[Albion] Stadium Access Cards 23/24

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes it’s nothing to do with using it or anything - he just doesn’t want one or see the need. Absolute respect to him from me for it. Never had one before, got a house phone, doesn’t see a need to have one. Absolutely personal choice.
My Dad’s 85 and just about gets along with a basic non-smart mobile, with lots of cock ups, my 83 year old Mum would loath one.

People need to show a bit of tolerance here.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My Dad’s 85 and just about gets along with a basic non-smart mobile, with lots of cock ups, my 83 year old Mum would loath one.

Yeh sorry that post seemed to hit a nerve and genuinely make me angry. Peoples lack of understanding & jumping to the complete wrong conclusions behind a keyboard are hugely annoying though. So easy to just be throw away judgemental. Maybe I’m over protective of my parents as they’re getting older. But still, genuinely still pissed off now with that post. Oh well, bedtime and chill 👍

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
WOW!!
“Taking the piss” :facepalm: You make it sound like it’s compulsory for an OAP to own one.😬
Glad it wasn’t just me who was taken aback by that bizarre post 🤷🏻‍♂️

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a lot of arrogance from many insisting everyone has suitable smart phone. apart from the fact many simply dont need or want one for day to day life, you have to have fairly recent one to run the apps.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
a lot of arrogance from many insisting everyone has suitable smart phone. apart from the fact many simply dont need or want one for day to day life, you have to have fairly recent one to run the apps.
Welk here's definitely some disengenuous stuff on this thread from those that like to stir it or kick up a fuss. But Smartphone ownership is now pretty universal except in small groups, especially the old - but even there its stereotypical to argue that they too don't own and use smartphones in very high numbers. And this is not the whole population, this is the subset that can afford a yearly season ticket that costs hundreds or even thousands of pounds. Of course - some are still phone resistant and have every right to do so including my father (he's 86) and @sheebo s Dad and I agree that the £20 fee is steep. Agree some don't want them but Not sure you're right you don't need a phone for day to day life these days. Like it or not, you sadly do to get a job, pay bills, benefits, travel etc etc. its increasingly hard to not have the mobile internet, QR codes etc in your life although there are some low cost alternatives to expensive monthly subscriptions and the club have rightly tried to educate fans about this. .

Anyway if you accompany your Dad or your kid etc to the Albion and they don't have a phone. For the most part It doesn't matter because you can just load their ticket onto your phone instead. Hence - no £20. .

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You can use Apple Pay on an 8 year old iphone which in phone tech terms is pre-historic. I wouldn't recommend it for anything else, but there are plenty of older models available dirt cheap that could be used just for football tickets and left switched off the rest of the time.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Welk here's definitely some disengenuous stuff on this thread from those that like to stir it or kick up a fuss. But Smartphone ownership is now pretty universal except in small groups, especially the old - but even there its stereotypical to argue that they too don't own and use smartphones in very high numbers. And this is not the whole population, this is the subset that can afford a yearly season ticket that costs hundreds or even thousands of pounds. Of course - some are still phone resistant and have every right to do so including my father (he's 86) and @sheebo s Dad and I agree that the £20 fee is steep. Agree some don't want them but Not sure you're right you don't need a phone for day to day life these days. Like it or not, you sadly do to get a job, pay bills, benefits, travel etc etc. its increasingly hard to not have the mobile internet, QR codes etc in your life although there are some low cost alternatives to expensive monthly subscriptions and the club have rightly tried to educate fans about this. .

Anyway if you accompany your Dad or your kid etc to the Albion and they don't have a phone. For the most part It doesn't matter because you can just load their ticket onto your phone instead. Hence - no £20. .
Absolute nonsense. There you go again. You do NOT need a smartphone to pay bills. You do NOT need a smartphone to get a job. You do NOT need a smartphone to "travel".

I have a smartphone and have never used it to pay a bill, travel, get a job and I have never scanned a QR code in my life. Your arrogance is at times breathtaking. Now and then take a step back and think about how the club's decisions impact on others (like Sheebo's old man) rather than just blindly regurgitating the club's line on absolutely everything.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Despite the binfest, I agree this is a pisstake. My dad in his mid 70s has never had a mobile phone and never will - admirably in my opinion. To charge £20 to someone like him is a piss take tbh. Should be free for seniors.
I can understand if you said his age and condition meant he was unable to use a mobile but why you would declare it is 'admirably' is a bit weird almost like you see it as a badge of honour. What exactly do you or he have against being able to communicate with others?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Absolute nonsense. There you go again. You do NOT need a smartphone to pay bills. You do NOT need a smartphone to get a job. You do NOT need a smartphone to "travel".

