Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Patrick's Day (night) in Brighton

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Its 'Day' as a Holy Feast was moved so as not to clash with Palm Sunday, or something tenuous like that. Its not simply because it is a weekday.

However, 17th March remains St Patrick's Day as far as most people are concerned, including myself. Ok?

Palm Sunday starts Holy Week so therefore until after Good Friday there shouldn't be any celebrating (I'm not RC but was told this by a friend who is) which is why it was brought forward to the Saturday.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Palm Sunday starts Holy Week so therefore until after Good Friday there shouldn't be any celebrating (I'm not RC but was told this by a friend who is) which is why it was brought forward to the Saturday.

That's correct. The decision to move it to the 15th this year was taken a couple of years ago. Early easter and all that. Main problem seems to be they didin't actually advertise the fact very well.

Wednesday is St Joseph's Day.

He is the patron saint of Austria; Belgium; Canada; China; Croatia; Korea; Mexico; Peru; and Vietnam.

Anyone know of a decent CANADIAN restaurant in Brighton, where traditional Canadian delicacies will be served, to the accompaniment of beer and ice-hockey on the TV?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Fiddlers Elbow isn't it, on Boyces Street. Best (and cheapest) pint of Guinness in Brighton.

Once apon a time a quality Irish pub: Setanta (when no-one knew what it was), big crowds for Republic of Ireland matches, Pogues & Thin Lizzy on the jukebox, the lot.

Nowdays a trendy studenty type bar, candles on tables, shitty jazz music etc etc. They've taken away half the orignal Irish decor and replaced it with more Guinness stuff. There's even a framed England rugby shirt on the wall. They only ever show the football if its Man United or Arsenal and even then with no sound on.

I don't celebrate St Patrick's due to it being a close family member's anniversary and the fact that the idiots with no Irish background hi-jacking the national day as an excuse to act like twats.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤;2338064 said:
Why does no one celebrate St George's Day? :shrug:

Oh, except for knuckle-dragging racists apparently.

A friend and I were talking about this at work a couple of weeks back, and we decided to do a quick, informal survey of the staff - of the 15 staff besides me and the aforementioned mate, only 2 could actually name the date of St. George's Day when asked to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a knuckle dragging racist (any kind of racist, for that matter), nor am I advocating some kind of stupid march to regain national pride or whatever else, I just found it somewhat strange that a group of ordinary, average English people couldn't even give the date of our saints day.

Dandyman

In London village.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You'd get a few expats digging up England shirts and getting turned away from pubs for wearing football shirts.... thats about it. Probably because Carling (about the only English beer you get commonly here) don't spent millions on promotions on said day....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You'd get a few expats digging up England shirts and getting turned away from pubs for wearing football shirts.... thats about it. Probably because Carling (about the only English beer you get commonly here) don't spent millions on promotions on said day....

Carling isn't English either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here