Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stand or fall? Pah! The night Brighton & Hove Albion simply didn't bother

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m happy to sacrifice cup runs to stay up, let’s see how Villa do now they’ve got one eye on a final.

They do seem vary capable of digging deep, playing for 90mins and scoring late late goals, but they are still below us at the moment......

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Churlish if not shared. Three major trophies for most clubs each season. Our history in this cup competition is nothing short of embarrassing. Forget winning for a moment, let’s aim to make the QF once every 120 years first!

It’s not quite that bad as the League Cup started in 1960, so it is a record of one QF every 60 years which we are trying to maintain.

Who were the first winners of the League Cup? :whistle:

They obviously quite like that pot.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A pitch invasion for a club of their reputed size is embarrassing for winning the semi final of the competition that comes a distant third in every clubs priorities and in which they’ve beaten 3 youth teams along the way, but then they had a pitch invasion when they won an FA cup quarter final and a play off semi final so I’m not surprised.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
To be fair to that new breed of fan they have been led to believe by the owner and the club CEO that everything is in place to be a top club in the Premier League
Only this season the chairman has told the world that a top ten club is now the ambition, I didn’t realise that he meant in the Championship and like many who are new breed he raised the expectations of the fans. So what do you expect?

There is no such thing as a ' top ten club ' in the PL. That expectation is reserved for six clubs and only six clubs. The rest, whoever they are, are in a fluid division that sees teams excelling and overachieving one season and then fighting relegation the next. It would have been better to say that ' we want to be one of the better bottom ten clubs ' because that is our realistic target.
To aspire to anything higher takes a lot of money, high class management and the acquisition of at least one ' game changer ' ( a player covetted and admired by other clubs, valued at more than £50m and capable of turning games with moments of brilliance ) It needs regular goalscorers and it needs good quality defenders.
PL history shows that as soon as a team and its fans think they have become established, after a number of seasons, the wheels start to come off and relegation follows pretty quickly. We have seen it with Charlton, Bolton, Blackburn, Swansea and Stoke. These teams were relatively comfortable season after season but then their time ran out, just as surely as ours will.
There is such a fine margin between keeping your head above water and not and that is why the percentages always dictate that most clubs will have a fairly brief stay. Only 6 clubs have participated in every season ( not Man City ) and 49 different clubs have played at least one season ( 53% of the whole pyramid ) We have to manage expectation and when our time in the sun runs out, we have to make sure that we are properly equipped to challenge to get back again.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I sill feel we put out the correct side, and shall continue to attend cup games to support BHA, whoever sports the jersey.

As for Villa, look forward to them getting tonked by the Oil boys.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not about respecting a competition. It's more about self-respect. Trying to win something to fill this, instead of simply rolling over. And about respecting ALL of the fans who paid/travelled, of course.

View attachment 119565

I know the point you’re trying to make, but I felt the FA cup run last season was detrimental to our relegation battle. As people are keen to point out, Cardiff failed rather than us succeeding.

Being pedantic, we have lots of trophies in our cabinet. I’ve seen them Div 2 champions, Div 1 champions, Play Off winners, League 1 champions, Div 3 South champions.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I know the point you’re trying to make, but I felt the FA cup run last season was detrimental to our relegation battle. As people are keen to point out, Cardiff failed rather than us succeeding.

Being pedantic, we have lots of trophies in our cabinet. I’ve seen them Div 2 champions, Div 1 champions, Play Off winners, League 1 champions, Div 3 South champions.

No fourth division trophy, has that been pawned off by Archer?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I’m happy to sacrifice cup runs to stay up, let’s see how Villa do now they’ve got one eye on a final.

They do seem vary capable of digging deep, playing for 90mins and scoring late late goals, but they are still below us at the moment......

Scoring late goals is usually a sign of team spirit and inner belief. It can also indicate good levels of mental and physical fitness. We do not have a very good record of scoring late but I don't think our players necessarily lack belief or self confidence. So that leaves fitness levels. At present we seem very good at putting together 25-30 minute spells of dominance, then going off the boil, before taking time to gather ourselves again for a late push ( sometimes too late ) We lack the cutting edge to put teams away, as demonstrated by Arsenal, who dominated Bournemouth as we did but unlike us, converted chances and won.
I am a bit worried about Villa. They seem to have the bit between their teeth and momentum and a game changer in Grealish ( something we lack as a side )

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Scoring late goals is usually a sign of team spirit and inner belief. It can also indicate good levels of mental and physical fitness. We do not have a very good record of scoring late but I don't think our players necessarily lack belief or self confidence. So that leaves fitness levels. At present we seem very good at putting together 25-30 minute spells of dominance, then going off the boil, before taking time to gather ourselves again for a late push ( sometimes too late ) We lack the cutting edge to put teams away, as demonstrated by Arsenal, who dominated Bournemouth as we did but unlike us, converted chances and won.
I am a bit worried about Villa. They seem to have the bit between their teeth and momentum and a game changer in Grealish ( something we lack as a side )

And still strengthening in this window

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

As you and others seem concerned about current form, maybe you should be aware that 3 of the 5 teams below us have worse current form. Keep it that way and we will be safe! Not pretty, but true...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I agree, I think Villa have more than enough about them to stay up, especially with Grealish and expect them to finish well clear of us on current form. Let’s hope Cup euphoria leads to more lack lustre league performances, although I doubt it.

Not being able to finish teams off, or at least get a decent cushion when we are so on top is indeed a worry and seems to be a recurring pattern. We are vulnerable early in the second half and late in the game. Potter is definitely struggling like the team coming to terms with what is turning out to be a worrying trend of not being able to put in a 95 minute performance

Maybe it’s just a bit of tweaking or finding a goal scorer in the next two days or a combination of both.

I have loved this season but I am getting very twitchy about the next two games. Currently we are very definitely in the mix and the team in the joint worst form at the bottom apart from Bournemouth and West Ham. Bournemouth beat us, let’s see what happens with West Ham who are in only marginally worse form than us.

Last edited:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
T
As you and others seem concerned about current form, maybe you should be aware that 3 of the 5 teams below us have worse current form. Keep it that way and we will be safe! Not pretty, but true...

One of them on goal difference only, the other two just one point behind us, of which one of those teams just beat us and the other could do the same this weekend. I wished I could have your confidence

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We lack the cutting edge to put teams away, as demonstrated by Arsenal, who dominated Bournemouth as we did but unlike us, converted chances and won.

And also demonstrated by Brighton who dominated Arsenal, converted their chances, scored late in the 84th minute and won away from home - only a few weeks ago.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And also demonstrated by Brighton who dominated Arsenal, converted their chances, scored late in the 84th minute and won away from home - only a few weeks ago.

Welcome back Chailey, we have missed your reasoned optimism :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yep, I'm still annoyed about September 25.

No guts, no glory.

Aston Villa

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1222281791173730315

[tweet]1222281791173730315[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1222272346846875648

[tweet]1222272346846875648[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1222273461227311104

[tweet]1222273461227311104[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/K_Gabothokwe/status/1222274311731453958

[tweet]1222274311731453958[/tweet]

Brighton & Hove Albion

View attachment 119564

The team reflect the powder puffness of our crowd.

Time for us to step up and start singing Stand or Fall like it bloody matters.

We are a bunch of wet whingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here