I have a smartphone and have never used it to pay a bill, travel, get a job and I have never scanned a QR code in my life. Your arrogance is at times breathtaking. Now and then take a step back and think about how the club's decisions impact on others (like Sheebo's old man) rather than just blindly regurgitating the club's line on absolutely everything.
I've said i disagree with the clubs fee, i've said cos i've a similar Dad that i sympathise with @sheebo and the right of his Dad like mine to resist phone ownership , i've tried to argue that its increasingly difficult to do most things - eg: go to football matches - without the mobile internet / QR codes , and i've said that its worth acknowledging that phone ownership is universal especially amongst those can afford season tickets at a Premier League club. (it is). I'm sure you can do all these things without access to the mobile internet but these days job searching, bill paying, connecting with people is really hard without having internet access - which for most people these days is via mobile devices. I spent hours with my Dad last year - resetting his Albion account, sending emails to the club, finding his ID (his bus pass) , and having multiple chats with supporter services to enable him to have a physical ticket. So i think i have stood back and thought about this and the affect it might have on others.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

TBF he said 'increasingly hard'. I parked in a car park last week where the ONLY way to pay was via an App. It's only going to get worse.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
you have to have fairly recent one to run the apps.

Not true. I use a 6 year old Android phone for my season ticket. Same model goes for less than £20 on eBay. Don't even have a sim card in mine. Only app you need to run is the wallet which is a core part of Android or iOS so don't even need to install it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They probably have to charge just to stop freaks like me who'd rather have the card, because they like having it in their wallet!

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
smart phone not for me, I do use a mobile phone a very simple Nokia which does phone calls and texts. Cost very low and holds charge for nearly a week.
I have the plastic card and see no reason why my current card can not be used for next season. when we all had plastic tickets they were used in consecutive seasons.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Im aware of plenty of ppl that dont have a mobile phone not a smart one perhaps you are not im also aware ppl have no TV some by choice perhaps your are not but both exist
Do you live in a religious community ?
A) it’s to do with a personal choice - you seem to think society chooses what he should do?

B) I think as a generation thing as they are a new thing of the last 10 years or so / 25 years for mobiles it’s everything to do with age - as well as that thing again - personal choice. That’s not to say there aren’t many seniors with smartphones - it’s again, a choice. But I’d argue it a fact the biggest age group of people that don’t own a smartphone would be seniors, so would be common sense. In fact nobody should pay £20 for a bit of plastic how the tickets were always done if they choose not to own a smartphone.

C) It’s not an excuse it’s a choice - How is anything BS? Call BS on what exactly?

D) Wind your neck in - your attack on an innocent opinion post has genuinely f***ed me off now. Not often a post on here has irked me as much as that. Bellend.
It is personal choice, yes. That’s fine. But the club doesn’t have to cater for every personal choice.

Last edited:

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Chaileyjem is correct the country seems to be moving more digital. I dont get a programme often but when i do i need stick my card in the machine yet like elsewhere there is assumption im going to tap it. No way. I had a new bank card think was my American Express one and I ended up paying for someone elses shopping as scanned my card near tills. It can happen. I got my money back but thats not the point. I could easily have missed it on a bank statement especially if I only received online as in paper format Im more inclined to check it.
Country went all panic with Covid and never returned to cash. The other day the pub barlady said "oh cash, do we still take cash" thankfully they did or they were tipping a good couple of pints away. Going back to mobile phones yeah the world did function before these things existed and we had football too.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I don’t think it’s anything to do with tolerance. It’s when people think their particular life choice must be catered for by the club that people question.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do you live in a religious community ?

It is personal choice, yes. That’s fine. But the club don’t have to cater for every personal choice.
This is they key point really - standardisation suits the club from an admin perspective (including longer term if they want to upgrade turnstiles, use e-ticketing for away games etc etc) so they are trying to nudge everyone over to it and the very vast majority of STHs are probably already there. Having another option for a modest charge (which they flagged a year ago so it shouldn’t be a surprise) is still offered so there’s no real drama here is there ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports