Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] St Albans Cathedral commision repainting the last supper with Jesus depicted as Black

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine how this thread plays out if the painter simply painted Jesus with brown eyes instead of blue.

It matters as much for his message as his skin colour

Imagine how this thread plays out if it wasn't started by someone who is increasingly struggling to hide an agenda, is out of step with modern life (nothing wrong with that as a card carrying member myself), feels the need to remind all of 'the fight', while mentioning his personal struggles as some kind of excuse.
Finishing off with a final flourish but throwing out forgiveness like he's some kind of white Jesus.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Imagine how this thread plays out if it wasn't started by someone who is increasingly struggling to hide an agenda, is out of step with modern life (nothing wrong with that as a card carrying member myself), feels the need to remind all of 'the fight', while mentioning his personal struggles as some kind of excuse.
Finishing off with a final flourish but throwing out forgiveness like he's some kind of white Jesus.

You really are a sanctimonious cockwomble. You would do well to stop believing your own publicity.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Which reminds me that back in the day, one or two people thought our ex Chief Exec was the second coming, as there were so many people walking round Sussex saying "David Bellotti? Jesus Christ......"

Jimmy Grimble

I’m not normally your biggest fan on this board but you have absolutely nailed that :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah! Mary Magdalene....now she's interesting.

The early Christian church portrayed her as a prostitute for centuries. In Christian art she is always depicted wearing red (hence red light district etc).

So why would the Christian church have treated an apparent close confidant (if not more) of Jesus in such a way. It all kind of makes sense because red was the colour of the robes worn by a high priestesses of the Davidic line. That would have put her on a par with Jesus (if not superior to him).

The early Christian church was highly misogynistic (as the catholic church still is today and it was only in 2014 that the CofE appointed its first female bishop) The two things it wouldn't allow were:-

1) An acceptance of a woman at the same spiritual level as Jesus

and/or

2) A woman who may have had a romantic / sexual relationship with Jesus.

No surprise then that her gospel was excluded from the BIble.

One time I was in Israel, with my ex-mossad pal, I was shown Mary Magdalene's house. She was a wealthy and influential person of note, so I was told. Her status was revised by the Europeans who made up the Bible. :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It would have made life a lot easier if you had used the quote facility properly

According to multiple early testimonies he did
testimonies written at least 150 years later - and testimonies designed to reinforce the christian sect.

There is much evidence in subsequent literature that talks of his death. Very few theologians disagree on this. It is referred to in secular accounts. Also look up ‘Criterion of embarrassment' theory. It makes sense.
1. There is not 'much evidence'
2. You don't seem to understand the difference between theologians (who have a vested interest in promoting religion) and biblical scholars.
3. No - it doesn't makes sense.

I will refer back to Francesca Stavrakopoulou who made the point that those who argue that the literature from this period is historically accurate because this argument - ignores fact that ancient literature of this sort was not produced to be 'historical' in our post-Enlightenment sense. In relation to 'criterion for embarrassments and the death of Jesus - she argued - It's a daft point to make because hero cults, martyr deaths, were well respected religious tropes in Greco-Roman world... Plus Judaism wasn't as big or weird a problem for 'pagans' or 'Gentiles' in the empire as Christian scholars like to make out ... There's no archaeological evidence for Jesus, nor do we have 'eyewitness' accounts about the pre-death Jesus in ANY of the Christian literature

There wouldn’t be if we are contesting eye witness accounts.
yet you claim he 'rose again'

Read that again. I make no such reference
My apologies - misread the sentence

The earliest account is commonly held as Mark. Written about AD50-65. The first three gospels are synoptic and seem to come from an even earlier document known as ‘Q’. Look it up.
You are aware that there are serious question marks over the 'Q source' - and that many biblical scholars are dismissive of this. We do not know who wrote the 'Mark' gospel - and the first references to Mark writing a gospel come from the early second century CE.

Ignatius, Polycarp, Papias
Not primary sources - more of a case of knew a guy who met a guy stuff.

No leap of logic when you spent time over three years reading into it.
A massive leap - when you go into research with a preconceived notion and spent three years reading stuff to convince yourself that you are right then you can make such a massive leap of logic.

Blasphemy, as in claiming Christ was the Son of God, was punishable by death
To start with - there is no clear evidence that Jesus even existed - a figure know as Jesus probably existed although the figure of Jesus may have been a collection of facets of different individuals. There is no evidence that Jesus ever claimed he was the son of god - that comes from writings two or three generations later.

I wasted time watching an interview that doesn’t deny Christ’s existence
Clearly you missed the point of the comments by Stavrakopoulou - the issue isn't whether a Jesus figure existed or not - it is whether he was the son of a god - something for which there is no evidence.

The question will always be who Jesus really was, but his crucifixion is accepted as fact by most historians,
Not the case - in fact the vast majority of historians would argue that there is no evidence for Jesus (if he existed) being crucified

the disciples existed,
as I pointed out already - dozens of religious sects existed at the time - and thousands of 'disciples'

and the absolute dedication and adamant claims of them and some who were around at the time,
Not based on evidence

and its mushroom effect in the face of some pretty deadly opposition, is quite remarkable.
The early Christians were an apocalyptic messianic sect - in reality it was Paul who founded this sect and who then focused on recruiting Gentiles. This Christian sect split on numerous occasions (again - not unusual for the period). Christianity as we know it now survived because it became a useful tool for control in the second and third centuries CE - committed followers who could be used by political or state forces to enforce political decisions. Christians were promoted to prominent administrative and political positions in response. Christianity became consolidated when Roman emperors (specifically Constantine) needed a new power base within society - and the Christian sect provided a large and disciplined following to act as a social base.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

You forgot the bit of about my abhorrence of faceless keyboard trolls/warriors

If you feel that strongly feel free to get in contact with me and we can discuss your analysis of all my 'issues'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If you feel that strongly feel free to get in contact with me and we can discuss your analysis of all my 'issues'.

If you don't like the responses you get, perhaps you should give a second thought to what you write.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Don’t rise to it, unless they’re prepared for a face to face discussion all this tripe on line is irrelevant!

Keep reminding yourself of recent achievements and remember they are real.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see that placing a painting of a black Jesus above the altar is going to play well with the church's congregation who - I expect - will be elderly, white Anglo-Saxon and entirely comfortable with the traditional Christ image of the Robert Powell-style tall, white, bearded Jesus.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Woody Allen - check
Magic - check
Zombie - check
Superman - check
Komodo dragon - check
Telepathic - check
Vampire - check
Quantum - check
Hovercraft - check

Even Tim Minchin didn't venture that Jesus was a black dude. (You should watch and listen to this if you've not seen/heard it before)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1jSWy4Eck

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can't see that placing a painting of a black Jesus above the altar is going to play well with the church's congregation who - I expect - will be elderly, white Anglo-Saxon and entirely comfortable with the traditional Christ image of the Robert Powell-style tall, white, bearded Jesus.

Yes - I think that is the POINT of the artwork.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here