Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stan Bowles story

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
I was told about a match against QPR when Stan Bowles the notorious gambler got one of the Albion backroom staff to go up and put a very big bet on a horse at 3.20pm . The person walked up to the betting shop before 3 pm and placed the bet. At halftime the person went back up and the horse had won and very early in the 2nd half Stan asked how the horse had done and after learning it had won promptly fell over wrything in pain at the next tackle and was taken off.
He got his winnings from the person that laid the bet and asked him to call a taxi and even before the end of the match he was on his way to a greyhound meeting in London. Dont know what year it was though

D

Deleted member 2719

I have heard the same story before, but i can't remember where.................maybe i read it.....maybe a QPR fan i was working with once told me, he was mates with 'Tosh' Chamberlain and had many stories of footballers.

??????

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Its in his book. Its a brilliant read too! Really funny bit about superstars when Kevin Keegan fell off the bike and Bowles nearly drowned in the kayaking....

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
His referees story:

" When I was playing you’d get referees that if you swore at them they would swear back and just get on with it. I once asked a referee, ‘What would you do if I said you were a ****?’
’Obviously,’ he said, ‘I’d have to send you off straightaway.’
‘What would you do if I thought you were a ****?’
‘I wouldn’t be able to do anything about that.’
‘Well, I think you’re a ****!’ "

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
783ed48c-ac69-46b6-b266-d5db2c33ecd6.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasted talent.

I wonder how he might have fared under a modern coach.

All the recent car crashes are lads with nightmare childhoods, or endogenous depression, or both. Other stuff (fondness for betting and sauce) stands a better chance of fixability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here