisions. The game has finished. But the season is far from over.

What if we stop playing the victim, and look at it as an opportunity? The Spurs game is over, but the next game is ours to win. Whether it was corruption or a series of terrible mistakes, the sheer injustice, the travesty, could be a blessing in disguise. I believe we will see a response on the pitch from RDZ. What if he uses it as an extra motivation to his players by imbuing a siege mentality among them?

Harnessed in the right way, this whole shitshow could be the making of us, giving us a togetherness and a whole new level of steel, that we need to kick on and establish ourselves as a true top six club.

Look forwards. Not back.
This! But, also agree with large baners and chanting. Just as long as they arent shit like the Palace ones and Ipswich for that matter.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Folk need to be very careful with some of their statements. Although it could help the cause. The amount of libellous statements and claims being made at the moment would probably be enough to retire some of our villains already after a big pay day.

Bad decisions are not evidence of corruption, especially as they have been shown to affect all teams. Are referees affected by home crowds sometimes ? Yes. We know that. Some have even said in the past that it can sub consciously get to them. But corruption ? No evidence. Betting syndicates ? That is libellous.

I don't want VAR to go. Mainly because if it did decisions would still be scrutinised in the same way and it would be carnage. Most decisions it gets right, but far too many not. And this is frustrating because it is not serving the purpose it should. That needs to change.

It may have cost Albion one or two points yesterday. But it doesn't mean it's corrupt.
Don't worry. I'm quite sure if the PGMOL took us to court they would turn up at the wrong one, sue the wrong people and overturn the decision anyway.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Tony Bloom literally owns a company (or not officially) that helps spot match fixing / illegal betting patterns…
Yes, he does but the EPL has the highest sports betting volumes of any day to day sports betting. That's why it is such a great market for the betting syndicates; they can bet hundreds of thousands on the match result and match total goals markets without noticeably moving the needle. They have previously targeted snooker, tennis andcricket but unusual betting patterns are much more identifiable. Bloom's company is contracted by La Liga and several other leagues to identify potential corrupt markets but is not contracted by the EPL to do so.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Folk need to be very careful with some of their statements. Although it could help the cause. The amount of libellous statements and claims being made at the moment would probably be enough to retire some of our villains already after a big pay day.

Bad decisions are not evidence of corruption, especially as they have been shown to affect all teams. Are referees affected by home crowds sometimes ? Yes. We know that. Some have even said in the past that it can sub consciously get to them. But corruption ? No evidence. Betting syndicates ? That is libellous.

I don't want VAR to go. Mainly because if it did decisions would still be scrutinised in the same way and it would be carnage. Most decisions it gets right, but far too many not. And this is frustrating because it is not serving the purpose it should. That needs to change.

It may have cost Albion one or two points yesterday. But it doesn't mean it's corrupt.
It also doesn't mean it's not corrupt. As I've said many times, betting syndicates have targeted tennis, snooker and cricket. EPL football markets have the highest betting volumes in the world. It's very naive to say they wouldn't target the EPL. Bribing officials is much, much more effective than bribing players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What a silly, silly, silly thread.

Ultras in Italy have been doing this sort of thing for years and it's all for show. Some Tifo here and there, banners, the odd turning up somewhere they're not wanted and making a noise and nothing has changed. You think football's corrupt here? It's not a patch on Italy. Yeah, get out the hi viz, make a banner that Paul Barber wouldn't let in the ground and that wouldn't get shown if it was and become the enemy of PGMOL and every single ref who would then have a legit reason for their uselessness / corruption.

I suspect what's actually needed is pressure on these organisations from within and to the side from a respected leader. Someone indefatigable, who always seems to have the answer, who could produce actual evidence, give it to the correct person and answer any email pushing back on it in great detail, even at 11 at night, with some actual facts, and maybe some betting data and ref stats. Can you think of a couple of people who might be up to the job?

Meanwhile.....

Paid shill.

This is borderline libellous. Be careful how you reply to people who disagree with you.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How about reading the several apologies we have had from PGMOL out over the PA just before the refs and teams walk out at all remaining home games ,or a montage of all the shit decisions, and all the commentators reactions of disbelief?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
What a silly, silly, silly thread.

