Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sri Lanka

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I cannot really add anything as there is already great advice on here. Sigiriya is amazing and scary! I had a driver who was great. I didn't do a beach resort, I went to the Maldives for the second week. Everyone wants tips! Hotels I stayed in were amazing but do make you feel guilty when you see the poverty.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the post. Most helpful.

Which of the southern beaches was the best in your opinion.

Looking for a nice quiet beach but not too secluded in that there are restaurant options around the resort. Been looking at the south and west coasts. I think we'll also look at more mid too late November and hope most of the rains have cleared.

Cheers

None of the beaches in Sri Lanka are built up as such, Never seems to be any buildings more than 2 or 3 stories high on any beach front.

Unawatuna is the most developed and has the best selection of restaurants and bars.
Hikkaduwa also has a decent array of options on a slightly smaller scale.
Mirrisa is lovely but quieter, Could be the place for you though.
Tangalla has just a handful of restaurants and bars and is more a destination to hire a villa IMO.

Some pictures on my travels-
Mirrisa

Unawatuna as dusk, looking down the beach towards the temple. The beach the other side of the camera had 'disappeared' but check online for the latest info.

Tangalla, There are a few beach bars and food places looking down the beach the other way, But very quiet.

The further you head east along the south coast the rougher the water seems to get. There is some surfing at Tangalla but it's also fine to swim in, Una and Hikka are great for kids swimming as both have reef protection in places.

Last edited:

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
None of the beaches in Sri Lanka are built up as such, Never seems to be any buildings more than 2 or 3 stories high on any beach front.

Unawatuna is the most developed and has the best selection of restaurants and bars.
Hikkaduwa also has a decent array of options on a slightly smaller scale.
Mirrisa is lovely but quieter, Could be the place for you though.
Tangalla has just a handful of restaurants and bars and is more a destination to hire a villa IMO.

Some pictures on my travels-
Mirrisa

Unawatuna as dusk, looking down the beach towards the temple. The beach the other side of the camera had 'disappeared' but check online for the latest info.

Tangalla, There are a few beach bars and food places looking down the beach the other way, But very quiet.

The further you head east along the south coast the rougher the water seems to get. There is some surfing at Tangalla but it's also fine to swim in, Una and Hikka are great for kids swimming as both have reef protection in places.
Nice. Cheers.

I'll be seriously researching these areas at the weekend [emoji106]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here