Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] St Albans Cathedral commision repainting the last supper with Jesus depicted as Black

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Jesus tat you say?!

There are some superb ones it has to be said.........

View attachment 125611

View attachment 125612

View attachment 125613

https://cvltnation.com/jesus-****ing-christ-bad-tattoos-part-iv/

Link knacked by the swear filter but easy enough to find, and there are lots...... :lolol:

E5C9A005-6E0A-4972-BF8A-5AEF9126A322.jpeg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Catweazel.jpg

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Textbook stirring from the OP. Throw in a little grenade, with a rather misleading title, then sit back and watch the fun.

Here's an article describing a little more clearly: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/cathedral-last-supper-jesus-black-man-a4484561.html

They've commissioned a new print, rather than blacking up Jesus on an existing image, as suggested.

A version of the Last Supper with Jesus as a black man is being displayed at St Albans Cathedral in support of Black Lives Matter.

Visitors will be able to see a high-resolution print of Lorna May Wadsworth's nine-foot take on the 15th century Leonardo da Vinci masterpiece when the Church of England cathedral reopens its doors on July 4.

And some relevant quotes:

Pot Kettle Black

Caught the 'heated' debate on ITV this morning before coming to work, with all that's going on in the UK, Covid, serious civil unrest, potential recessions and mass unemployment, as I originally asked where will this all end?

Whilst the girth is widening, the hair greying, I'm glad I'm 55 and not 25.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
One other issue: it always seems strange to me that "God" is seen by Christians/Jews/Moslems as male. Or at least depicted as such in religious paintings etc.

You'd think that this supernatural being that created all life would more logically be female, if it had to have any gender at all.
According to one portrayal, God looks remarkably like Alanis Morissette.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
as a Christian I find the idea of finding offense in this concept utterly ludicrous. We in the west have "decided" that Jesus was this mega white hunk with long flowing hair and all the rest of it. He was obviously ethnically middle eastern, having been born in modern day Palestine so would look nothing like the majority of depictions of him that we see- which I believe were mainly influenced by Italian artists.

I imagine a lot of "Christians" who haven't set foot in church for years will see this as an attack on their "faith"

personally I couldn't give a shit

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m more worried about the outrage if the next James Bond isn’t black or a woman, ideally a black woman

Bond was a jock, so what about Chris Iwelumo?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pot Kettle Black

Caught the 'heated' debate on ITV this morning before coming to work, with all that's going on in the UK, Covid, serious civil unrest, potential recessions and mass unemployment, as I originally asked where will this all end?

And a painter painting a new painting effects this how, exactly ?

*edit*

I don't mean to be confrontational but just don't rise to these type of things which are obviously specifically designed to get some sort of 'outraged' reaction. It's really not important :thumbsup:

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
20 or so years ago, I went on a guided tour of Soweto. Included in the tour was a visit to Regina Mundy, a Catholic Church where it all kicked off in 1976 (with bullet holes still in the ceiling and walls). On the outside of the church, there was a stained glass window with a white Mary Magdalene holding a white Jesus. On the inside, the same stained glass window had a black Mary and a black Jesus.

The priest, after regaling us with things that had happened in 1976, looked at me and asked if I thought Christ was white or black. I disappointed him by replying that, as a born-again atheist, I really didn't give a toss but he could be whatever colour the priest wanted him to be.

There were many paintings, murals etc inside the church featuring both black and white portraits of Christ so I guess they're as confused as everyone else!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pot Kettle Black

Sadly when ITV was mentioned is where this all went wrong

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair to the OP, religion is a belief system. For some, the more challenging the thing you require to believe, the better. A catholic pal of mine was happy to use radioisotopes in his research that fit into a physics and chemistry world that works only if the earth is (at least) hundreds of thousands of years old, and yet was delighted to believe that god created the universe (in which the Earth sits icentrally) 6 thousand years ago.

If the OP's religious belief is likewise dependent on believing the physically absurd then, yes, why not believe that Jesus was a blond blue eyed anglo saxon? In fact, he should Rejoice that his belief system is being challenged by clearly satanic 'BLM' weirdos.

Alternatively, mate, why not chill out a bit? We all know you have been under the weather. You won't make things better by channeling Victor Meldrew at the drop of a hat.

Here is an idea for you. Change. It happens all the time. Why not embrace it? When I was younger it was quite acceptable to slap a woman's arse in the workplace. It happened every day in at least 2 places I worked. That is now illegal. I don't feel that my world has fallen apart as a consequence.

Chose the things that warrant outrage a little more judiciously and all may become a little more serene.

And - very best wishes [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Having decided at about the age of 8 that all religions are absurd, this whole business is one of the smaller absurdities concerning religion, in my opinion.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Putting the 'interesting' stories of to one side and assuming this chap did exist, it's quite arrogant of the various churches to assume he was white in the first place owing to where he lived.

Parents called Mary & Joseph, probably whitish if he existed.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I always imagined Jesus to be of darker skin because of his origin but the popular image that is portrayed today by a large religious movement is taken from European painters and artists who's work decorate churches and literature worldwide. I never imagined Father Christmas to be anything other than the popular figure popularised by an advertising campaign by Coka Cola. Strange connection I know but I've never got why Jesus looked pale skinned when he was born where he was and Father Christmas was "invented" by a drinks firm!

I will go back to a football thread now. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here