Ultras in Italy have been doing this sort of thing for years and it's all for show. Some Tifo here and there, banners, the odd turning up somewhere they're not wanted and making a noise and nothing has changed. You think football's corrupt here? It's not a patch on Italy. Yeah, get out the hi viz, make a banner that Paul Barber wouldn't let in the ground and that wouldn't get shown if it was and become the enemy of PGMOL and every single ref who would then have a legit reason for their uselessness / corruption.

I suspect what's actually needed is pressure on these organisations from within and to the side from a respected leader. Someone indefatigable, who always seems to have the answer, who could produce actual evidence, give it to the correct person and answer any email pushing back on it in great detail, even at 11 at night, with some actual facts, and maybe some betting data and ref stats. Can you think of a couple of people who might be up to the job?

Meanwhile.....

This is borderline libellous. Be careful how you reply to people who disagree with you.
I agree with you on what's needed. Bear in mind that EPL worldwide betting volumes are huge, much higher than tennis snooker or cricket, so large volumes on specific match results would not be easily flagged up. There's a reason why the EPL is such an obvious target for corrupt betting activities.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

I was thinking the same thing with some of the statements I was reading on NSC. Yes everyone is very angry, me especially but guys . . . please be careful what you put on social media.
Edit: I sound like Bozza now. o_O

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I do agree that action needs to be taken to ensure the standard of refereeing in England is at least competent; ironically because we are currently the major victims of incorrigible decisions, in the court of sympathetic public opinion, we are least qualified to speak out. It really does require some internal arbitration at the highest level.

@Neville's Breakfast's comment that the Premier League was created to serve the interests of the big 6/7 and that all the other 13 teams are intended merely to be 'cannon fodder' for them strikes a chord with me, and like him/her, I have little faith in anything changing soon, including the endless pundit speculation/ recommendation about which of our best players should go to which of the 'big 6/7' and sadly I think the vast majority of overseas supporters of the PL feel that a handful of big clubs gives them all the choice they want in terms of armchair fandom.

As regards refereeing.... someone once said the problem with referees is that they really don't care who wins.... I am not even sure of that any more!

I hope that this is not too incendiary; it comes from the heart more than from the head and so may well seem libellous...

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Let's just say the top seven this season, in order, is Arsenal, Man City, Newcastle, Brighton, Man U, Villa, Tottenham. Spurs in the Conference League and Liverpool and Chelsea not in Europe at all. And these are three clubs who wanted to break away into an ESL. Might make a closed shop more attractive again?

I imagine that's the sort of things that keeps top Premier League officials awake at night. If that was my job it would do.

And it's much less likely after yesterday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How about reading the several apologies we have had from PGMOL out over the PA just before the refs and teams walk out at all remaining home games ,or a montage of all the shit decisions, and all the commentators reactions of disbelief?
I quite like the sound of that!

Nicks

My worry is that with all this current incompetence with VAR and the probability of missing out on a top 4 place and with RDZ currently on top of the shit list for getting booked etc he may decide to go back abroad to manage .

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It won't make any difference now. Attwell has probably already cashed the cheque.

My worry is what injustice is going to be done next Saturday at Chelsea? Maybe the PGMOL should just get the apology in now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My worry is that with all this current incompetence with VAR and the probability of missing out on a top 4 place and with RDZ currently on top of the shit list for getting booked etc he may decide to go back abroad to manage .

Italy is home, no? Serie A is a lot worse for corruption, no?

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
Whatever we do ain't going to give us a point or 3 back. But as way of protest maybe the club should not bother to put the Premier league arch thing out before kickoff or leave it face down on turf when teams come out at next home live televised league game v Utd on May 4th. Sod the fine...at least it makes a point and state why we are doing it all over the media prior to game. That game will be going live to quite a few countries!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This is what should be happening. Not the gilet jaunes

I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, so can't read the actual content of the article, but based on the tweet and first few paragraphs I think it'd carry more weight if we (the club) questioned the quality of refereeing in general, rather than just the (infuriating and blatantly incorrect) decisions against us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We need to mobilise.

The question is, do we still have fans with hot blood and big balls who will actually step up?
So you're wanting a group of fans to break the law and enact their own justice?

It takes one or two equally angry people - with clout - in our fan community to arrange a protest. Film the protest. Spam social media so that people are forced to pay attention.

Oh, you want a protest.

Well I don't think it will help, but I do support you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here