Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St.George or St.Alban ??( Must keep the Muslims happy)

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
St Alban is holier than St George
Christopher Morgan
THE Church of England will debate making St Alban an alternative patron saint because critics claim St George is too militaristic, potentially offensive to Muslims — and foreign.

Supporters of the change, to be unveiled in a General Synod motion this week, claim Alban may be more appropriate not only because he was real while George may be mythical, but because of his self-sacrifice.

Alban was a 4th century martyr who was put to death after hiding a Christian priest from the Romans in what is now the Hertfordshire city named after him.

The proposal may dismay many England fans, who have been flying George’s banner in support of their football team. The flag of St Alban would be a diagonal yellow cross on a blue background.

Philip Chester, vicar of St Matthew’s, Westminster, who is gathering support for his private member’s motion, called the choice of George, who according to legend was a Roman cavalryman from what is now Turkey, “dotty”.

He added: “We are not at all sure George even existed . . . but we are sure St Alban is a real figure. What’s more, he lived in this country.”

Chester’s motion, which needs the signatures of 100 synod members before it is debated formally, calls on Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, “to acknowledge St Alban as the patron saint of England.”

Williams appeared cautious last week. “I think St Alban is irreplaceable in the history of English Christianity. Perhaps we ought to raise his profile because it’s the beginning of the church in this country with martyrdom, wisdom and courage,” he said.

George has been England’s leading saint since knights brought his legend back from the holy land in the Middle Ages and he was adopted by Edward III as patron of the Order of the Garter in 1348.

Some modern vicars, however, shy away from marking his feast day because they dislike his association with the violence of the crusades against the Islamic world.

David Stancliffe, Bishop of Salisbury, said: “There was a time when the image of St George associated with belligerence was helpful, particularly in our imperial past. But I think there’s been a change and now we want to honour holiness.
alban_flag_sm.gif

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Oh yes lets trash our country and all it represents so we dont upset a few foreigners.

Clap.gif

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought St George was Turkish anyway?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So what? Having an identifiable culture is better than no culture and people who want to f*** with it(lefties and foreigners) just freak people out who then f*** off and vote for Griffen.:angry:

Shit why not make the flag a white cross on a white background?:tosser:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
That looks to much like the Jock flag with f***ing YELLOW.

YOU CAN f*** RIGHT OFF!!!!

Tooting Gull said:
I thought St George was Turkish anyway?
I always wondered why kebabs were the national dish of England.

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Wonder how happy the family of LCpl Jabron Hashmi currently are? Muslim in the service of the Queen, killed in Afghanistan, fighting another stupid little battle whilst politicians settle down to another night in their cosy homes.

It really isn't as simple as muslim vs the rest.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. and lived most of his live in Palestine ? .. and never set foot in this country, and most probably didn't know it existed.

.. and is also the patron saint of Moscow.

I sorry, we have quite crap patron saint.

I had an argument with a particular patriotic bloke at work about it, he said that his middle eastern roots were absolute rubbish based upon the fact that he was only a "myth" and didn't really exist like St.Patrick.

Work that one that.. I couldn't.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
clapham_gull said:

He's got something to do with Barca and milan as well because they have the cross of St george on their badges. Who cares if he never came here, he killed a dragon so that makes him a double hard bastard. Better him than some puss chops.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
clapham_gull said:
.. and lived most of his live in Palestine ? .. and never set foot in this country, and most probably didn't know it existed.

I had an argument with a particular patriotic bloke at work about it, he said that his middle eastern roots were absolute rubbish based upon the fact that he was only a "myth" and didn't really exist like St.Patrick.

Work that one that.. I couldn't.

I hate to break it to you but Father Christmas isn't English either. come to think of it nor was Jesus.
Why don't we say " Sorry, can we start again please"

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
RoyalAli said:
Barca and Milan have the St Georges cross on thier badges because they were founded by Englishmen, and hence honoured that by having the English flag on thier club badges.

Not sure that's actually true.

St George is a patron saint (I think) of Milan, as well as Moscow and various other places.

Whilst founded by an Englishman, the Cross on the club badge would have no connection with him.

Also featured on the Alpha Romeo badge is it not ? Founded in Milan

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
RoyalAli said:
Barca and Milan have the St Georges cross on thier badges because they were founded by Englishmen, and hence honoured that by having the English flag on thier club badges.

Barca, founded by a collective lead by a Swiss man. Who took the flag of the patron saint of Catalonia (St. George) as part of their crest...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
clapham_gull said:
Actually - I think the St. Georges cross is the flag of the city of Milan.

Yes, it is. Although AC were founded by an Englishman (Sally was right on that), they took the cross from the city flag.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
MYOB said:
Yes, it is. Although AC were founded by an Englishman (Sally was right on that), they took the cross from the city flag.

I presume (what with the dragon fighting stuff and all), they thought the badge would be intimidating.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
clapham_gull said:
I presume (what with the dragon fighting stuff and all), they thought the badge would be intimidating.

Nah, they'd have the Shagging Cilla Black stadium on instead then. Because its more intimidating than some sissy dragon killing.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, I find myself agreeing totally with the Looney one here, this is yet another example of political correctness gone mad. However, is this just yet another bit of tabloid spin ? I am that bothered I can't be arsed to find out !

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
bhaexpress said:
Well, I find myself agreeing totally with the Looney one here, this is yet another example of political correctness gone mad. However, is this just yet another bit of tabloid spin ? I am that bothered I can't be arsed to find out !

As the article indicates, the church has never been keen on St.George as the patron saint, he was just a tad to violent for their likings. As for the muslim bit, the ones I know can't underastand why we get ourselves bent out of shape about him.

This has nothing to do with Muslim's and all to do with the church trying to change our patron saint. a non story that will give Looney heart burn ... so not a total waste then

:lolol:

Dandyman

In London village.
clapham_gull said:

... who was Welsh. :D

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I saw this yesterday but am not going to get worked up about it because I cannot believe that this country would do that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here