Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

st georges day march for ENGLAND in brighton

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What do you mean by national identity being threatened?

We ARE a nation of immigrants. We have a mixed identity.

What identity are you referring to?
until the 1950's we had no large scale immigration since the norman conquest, sure weve had immigration on a smaller scale such as the huguenots in the 17th century and the jews at the turn of the last century, but for you to peddle the line that we are a nation of immigrants is quite frankly ridiculous.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
until the 1950's we had no large scale immigration since the norman conquest, sure weve had immigration on a smaller scale such as the huguenots in the 17th century and the jews at the turn of the last century, but for you to peddle the line that we are a nation of immigrants is quite frankly ridiculous.

So it is the childish "We were here first!" (even though we weren't) argument?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Will a SINGLE right winger on here actually answer the question!?

What elements of our NATIONAL IDENTITY are being threatened?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
and your point is ? so you will no doubt agree that mugabe taking land from white farmers in zimbabwe , because the blacks were there first is wrong ?

I will completely agree. That's not exactly what's happening here though is it? No one is being killed and hounded off their land.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
but every other country that marches on their national day is fine right? If you dont want to go to a St Georges celebration, dont, which by the sound of it you wont.

Mr stoo82 where do i say i do not or am not going to celebrate........?
I will and am going to celebrate, but feel i dont have to march anywhere to do it.....thats all.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can a LEFT winger answer this ? Look at Luton as an example of where national identity is being threatened....

Left wingers don't need to answer this, because they don't get all jumped up about "our national identity" being threatened.

That wasn't NATIONAL identity being threatened. Rightly or wrongly, it was Brits protesting against other Brits.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I cant see where our Identity is being threatened. We are seen in most parts of the world as fat, lazy, loudmouthed, ignorant bigots and the Right wingers on this board and on those marches seem to be holding onto that identity just fine.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Will a SINGLE right winger on here actually answer the question!?

What elements of our NATIONAL IDENTITY are being threatened?

As someone that is right of centre I guess I'm a right winger so I'll answer.

Our national identity is NOT being threaterned by immigration but rather by the EU who want to standardise everything to make a US of Europe.

Quite what that has to do with celebrating Englishness I'm not sure. Things like Church fetes, scones and cream, morris dancing, footie at 3 on a Saturday ( OK - Sky have killed that off !!! ) - all things worth celebtrating as English but f*** all to do with some numbnuts wanting a march !!!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I cant see where our Identity is being threatened. We are seen in most parts of the world as fat, lazy, loudmouthed, ignorant bigots and the Right wingers on this board and on those marches seem to be holding onto that identity just fine.

Quite. That identity is stronger than ever.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As someone that is right of centre I guess I'm a right winger so I'll answer.

Our national identity is NOT being threaterned by immigration but rather by the EU who want to standardise everything to make a US of Europe.

Quite what that has to do with celebrating Englishness I'm not sure. Things like Church fetes, scones and cream, morris dancing, footie at 3 on a Saturday ( OK - Sky have killed that off !!! ) - all things worth celebtrating as English but f*** all to do with some numbnuts wanting a march !!!!

Agreed.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
As all official documents recognise, identity is self-defined: a black man, when filling in the census form, for example, can describe himself as "white British" if he so wishes. It follows, then, that one can define one's identity as an English man or woman according to certain racial and cultural characteristics. An influx of people with different racial and cultural characteristics will cause unease within the host community, most of the members of which hold to a particular, established view of what it means to be English. The views of people who feel uneasy - threatened, even - by successive waves of uncontrolled immigration should be respected and not dismissed. Their views are as worthy of respect as are anyone else's. People who hold such views - on either side of the political spectrum: mass immigration concerns people on both Left and Right - simply want to keep their country recognisably the same, which is a perfectly natural impulse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here